997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Only pdk on new 911 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Karman is infamous around these parts
I've been looking for the past 3 years online. Production numbers have been declining almost at a constant rate every year. I searched all available new 2012 6M 911 TT Coupes from all U.S. dealers and jotted the VIN. There may be more, but I was only able to count 50 because 2012 was a very short run, and the GT3 had even a even shorter run. I couldn't order a 2012 TT because Porsche stopped orders for 2012 TT after 5 months of production because they were fast retooling the factory for the new 991. Remaining chassis numbers were dwindling. It was a nightmare to find the one I wanted from the few remaining cars that were available on the lots.

Another way of deducing how many may have been produced might be from PCA reports for all 997 turbos. Crude formula = Total world production x coupe:6M:cab:TTS sales ratios x 25% for U.S.A. x 5/12 month run.
Unless someone has published numbers. Or I'll ask next time I'm in the dealership.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
What I'm saying makes no sense is that you make the following assumption even though production numbers of manual transmission cars are ridiculously low:
Originally Posted by Karman
Besides, the one's who can afford to buy these cars are older (>40), and prefer to drive a stick.
If the dealers really thought that your above statement is reality, then why wouldn't they have ordered more cars that weren't PDK?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
This is why the 997.1tt 6mt just became an instant classic.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Nick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tt surgeon
this is why the 997.1tt 6mt just became an instant classic.
+1

Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Guess I should hold on to my mint 2007 997.1 6 speed with 7800 miles, GT Silver loaded! The PDK is amazing technology and I may give in if there is no other choice in the future. Wonder what my car is worth...

Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Karman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kpt6
What I'm saying makes no sense is that you make the following assumption even though production numbers of manual transmission cars are ridiculously low:

If the dealers really thought that your above statement is reality, then why wouldn't they have ordered more cars that weren't PDK?
When I say (>40) I am referring to the age of buyers. As far as manual vs PDK, it seemed to me that dealers were pushing for the TTS and/or PDK because that's what was more prevalent on the lots in the beginning of 2012. A majority of the manuals were over-optioned and close to TTS pricing. Naturally, they stand to make more money on those cars.

I ended up getting a slightly over-optioned 2012 TT coupe in May, or else I would've been stuck. It was one of the last new 6M TT cars in the country since there were no more allocations. Hey, it's better then nothing. I have no regrets. As far as production numbers are concerned, I am just conveying what I was able to count from online. Did I miss some cars, probably. But whenever I called the dealer, their searches didn't reveal any new cars that I didn't know about in my own search. Remember too, that my search was limited to ONLY U.S.A. 2012 TT 6M Coupes. Even if it's 60 or 70, it's still low. That's why I seized the opportunity.

As TTSurgeon said the 997.1 6M is and will continue to be a classic, but the 997.2 won't be lagging too far behind, especially if one wants to run stock. The weather is starting to break up here in N.E. and hopefully the car will come out of hibernation once the streets are steeped...

Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Karman
As TTSurgeon said the 997.1 6M is and will continue to be a classic, but the 997.2 won't be lagging too far behind, especially if one wants to run stock. The weather is starting to break up here in N.E. and hopefully the car will come out of hibernation once the streets are steeped...
997.1TT has the proven engine but 997.2TT 6M has way less production numbers since most people were swayed to get the all new PDK gearbox and the 997.2TTS PDK which came out several months later.

997.1TT 6M is definitely a keeper (last Mezger guarantees its place in history); but since I have a 997.2TT 6M, I'm still hoping that if the DFI engine stands the test of time, the 997.2TT 6M could be a pretty rare car with the last manual 911 Turbo title.

Last edited by DaBrat; 04-01-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Karman I guess you aren't picking up what I'm putting down. If manual really was so much more desirable among buyers, don't you think the dealers would've ordered many more manual trans cars than they appeared to, based on your research? Fact is most buyers prefer PDK. We have an awfully skewed perspective of the desirability between the two transmissions with us being here on the forum where enthusiasts come together.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kpt6
Karman I guess you aren't picking up what I'm putting down. If manual really was so much more desirable among buyers, don't you think the dealers would've ordered many more manual trans cars than they appeared to, based on your research? Fact is most buyers prefer PDK. We have an awfully skewed perspective of the desirability between the two transmissions with us being here on the forum where enthusiasts come together.
Agree. Manuals are a thing of the past. Flappy paddles are the now and future.

That being said, I'll be keeping my 930T and 997.2TT manuals and am looking forward to my next car with flappy paddles.

Best of both worlds!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by K-E-V
I just put down a deposit for a TT-S

Overall, I'd be jumping in because of the better electronics, handling, and power delivery of the 991, not for the style. I'd save up for a GT2 kit instead.
Wow, you're selling yours? You just finished making it awesome!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GFORCED
Manual is pretty out dated with new technology and nobody is offering them. In 2009 Lamborghini said that 3% of their customers requested manual, and cancelled them. The exotic car market is heavily influenced by F1, so this makes sense. It seems to be the natural evolution of the auto industry and I remember at one time intermittent wipers replaced 2 speed systems. Now, intermittent wipers, airbags, ABS brakes, etc. are standard on every car and proven to be quite efficient.
I'm going to stereotype here and I have to admit I have never had the opportunity nor the good fortune to ride in, let alone drive a Lamborghini. But could it be that Lamborghini drivers are more interested in more important matters (hair style, sunglasses, shirt collar and cuffs, etc.) than shifting?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by johnww
Car Mag, 3/13...Wolfgang Hatz (quote): "Next turbo will take 911 to new level and I will be honest, we will not have a manual anymore." They had a photo of it which seemed to show little change except for a smaller rear spoiler.
Right now the PDK option adds $4,550 to the price of a TT. Last night at the bar, Wolfgang Hatz and his colleagues decided by only making the PDK available, they could later pull out the back seats, door panels and a few other items and then offer a MT in a 991 TT special edition for a $25,000 premium...

Last edited by DoninDEN; 04-01-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
This is why the 997.1tt 6mt just became an instant classic.
People said the same thing about the air cooled 993. No thanks. As cool as those cars were(are), I'm looking to see what is next.

There are some that feel that the 993 was the 'last true 911', and the soul died with the 996.

There are always those who resist - and then later join in the fun, after realizing what they've been missing.

('Vette fans are going through this right now as well)

Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Built to Blast
GFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud ofGFORCED has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I'm going to stereotype here and I have to admit I have never had the opportunity nor the good fortune to ride in, let alone drive a Lamborghini. But could it be that Lamborghini drivers are more interested in more important matters (hair style, sunglasses, shirt collar and cuffs, etc.) than shifting?
You are correct sir!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
People said the same thing about the air cooled 993. No thanks. As cool as those cars were(are), I'm looking to see what is next.

There are some that feel that the 993 was the 'last true 911', and the soul died with the 996.

There are always those who resist - and then later join in the fun, after realizing what they've been missing.

('Vette fans are going through this right now as well)
...and they were right... have you seen prices on 993's?

I'm feeling bad about beating the crap out of my 997 now... I hope someone out there is keeping one mint for me so I can grab it in a couple years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only pdk on new 911 turbo