997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trip to Munich - Want to Rent 911 - Anyone Done This?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
Trip to Munich - Want to Rent 911 - Anyone Done This?

We are going to Munich this summer prior to going on a Rhine river cruise and we will have a number of days prior to the cruise to visit sites in the southern part of Germany.

We would like to rent a 911 at least for part of our time in the Munich area. Does anyone have experience doing this and if so, who did they use and how much was it?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 AM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
A friend of mine here in Edmonton is from Munich.
He visits his parents regularly. I've talked to him before about renting a 911 over there.
There are a few places that rent Porsche & I'll find out from him this week, & post later.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
AP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to beholdAP328 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks so much. Look forward to your post.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Frizz is infamous around these parts
Bring everything with you to proof you are already a porsche turbo driver. Otherwise they might not rent out a porsche, If anybody gets the slightest impression you wish to race on the German autobahn they wont give it to you. Good luck. You can try here
http://www.avis.de/fahrzeuge/prestige-flotte

It is also possible to rent direct from Porsche at fairly good conditions... but as always Porsche is pretty picky in choosing their customers. Normally you can only rent, when you are a alraedy a customer.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I rented a few times while on porsche driving trips thru Fast Lane Travel. Amazing company and the tours they plan are incredible. I've always picked up my car at (I think) the Avis directly across the street from the Graf Zeppelin HOtel in Stuttgart. It is in the train station.

I'd call ahead if not booking thru an established outfit like Fast Lane.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I have rented Porsches 911's from Avis in Liepzig, Germany at the Airport.
It is not cheap, nor is the fuel, but you will remember it forever.

Have fun, be safe and remember left lane discipline.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far. I rent a lot from Avis and so I think I will contact them first. If one specifies a 911 with them, has anyone had a problem actually getting the car they request?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP328
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far. I rent a lot from Avis and so I think I will contact them first. If one specifies a 911 with them, has anyone had a problem actually getting the car they request?
Yes Avis Prestige or Sixt has the new 911 as well, both coupes and cabrios but you won't get turbos (not sure that's what you want?). Can't go wrong with either. You can also rent from specialized sports cars places but they're $$$ and give you very low mileage without penalty. Make sure to read the whole deal and calc total cost because some of them won't let you exceed say 150 - 200 km per day (which you'll rack up in no time) and then 30 something cents for each km!

If you wanna do something really cool have a 6 am breakfast and hit A95 Munich Garmisch in the early morning on a weekend. Has virtually no speed limits for the whole autobahn heading straight towards the alps. Trust me one of the best public raceways out there with some beautiful scenery. I'm from Munich

Have lunch at one of the lakes or in Mittenwald in the mountains at the Austrian border and head back. You won't regret. Damn just thinking about it gets me really excited.

Whatever you do stay safe and keep enough distance to cars ahead of you. Speeding ok but tailgating is a major offense.

Last edited by Nurburg611; 04-11-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AP328
We are going to Munich this summer prior to going on a Rhine river cruise and we will have a number of days prior to the cruise to visit sites in the southern part of Germany.

We would like to rent a 911 at least for part of our time in the Munich area. Does anyone have experience doing this and if so, who did they use and how much was it?
Have not done this but wanted to on a business trip to Europe a few years ago so I looked in to it. Had help by a good article on this in one of the UK published Porsche mags...

Lets see if I remember the big things...

Avis at Frankfurt airport rents Porsches.

Need two credit cards. Be aware if a card offers rental car insurance the fine print probably excludes "exotics" even if the car is not as exotic as the car you drive at home. My AMEX excluded cars over $50K and all M-B, Porsches, etc.

Be sure you have enough insurance otherwise. Not sure if one's USA policy covers something like a Porsche rental car in a far away country.

Carefully -- and I mean carefully -- inspect the car before you take it and note *everything*. Take plenty of pics!

When you bring the car back inspect the car carefully and be sure you get a signed release form or whatever it is called saying the car was ok, or if not ok,that you have plenty of pics of the damage.

That inspect the car warning is not to be taken lightly: Miss one small dent when you take the car out and when you bring the car back that dent can cost you 600 Euros or more.

There's a mileage limit. Used to be 200km/day.

There are restrictions as to which country you can take the car. IIRC Italy was one and all eastern European countries.

In some countries -- Switzerland -- you need a tax disc or road disc or you will be pulled over and have to buy one. The rental car should already have this but check if you plan on driving into Switzerland. Similar tax disc rules/laws may apply in other nearby countries.

In some countries there are rules regarding safety equipment. Flares, reflective jacket, etc. Check with the rental car agency.

Tracking is strictly prohibited. Stay off the 'ring.

In Germany at some speed -- even if the road is unrestricted -- if you are involved in an accident you can be held to be 50% responsible, even if you are otherwise blameless.

Rules and such may have changed so you need up to date info.

Speed cameras are everywhere, at least in Switzerland where I drove some. I never got cited but a co-worker did -- I warned him many times -- and it was for 3kmh over the limit. The rental car company sent him a bill.

Lane discipline is enforced and in some areas you will be pulled over if you linger in the passing lane.

