997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

BMC Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
These things are basically novelty items for the enthusiast. I recall the ones i've had in previous japanese cars (Z332TT, Nissan S15 Silvias GTR/s..did the low volume compliance on these cars for some years as a sideline operation) all did nothing in terms of delivering anything tangible. They get dirty quickly and when you clean them you get to see daylight through the weave. Re oiling is another issue again. Knowing that the air and and debris always travels the path of least resistance you don't need to be a brain surgeon to know particulate is getting into the engine through these openings. I get to see the results of dusted engines and components quite regularly due to insufficient/or faulty air filtration. Do i want my Porsche engine to become one of them. Hmmm. No thanks.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu

Sorry. Missed this. What do these graphs relate to? I see they refer to GT3 air box...

Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
These things are basically novelty items for the enthusiast.
is this a reference to the cone filter eg k&n such as the agency power kit use? this i am genuinely curious about. i have never heard of issues though less of those setups are ( presumably ) in use than simple flat panel drop in's.

so are we still on about bmc flat panel filters? i do like how the conventional *wisdom* to not fouling mafs is to simply NOT oil your oiled filter(?!) nice! or be very judicious when following the recommended cleaning protocol. i mean, they sell kits for cryin out loud. so, yeah, use the filter. just don't clean it incorrectly or even clean it according to the mfg's instructions that works well too

countdown for someone to post k&n's rebuttal to "just say no to oiled filter's" white paper lol. still curious if anyone can add info about the difference btw the flat panel and the cold air setup using cone k&n's. tia.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Sorry. Missed this. What do these graphs relate to? I see they refer to GT3 air box...
Dyno runs after replacing the filter elements with a cotton/oil replacement. One for a N/A 996, one for a F/I 996.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
is this a reference to the cone filter eg k&n such as the agency power kit use? this i am genuinely curious about. i have never heard of issues though less of those setups are ( presumably ) in use than simple flat panel drop in's.

so are we still on about bmc flat panel filters? i do like how the conventional *wisdom* to not fouling mafs is to simply NOT oil your oiled filter(?!) nice! or be very judicious when following the recommended cleaning protocol. i mean, they sell kits for cryin out loud. so, yeah, use the filter. just don't clean it incorrectly or even clean it according to the mfg's instructions that works well too

countdown for someone to post k&n's rebuttal to "just say no to oiled filter's" white paper lol. still curious if anyone can add info about the difference btw the flat panel and the cold air setup using cone k&n's. tia.
Id be surprised if they cleaned and reused these things in the motor racing circle. Maybe the budget guys might but i doubt the frontrunners with the big budgets would.

I think you are right in saying best don't clean it or attempt to re oil it. Too much chance of human error as well. The ones i've had personal experience with were a mix of K and N and BMC in mainly cone but there were some flat panel ones too. All looked the same to me. I got rid of the ones in my own personal cars. Customers always liked the thought of having everything working for them so we were happy to supply and fit. We did a number of HKS and Apexi product fit ups there at one stage....exhausts etc. Business is business IYKWIM. The fact you can see daylight in a lot of areas particularly after a period of use and/or clean is suffice to say there is an obvious risk/likely hood of particle contamination occurring to a certain degree. But if customers like em fine by me. You just don't have this issue with any of the new nanofibre paper filters they use these days.. I still maintain if you cant feel any gain why bother....

Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bbywu
Dyno runs after replacing the filter elements with a cotton/oil replacement. One for a N/A 996, one for a F/I 996.
What does sharky say? He dyno'd and found zip so he says. I guess these graphs came from a BMC supplier lol. Love to see the OP's graphs....and Alex's. Then we all may have something more relevant to view given these cars were 997tt and 997GT3 RS.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
I still maintain if you cant feel any gain why bother....
100% and thanks. but that agency power kit would sure be nice to SEE every time i opened the rear bonnet man, that's a clean engine comp..and again, i'm not as concerned about the cone filters, as i am *flats* but defer to your expertise.

