997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Only pdk on new 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raclaims
I just cannot understand the fascination with paddles.

Sure they are faster. But who cares when you are talking about such miniscule amounts? I buy a sports car for the overall experience and to me a serious part of the enjoyment is lost with paddles.

Sure I like the paddles on the 458 in traffic.
Sure on the track, to be able to stand on the brakes and just hold the left paddle down while the car auto downshifts and blips is cool
BUT - it takes away from the overall interaction with the car and having it feel like an extension of your body.

No one will ever convince me otherwise.
Paddles are great for the younger generation who never learned how to drive a stick. this is why over 90% of sports cars sold are paddles. it has little to do with track time.

If done right, a paddle shift can be very engaging. 458 is a perfect example. i know many die hard stick shift guys that are very happy with it.

The only thing manuals have over paddles is the perceived control and emotional connection.

The exotic cars are all moving into deliverying different experiences based on driving modes chosen. Ferrari and Mclaren are great in delivering a race car experience with comfort using driving modes. I think Porsche is following the same path. The obvious goal here is a broader market segment.

Last edited by djantlive; 03-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
If I had to do it again, PDK for me. That manual 6 speed is nice but very dangerous, when shifting. I am thinking about installing the short shifter to prevent any shifting accidents. With the power these cars have now, imagine I missed shift on the new DFI engines.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Al Nunez
If I had to do it again, PDK for me. That manual 6 speed is nice but very dangerous, when shifting. I am thinking about installing the short shifter to prevent any shifting accidents. With the power these cars have now, imagine I missed shift on the new DFI engines.
Take some DE classes and you should be ok.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Funny

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
So I had my son out for a drive in my old BMW

He said dad...this car is so old fashioned. I asked why he thought so

He said well u have to keep moving that lever to make it go

I nearly drove off the road. The poor 6 year old boy got a half hour dissertation about why a manual is the proper choice

Damn. This new generation!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sonny
Take some DE classes and you should be ok.
Don't bet on DE classes.......under pressure at high speed during panic situations, things can always go wrong manually shifting thru gears with no electronic-safe guards. This was the big driving force for development of pre-pdk like transmissions for track use because professional drivers with plenty of classes in racing were destroying very-expensive-engines (mis-shift to 2nd @ too high road speed->mechanical overrev) via high-speed panic situations that demanded slowdown/speedup shifts for turns and/or more acceleration.

Last edited by johnww; 03-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
Keeping this turbo running in cost even without a warranty cannot even come close to thousands to spend in buying a newer or new car and then the thousands lost in just depreciation.

tru dat!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Then I guess is a matter of talent!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
in what way does this have to do with talent?

i have had 5 manual cars, im under 35, and im looking at pdk only. promise you im much more "talented" in manual transmission that you are.

still want a pdk.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
in what way does this have to do with talent?

i have had 5 manual cars, im under 35, and im looking at pdk only. promise you im much more "talented" in manual transmission that you are.

still want a pdk.

Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned
Now that's funny!!!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Talent's the wrong word. These past race car drivers, blowing engines via mis-shifts, obviously had talent. Call it nerves of steel to focus calmly/correctly in a crisis mode. Keeps me wide awake in any fast/furious street driving, may even be a bit of a safety factor. Certainly not for the weak of heart, non-enthusiasts best stay with automatics, dual dry clutch or old fashion multi-wet oil clutches....not much difference required in driver ability between these two.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by raclaims
that's why mine is mint with 10k miles on it!

word!!!!!:d

Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Bummer. Now I'll have to keep my 997.2TT manual.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Don't know about the supercar price (or classification) - but my money is on the new Z06/ZR-1 to be the new sheriff in town - with a traditional single clutch manual.
Yeah but it will still have paddles behind the steering wheel for the rev match feature because Chevy can't be bothered to make two different wheels for the cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only pdk on new 911 turbo