997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Only pdk on new 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I just cannot understand the fascination with paddles.

Sure they are faster. But who cares when you are talking about such miniscule amounts? I buy a sports car for the overall experience and to me a serious part of the enjoyment is lost with paddles.

Sure I like the paddles on the 458 in traffic.
Sure on the track, to be able to stand on the brakes and just hold the left paddle down while the car auto downshifts and blips is cool
BUT - it takes away from the overall interaction with the car and having it feel like an extension of your body.

No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aa909
While the base TT and GT3 will be offered in PDK, my gut tells me that they will offer a 6-speed (7-speed) manual as an option.

But for marketing purposes as they pertain to 0-60, 1/4 mile and ring times the PDK is the faster setup and has to be the standard base option to compete with the field of super cars. Unfortunately this is what the "market" demands, and the majority of people buy the sizzle and not the steak. I still want the steak please

If true a 997.1 will be the last Porshce I own outside of a Cayenne.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raclaims
I just cannot understand the fascination with paddles.

Sure they are faster. But who cares when you are talking about such miniscule amounts? I buy a sports car for the overall experience and to me a serious part of the enjoyment is lost with paddles.

Sure I like the paddles on the 458 in traffic.
Sure on the track, to be able to stand on the brakes and just hold the left paddle down while the car auto downshifts and blips is cool
BUT - it takes away from the overall interaction with the car and having it feel like an extension of your body.

No one will ever convince me otherwise.
+100
Bloody true!

My dd is a DKG7 M3, perfect "body transporter", but I can't imagine my toys (993+7.1TT) not being MT for the same reason...

PS: I'm 41 too, not 25, perhap's another reason?...

Last edited by K24F; 03-23-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
gibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura aboutgibbonsc4s has a spectacular aura about
I just picked up a 2013 tt mt because I'm convinced it'll be the last time I'll be able to buy a new tt mt.

However- the same source that told
Me the hp for the upcoming 991 tt and tts and told me pdk only for both is telling me that the gt3 rs will have a mt option.

This flies against everything I've read regarding the direction that Porsche is going but i figured I'd pass it along.

I have to say I don't believe it but well see...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
+100
Bloody true!

My dd is a DKG7 M3, perfect "transpoter", but I can't imagine my toys (993+7.1TT) not being MT for the same reason...

PS: I'm 41 too, not 25, perhap's another reason?...
It's not an age-thing, it's a philosophy-thing.

Age can influence, simply because of available technology, but I've met 18 yr old's who like tracking old Z's (with single clutch manuals), and 60+yr old track goers (who have been tracking for decades) prefer dual clutches.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gibbonsc4s
I just picked up a 2013 tt mt because I'm convinced it'll be the last time I'll be able to buy a new tt mt.

However- the same source that told
Me the hp for the upcoming 991 tt and tts and told me pdk only for both is telling me that the gt3 rs will have a mt option.

This flies against everything I've read regarding the direction that Porsche is going but i figured I'd pass it along.

I have to say I don't believe it but well see...
I've read here (and heard other places as well), that although the new GT3 is only coming with a PDK, there may be a single clutch option offered later.

I don't see it happening with the Turbo. Not enough sales to justify.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Sighhhhh.....

Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I don't believe the US will be the major market for the TT, as China, ME and Russia are gaining even more momentum and the GT3's, TT's are now becoming more world GT cars. Which is less production costs for Porsche, and one global marketing message. Plus, I believe a great majority of 997 TT's are PDK already, so was easier decision for Porsche.

That said, having owned many manual Porsches, If I was thinking about buying a 991 TT, it would be a PDK, not manual, even if available. I just do too much hilly and "highway" stop and go traffic, and as I get older, manual becomes too much of a hassle when insensitive drivers are always on your tail.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
This pdk 'only' surprised me for Porsche. Porsche has had years to stop panic-driven mistaken mis-shifts to second at high road speeds in manual boxes by electronic means but failed to do so. Thought, this not stopping these forbidden panic-driven high speed down-shifts, was to fill their greedy pockets.
Mechanical overrevs with an interference engine cost drivers $20-40K because neither insurance nor warranty covers that horrific mistake. Ins pays if you hit a tree, but no way for a high-speed panic mis-shift even if it prevented a major life threatening high-speed accident.
Well Porsche now gets the big bucks upfront and the mis-shift money trap is gone....cannot mechanically overrev pdk box....computer stops all panic-driven improper down-shifts but this protection, if a protection, comes with a bit of loss freedom.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I guess this is one more reason I need to keep babying the current car - gotta make it last!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Talisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond reputeTalisman013 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I saw this coming.
That noise you just heard was the price of low mile mt mezger 997.1tt holding steady and creeping up.
They truly are THE LAST of the great turbos.

I hope this is true, I just bought a 997.1TT with 1900 miles.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RNS

I have limited seat time driving a PDK, but my initial impressions is it's only fun when driving at 9/10's or higher, and you want as little interuption in power as possible. While the manual can be fun at both 9/10's AND while just tooling around town. I personally enjoy taking the turbo out, windows down on a nice day, and casually rowning through the gears, feeling the connection to the mechanical nature of the car. An experience PDK won't offer. It's like the sports car industry (with all the 0-60 times, ring times / etc) markets only to driving at 9/10's in order to have fun.....do they not know we are mostly driving on public roads?
This. Right. Here. I dont need to speed in my 640HP turbo. I too like to putter around town in higher gears, rolling on the throttle to hear turbos louder than exhaust, then off the throttle - ba-ba-bak-bak-ba-bak-dak-dat-dat-dat. Then downshift to 2nd...da-dat-dak-dat, then 1st, the up again...never exceeding 35mph. Just having fun trying to get the best upshift and downshift.

The idea that this would be taken away, even though the car is EVEN faster now is simply repulsive. i may as well be driving a prius or a BMW M6 for that matter.

I'll prolly get 991 cab soon to replace my slushbox E36 cab creampuff DD. I'll be keeping my 996TT forever, but it's nice to know that I wont have to get used to driving a DD any differently...hurrah for slushboxes!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
rdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to beholdrdrozd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I guess this is one more reason I need to keep babying the current car - gotta make it last!
Or just make your Porsche repair guy your new wealthy neighbor...and enjoy every last ounce of performance out of your Porsche!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by rdrozd
Or just make your Porsche repair guy your new wealthy neighbor...and enjoy every last ounce of performance out of your Porsche!
Keeping this turbo running in cost even without a warranty cannot even come close to thousands to spend in buying a newer or new car and then the thousands lost in just depreciation.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdrozd
ha true. I should clarify, when I say baby it I mean getting all the required maintenance done, fluids, keeping it clean etc... I'll still drive it like I stole it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only pdk on new 911 turbo