semi related.. i truly believe that mafs fail more from increased current/power spikes/rev limiter pinning etc. rather than oil from the freaking filter. but who knows. more knowledgeable folks than me, i'm sure.

still to me, cleaning mafs (ugh) is total cheese whiz. worse even ( imo ) than cleaning 100$ air filters, but that's just me.. too. but no disrespect meant to those, for whom it seems to *work*.

but either way, i will forever remain dubious about the wisdom of using them or cleaning parts that should be(?) (.. in terms of cost ) well within the margin of.. **** it,.. let's start *fresh*.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned
100% and thanks. but that agency power kit would sure be nice to SEE every time i opened the rear bonnet man, that's a clean engine comp..and again, i'm not as concerned about the cone filters, as i am *flats* but defer to your expertise.

semi related.. i truly believe that mafs fail more from increased current/power spikes/rev limiter pinning etc. rather than oil from the freaking filter. but who knows. more knowledgeable folks than me, i'm sure.

still to me, cleaning mafs (ugh) is total cheese whiz. worse even ( imo ) than cleaning 100$ air filters, but that's just me.. too. but no disrespect meant to those, for whom it seems to *work*.

but either way, i will forever remain dubious about the wisdom of using them or cleaning parts that should be(?) (.. in terms of cost ) well within the margin of.. **** it,.. let's start *fresh*.
Yep that shower stuff draws some interest lol...takes the definition of crap to an entirely new level never seen before..

The stock air filter is relatively inexpensive (my last one bought):

6 997-110-131-74 AIR FILTER 1 42.00 42.00

The stock unit needs no guess work or margin for human error. Kinda looks cheap in price in comparison to the BMC that delivers nothing for the butt dyno yet asks so much from the user in terms of effort and risk. Unlike the nicorrette it's like smoking with the cancer lol.

I take 997ttmeisters car as a recent case in point. If Porsche techs said it was the oil from the BMC filter contaminating the maf then i'd be inclined to accept their findings. Plus he didn't have the problem until he fitted the damn thing so go figure. Mafs are very sensitive components. They need to be to do the job they are there to do. I'm sure many reasons could be claimed for a MAF cel and oil is one of them.

I guess if these filter guys could offer washable oil and fuel filters and have you believe your oil is flowing better too they'd probably sell by the container load to the motoring enthusiasts LOL. Could even colour em red and sell more (ok.. being silly here). But main problem I guess is because you can't get to see em once fitted the interest would be weak lol. You need to be able to open the engine lid and gaze over the carbon fibre air box with the red go fast filter. Its all part of the packaging. I guess this is where 991 makes it hard for the AM airbox cone filter crew.....you don't have an engine lid any more to gaze over the trinket.

Last edited by speed21; 04-06-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Yep that shower stuff draws some interest lol.

The stock unit needs no guess work or margin for human error. Kinda looks cheap in price in comparison to the BMC that delivers nothing for the butt dyno yet asks so much from the user in terms of effort and risk. Unlike the nicorrette it's like smoking with the cancer lol.

I take 997ttmeisters car as a recent case in point. If Porsche techs said it was the oil from the BMC filter contaminating the maf then i'd be inclined to accept their findings. Plus he didn't have the problem until he fitted the damn thing so go figure. Mafs are very sensitive components. They need to be to do the job they are there to do. I'm sure many reasons could be claimed for a MAF cel and oil is one of them.

