997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Only pdk on new 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
As with each new generation it's initially a love hate thing. Given the price point for the new Turbo @$170k for starters so easy $200k well optioned, I'm hard pressed to see the benefit initially. Porsche want to buy mine back and based on my time in a 991S if the Turbo exhibits the same clinical experience ill wait a while and enjoy the Metzger block and 6speed short shift with EVOMs 580. the 991 is an amazing piece of engineering "Porsche style" but, ill row for a while longer.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
quattrogeek is infamous around these parts
Long live the manual transmission!!!!.....

Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I'm calling BS on these pics. The side vents are a photo shop mess, the front grilles are the same as base 991 just with a bolt on lower lip, the front bar has no turbo front spot lights, that rear bar with the square quad pipes....yuk.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM
sshu930 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by K-E-V
Rumors are that the TT-S is going to be released at the same time as the TT this time.
Are we going to see official pics this year with it being released by next summer?

Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sshu930
Are we going to see official pics this year with it being released by next summer?
Yes...no...yes...no - you can play this game too.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speed21
I'm calling BS on these pics. The side vents are a photo shop mess, the front grilles are the same as base 991 just with a bolt on lower lip, the front bar has no turbo front spot lights, that rear bar with the square quad pipes....yuk.
I'll second the notion that the vehicle we see in the photos is just a testbed for Turbo drivetrain components rather than an actual finished production car being tested. What looks like a photo shop on the side vents is actually camouflage by Porsche to make the duct look like the 997 Turbo's as not to give away the styling of the new car. The inlets we end up with will probably more closely resembler the rounder ones on a 993 Turbo S and 996 Turbo than the angular evolution of it we saw with the 997.

That being said, I don't much care for the rear end here and am disappointed to see the Cayenne and Panamera design language permeating the range with the Boxster/Cayman and 911 following their lead.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
The new accents make sense in the evolution of the model. What did everyone expect? The same body, front, and rear of the last car? Reminds me of the new Quattroporte I just viewed the other day. Same exhaust and effects in general. Odd at first, but we'll have to get used to it...

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM
kauai_diver is infamous around these parts
Are there any technical reasons not to offer manual on the new Turbos?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Are there any technical reasons not to offer manual on the new Turbos?
Manual is pretty out dated with new technology and nobody is offering them. In 2009 Lamborghini said that 3% of their customers requested manual, and cancelled them. The exotic car market is heavily influenced by F1, so this makes sense. It seems to be the natural evolution of the auto industry and I remember at one time intermittent wipers replaced 2 speed systems. Now, intermittent wipers, airbags, ABS brakes, etc. are standard on every car and proven to be quite efficient.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
yup...and in 20 years with all the texting twittering and typing no one will be able to write long hand

Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Karman is infamous around these parts
I tried a PDK 911 just to see if I would like it last year when I was looking for a TT. With PDK, one can't glide in neutral in downhills, and my experience seemed non-engaging, and unsportsmanlike. when I also saw a glimpse of the new 991 body style, I wasn't impressed. I also didn't like the center console looking like a Panamera and making the interior crammed, along with a longer wheelbase. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that under 700hp, the 997.2 has the updated electronic console and styling to make it desiresble as any 997. I immediately bought one of the last new 2012 997.2 TT 6M.

In the past I have been able to predict a classic in the making. I think the 997 will be a classic, not to mention its perfected style, 6M, and production numbers. To my estimation, I think in 2012, only ~50 997.2 6M TT were sold in the U.S. during a 5 month production run. I counted all the U.S. VINs. If someone has official production numbers, please post it.

Most people don't buy these cars as daily drivers, so manual in occasional traffic is not bad at any age. Besides, the one's who can afford to buy these cars are older (>40), and prefer to drive a stick. PDK fits into the the current "no effort" younger gadget dependent lifestyle, whereas manual requires independent thinking, experience, and work.

As the demand for manual numbers decline over time, the supply of manual cars will also decline. This built in balance will allow the values to hold steady. You mean to tell me that classics and collectibles from the 1960s will cease to retain value because they don't have paddles? I don' think so. This will hold true for resale as manual numbers become more difficult to find. Just look at the car auction prices these days - higher than ever for non-paddle cars!

Long live the 997!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Karman
I tried a PDK 911 just to see if I would like it last year when I was looking for a TT. With PDK, one can't glide in neutral in downhills, and my experience seemed non-engaging, and unsportsmanlike. when I also saw a glimpse of the new 991 body style, I wasn't impressed. I also didn't like the center console looking like a Panamera and making the interior crammed, along with a longer wheelbase. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that under 700hp, the 997.2 has the updated electronic console and styling to make it desiresble as any 997. I immediately bought one of the last new 2012 997.2 TT 6M.

In the past I have been able to predict a classic in the making. I think the 997 will be a classic, not to mention its perfected style, 6M, and production numbers. To my estimation, I think in 2012, only ~50 997.2 6M TT were sold in the U.S. during a 5 month production run. I counted all the U.S. VINs. If someone has official production numbers, please post it.

Most people don't buy these cars as daily drivers, so manual in occasional traffic is not bad at any age. Besides, the one's who can afford to buy these cars are older (>40), and prefer to drive a stick. PDK fits into the the current "no effort" younger gadget dependent lifestyle, whereas manual requires independent thinking, experience, and work.

As the demand for manual numbers decline over time, the supply of manual cars will also decline. This built in balance will allow the values to hold steady. You mean to tell me that classics and collectibles from the 1960s will cease to retain value because they don't have paddles? I don' think so. This will hold true for resale as manual numbers become more difficult to find. Just look at the car auction prices these days - higher than ever for non-paddle cars!

Long live the 997!

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GFORCED
Manual is pretty out dated with new technology and nobody is offering them. In 2009 Lamborghini said that 3% of their customers requested manual, and cancelled them. The exotic car market is heavily influenced by F1, so this makes sense. It seems to be the natural evolution of the auto industry and I remember at one time intermittent wipers replaced 2 speed systems. Now, intermittent wipers, airbags, ABS brakes, etc. are standard on every car and proven to be quite efficient.
There is always going to be a "better" and more efficient way. I buy my food at the grocery store...however, many of my friends like to hunt, some even with traps or bow&arrows. I can tell you, the few times I've hunted, IT IS TERRIBLY expensive and inefficient, but offers a very unique perspective and enjoyment. As is the way with manual transmissions....will be for the minority looking for a different and more engaging experience.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Built to Blast
Originally Posted by thackl
There is always going to be a "better" and more efficient way. I buy my food at the grocery store...however, many of my friends like to hunt, some even with traps or bow&arrows. I can tell you, the few times I've hunted, IT IS TERRIBLY expensive and inefficient, but offers a very unique perspective and enjoyment. As is the way with manual transmissions....will be for the minority looking for a different and more engaging experience.
Very good points! Nice analogy too.

I think the simple answer is modern technology and meeting the consumer demand and competition. Just as we've eschewed rotary dial phones, floppy disks and tube TV's, phonographs, etc. at one point, we have to move forward. Those that still enjoy manual trannys seem to like the classic looking cars as well. So, there are plenty for all to go round and be happy. ;-)

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Karman
To my estimation, I think in 2012, only ~50 997.2 6M TT were sold in the U.S. during a 5 month production run. I counted all the U.S. VINs. If someone has official production numbers, please post it.

Besides, the one's who can afford to buy these cars are older (>40), and prefer to drive a stick.
If they prefer to drive stick, why do you think only 50 were made in 2012? That combination of statements makes no sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only pdk on new 911 turbo