Oh, while I made it to Europe on a business trip, hitting Switzerland, Germany (sort of: Passed through it on a train), the Netherlands, and even the UK, I never had time to sneak away to Frankfurt or anywhere else and rent a Porsche. Spent nearly 3 weeks over there working like a dog.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Macster
Have not done this but wanted to on a business trip to Europe a few years ago so I looked in to it. Had help by a good article on this in one of the UK published Porsche mags...

Lets see if I remember the big things...

Avis at Frankfurt airport rents Porsches.

Need two credit cards. Be aware if a card offers rental car insurance the fine print probably excludes "exotics" even if the car is not as exotic as the car you drive at home. My AMEX excluded cars over $50K and all M-B, Porsches, etc.

Be sure you have enough insurance otherwise. Not sure if one's USA policy covers something like a Porsche rental car in a far away country.

Carefully -- and I mean carefully -- inspect the car before you take it and note *everything*. Take plenty of pics!

When you bring the car back inspect the car carefully and be sure you get a signed release form or whatever it is called saying the car was ok, or if not ok,that you have plenty of pics of the damage.

That inspect the car warning is not to be taken lightly: Miss one small dent when you take the car out and when you bring the car back that dent can cost you 600 Euros or more.

There's a mileage limit. Used to be 200km/day.

There are restrictions as to which country you can take the car. IIRC Italy was one and all eastern European countries.

In some countries -- Switzerland -- you need a tax disc or road disc or you will be pulled over and have to buy one. The rental car should already have this but check if you plan on driving into Switzerland. Similar tax disc rules/laws may apply in other nearby countries.

In some countries there are rules regarding safety equipment. Flares, reflective jacket, etc. Check with the rental car agency.

Tracking is strictly prohibited. Stay off the 'ring.

In Germany at some speed -- even if the road is unrestricted -- if you are involved in an accident you can be held to be 50% responsible, even if you are otherwise blameless.

Rules and such may have changed so you need up to date info.

Speed cameras are everywhere, at least in Switzerland where I drove some. I never got cited but a co-worker did -- I warned him many times -- and it was for 3kmh over the limit. The rental car company sent him a bill.

Lane discipline is enforced and in some areas you will be pulled over if you linger in the passing lane.

Oh, while I made it to Europe on a business trip, hitting Switzerland, Germany (sort of: Passed through it on a train), the Netherlands, and even the UK, I never had time to sneak away to Frankfurt or anywhere else and rent a Porsche. Spent nearly 3 weeks over there working like a dog.
All valid points. Yes I wouldn't advise speeding in any of the other countries and specifically Switzerland.

And just a thought, Sixt in Munich also rents M3 convertibles for about 100 - 150 EUR per day with no mileage limit. I get it, you said Porsche, in this forum section here we pretty much all drive one, but just throwing it out there as a sensible option to have some fun without a huge dip in your bank account. I rented an M3 for 10 days for some 1,200 bucks all in and had a great time. Just considered less exotic.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Off topic for OP: In case you haven't had this in your itinerary and are interested: don't forget Wieskirche. Very close and easy to reach from Neuschwanstein if you have your own car and could be scheduled in after your visit to the castle.
Wieskirche is on the Unesco World Heritage List; absolutely sublime interior.

Have a safe and fun trip. I am jealous; I had a small minivan during my trip to Germany.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks again, everyone, for the helpful suggestions. I have made a reservation through Avis Prestige and will be mindful of the things suggested.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Macster

I concur with this advice. I rented a 997 Carrera 4SCab PDK from Avis in 2011 from Frankfurt. I drove nearly 3,000km in little over a week - Stelvio Pass and various other passes, Austria, Switzerland, up to Berlin and back to FRA. I actually order a manual Coupe but I was happy to get the Cab. I didn't realise about the need for tax discs/carnet etc and I also didn't discover until later that I was only allowed to use the car in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and not Italy where I spent 3 days. As it happened, I didn't get stopped and had no issues on the road. When I checked the car back in, the Avis attendants who looked like a couple of gypsies found a "scratch" on the front guard. It must have been there beforehand and in any case would have polished out but they insisted on charging me for it. I argued for 30 minutes then had a plane to catch so they won. I didn't let myself get too mad over it because I didn't want to spoil an awesome trip. I got one small speeding fine in Switzerland which Avis passed on. On the Autobahn, I got my money's worth let's say.

Despite the considerable expense, I'd do it all again but will take notice of this advice more carefully on car pick up next time.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
check out elite rent a car (google). They are based in italy, deliver anywhere in Europe. I wonder how their prices stack up with Avis. But I think they are more flexible and not as **** as Avis?
Good luck, enjoy the trip.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I determined that Avis is the "official" renter of Porsche in Germany and renting from them was dead easy. I don't know whether being a frequent business renter with them made any difference.

We picked up a new 4S at the central railway station in Munich (car park about 1.5 blocks away), had it for a couple of days, did a run to Nuremburg one day. But most importantly had some fun on the unlimited sections of the Autobahn, which was one of the main reasons for the rental.

The rest of the time we had an E class wagon, with a tiny diesel engine that gave us almost 1200 km (almost 745 miles) on 1 and 1/4 tanks of diesel, despite often travelling at 180 to 195 kph (111 to 121 mph).

We think we might go back and rent a 911 for 7 to 10 days and use it as our primary mode of transportation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trip to Munich - Want to Rent 911 - Anyone Done This?