997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Opinions Wanted - Looking to Buy '07 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
The easiest and first thing you should do is call your local dealer, ask your service manager to run the VIN. He can tell you a lot as a starting point: ownership, service records, etc.
good luck!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
CarreraS997Blk is infamous around these parts
budget for a good warranty, i have fidelity and they just replaced all of my pulleys because they were squeaking a little after warming up.....enjoy after purchasing because they are a ton of fun!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StPatsDay
The easiest and first thing you should do is call your local dealer, ask your service manager to run the VIN. He can tell you a lot as a starting point: ownership, service records, etc.
good luck!
Most, if not all, dealers will cite confidentiality and not disclose any info even if it's in their database. If it was serviced somewhere else your dealer won't be able to help anyway.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
ryem3 and kpt6. Yep EVT775. The DME was not out of the usual and other than the intake leak the ran like a top. The tires were the least of my worries. Long, long, long story short other than pulling the motor to fix the chain housing seal the car needeed two new turbos. You can only imaging what my bill was!
After a week of the car running fine now a lit CEL and a few diagnostics later the car needs a bank 2 intake cam shaft. Instead of replacing the cam w a new one im having both intake cams removed, pinned and replaced.
This isnt a thread about my bad luck....I just thought Id share my expierence to someone who could end up in the same boat if they wernt careful.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Yepper..the car finally made it to austin after 5 weeks w EVOMS. It ran excellent for just under a week until the P0021 CEL light which now has me replacing a set of (now being pinned by Protomotive) intake cams. Like I said...I really do love my new car but I had REALLY hoped all the Porsche - Metzger "bulletproofness" would hood true for me. Guess not....
That is what I am saying!
All this usual talk about how Turbo and its 3.6 are bulletproof and just do not break down skew potential purchasers' view of the car, this talk and their self-justification lulls the potential buyers in believing 997.1T is invincible, even 5y old ones with 50k miles, and one just needs to change tyres and fuel it. One guy even said that maintenance cost on a Turbo is 200-300 bucks a year!
I am sure there are cars like that out there but these are outliers.
Turbo can turn up to be very expensive to own, even the non-modded ones. One has to approach a purchase of 997.1T with a cool calculating head.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
EVT 775. I would put that in the category of heavily modded. I think the risks multiply 10X buying such a car. Sure, there are many that are "fine". Anyway, I mentioned the tires not in respect to the cost, but only because I find they are clear indicator of use. Worn edges, bad alignment, it all shows in the tires. If they are just replaced with low mileage, that also tells you something. Really unfortunate you needed to invest so much in the car.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM
sshu930 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
EVT 775. I would put that in the category of heavily modded. I think the risks multiply 10X buying such a car.
I agree with this. I just read another thread about a person spending 10k in the first year of ownership for repairs with his heavily modded turbo.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Haha ya Im WAY past that....

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Haha ya Im WAY past that....
Did the guys at EVOMS do any "post mortem" or other analysis on what they think caused the problems. Turbos going sounds so random - I don't think I've read in any of the forums about that happening before.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
No not really. To be honest...I felt like if they knew they would have told me. When your car is 1100 miles from home what can you do but trust the people doing the work.
On that subject...anyone know why BOTH turbos would go bad?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
911t-gts is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SingleMalt
I am looking to buy a 2007 997.1 Turbo coupe and have come across one that I was close to buying. Then I found out that it was involved in a slight accident. It was rear-ended at a stop light and apparently only had a few scratches (the bumper was not even replaced, just touched up). However, given that it was a more expensive car, a police report was filed and now it shows as being involved in an accident on the AutoCheck report. Even though the AutoCheck report shows an accident it still has a clean title and qualifies for the AutoCheck buyback protection.

While I want to believe the seller, there is no documentation to back up what he is claiming - no pictures, no repair bills, nothing proving it was a slight accident. The AutoCheck report provided a accident report number, so I have requested a copy of the police report that was filed and expect to receive it this week. Hopefully the police report corroborates what the seller is saying, but if it does not I may need to pass.

Either way, I may just have it checked out by the local Porsche dealer ($420 for a PPI).

Does anyone have an opinion on buying based on a guy's word and given the facts surrounding the AutoCheck?

I can get this car for $65k and it has 29k miles on it, but it is a 5-owner car (seems high). No mods, no known issues, 6-speed. Car has lived in SC, FL, KY, and TN.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Recommend you walk away and don't look back. In my opinion, $65K is still a ton of money for a 6-7 year used car with this much uncertainty; regardless of what's on the AutoCheck, police report, paint meter, PPI, DME, etc. Don't waste any more time with it. Be patient and keep searching...

Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911t-gts
Recommend you walk away and don't look back. In my opinion, $65K is still a ton of money for a 6-7 year used car with this much uncertaint.
forgive me, but i think a turbo porsche with the last of the mezger engines deserves a bit more scrutiny, and might possibly even require another set of criteria you ( we?! ) someone, might use to dismiss the car ( out of hand ) as a "run of the mill" read: *ordinary* used car. without even knowing for certain WHY ( and perhaps more importantly, IF? ) it might not be worth 65k. since when is a relatively low mileage well kept no obvious damage/issues etc 997.1 turbo NOT worth 65k!? possibly one that survived hurricane sandy?! ok, sure.. but. a rhetorical question, to be sure. but really, "due diligence", is just that... due.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM
SingleMalt is infamous around these parts
Thanks to all for some great advice. This forum is a great resource with a lot of first-hand knowledge, so I really do take the advice seriously.

Originally Posted by 911t-gts
Recommend you walk away and don't look back. In my opinion, $65K is still a ton of money for a 6-7 year used car with this much uncertainty; regardless of what's on the AutoCheck, police report, paint meter, PPI, DME, etc. Don't waste any more time with it. Be patient and keep searching...

I was very close to walking away, and still may, but I am being very patient / methodical. After a lot of digging, paying for a police report, talking to insurance agents, others involved.......I have found out that the accident was in fact a nothing event. The agency that was ultimately responsible actually talked to the owner of the car and a claim was never paid - the insurance company never even needed to send an adjuster out to see the car / assess the damage. So it does really check out in terms of it being a "scratch" or a bump at a stoplight. The police report was incredibly detailed, so it gives me some confidence in the story. That said, there are still some things I dont love about the car, and to stay interested I may have to just low-ball it. What is it worth, I dont really know, but would I pay $60k for the car...that is probably a price I would give it more thought. 60k doesnt seem like a "ton of money" for this car when the '07tt coupes seem to be in the range of 70-85k for what I am looking for.

At the end of the day, I found a cpo car from a porsche dealer (san diego) http://www.porscheofsandiego.com/pre...info.php?VHR=1
and this car seems to be the safer pick (one owner, cpo, no "accidents" or stories, etc.).

Thanks again to everyone that is helping me make this decision. Next step - see if $60k is possible and then it will be a harder decision.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
it's not a "ton of money" you've got that right... and it sounds as if the accident is a *relative* non issue relative to the car's "integrity". yeah, paint matters, but. whatever. $60-65k for a well kept 997.1t? seriously.

hour and half drive for me. let us know if you pass.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
SingleMalt is infamous around these parts
I will let you know how the process ends up and will give you the info/research materials once I make a decision / if I decide to pass.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
it's not a "ton of money" you've got that right... and it sounds as if the accident is a *relative* non issue relative to the car's "integrity". yeah, paint matters, but. whatever. $60-65k for a well kept 997.1t? seriously.

hour and half drive for me. let us know if you pass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Looking to Buy '07 Turbo