I guess if these filter guys could offer washable oil and fuel filters and have you believe your oil is flowing better too they'd probably sell by the container load to the motoring enthusiasts LOL. Could even colour em red and sell more (ok.. being silly here). But main problem I guess is because you can't get to see em once fitted the interest would be weak lol. You need to be able to open the engine lid and gaze over the carbon fibre air box with the red go fast filter. Its all part of the packaging. I guess this is where 991 makes it hard for the AM airbox cone filter crew.....you don't have an engine lid any more to gaze over the trinket.
Anyone know how to remove the foam from the OEM element - according to Porsche, it's only on there as a sound filter not an air filter.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Anyone know how to remove the foam from the OEM element - according to Porsche, it's only on there as a sound filter not an air filter.
Yeh i heard that as well. Maybe just slice it out with a knife and see if there is any difference in the sound..... It could well be just there to knock back the vacuum cleaner sound from the stock exhaust? Who knows....thankfully i don't have that problem since the EP.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM

The stock unit needs no guess work or margin for human error. Kinda looks cheap in price in comparison to the BMC that delivers nothing for the butt dyno yet asks so much from the user in terms of effort and risk.
must be a us/aus currency thing? i get the mahle for 20 US. not bad.

true enough, oils is certainly one, but porsche factory techs i have found are ( generally ) VERY *by the book* and have little experience beyond fixing to spec and you and i both know, they HATE aftermarket parts, or at least will attempt to dissuade anyone from using them, in nearly any circumstance. so, that THEY might not favor the bmc isn't really a factor ( for me ).. but your point is well taken, and i agree on the oiled maf as another *potential* downside issue. real world, but again, at the risk of repeating myself ( this is new? ) it is primarily increased power mods that confuse/overburden/FRY mafs. again, not empirical evidence, just purely experiential and a notable tuner also confirmed as much.

I guess this is where 991 makes it hard for the AM airbox cone filter crew.....you don't have an engine lid any more to gaze over the trinket.
funny as i was going to mention the 991s engine comp! lol. shoulda seen me tugging on it after a drive. trying to open it, thinking it was similarly designed.. only to find.. lo and behold... NO ENGINE and only an oil fill .. but what i meant to ask.. are the reported gains of approx 10 hp from the cone cold air intake.. maybe with plenum and larger tb? even more etc etc? is that not a bit more than *buttdyno" wishful thinking?

or do you not believe in the reported/( ok, advertised ) numbers of say, 10 hp w/ that system..? withOUT fouled mafs etc.

your take,... if you will?

add: no carbon fibre on MY airbox. cheezwhiz personified LOL

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 04-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

true enough, oils is certainly one, but porsche factory techs i have found are ( generally ) VERY *by the book* and have little experience beyond fixing to spec and you and i both know, they HATE aftermarket parts, or at least will attempt to dissuade anyone from using them, in nearly any circumstance. so, that THEY might not favor the bmc isn't really a factor ( for me ).. but your point is well taken, and i agree on the oiled maf as another *potential* downside issue. real world, but again, at the risk of repeating myself ( this is new? ) it is primarily increased power mods that confuse/overburden/FRY mafs. again, not empirical evidence, just purely experiential and a notable tuner also confirmed as much.

funny as i was going to mention the 991s engine comp! lol. shoulda seen me tugging on it after a drive. trying to open it, thinking it was similarly designed.. only to find.. lo and behold... NO ENGINE and only an oil fill .. but what i meant to ask.. is the rep[orted gains of approx 10 hp from the cone cold air intake.. maybe with plenum and larger tb? even more etc etc? is that not a bit more than *buttdyno" wishful thinking?

or do you not believe in the reported/( ok, advertised ) numbers of say, 10 hp w/ that system..? withOUT fouled mafs etc.

your take,... if you will?
Yep P techs being by the book or not, 997ttmeisters case would be a hard one for anyone to argue least of try to defend. As he said, the problem didn't exist until the moment he stuck the damn filter in. From that point onward he had nothing but drama and costs. Never felt any gain either if i may add....

....well from my understanding there was a recent thread over on RL (and on 991 6) about a member (DBYT i think) who fitted the new FS dual cone offering to his 991S. He paid damn good money for a couple of cones and a piece of pipe too... talk about margining the product LOL!

Anyway it didn't go far at all before throwing a CEL and when he took it to the dealer they had kittens when they saw the thing....not that i would blame them given it breathed directly from the engine bay.....not via the lid venting so it would have copped all the heat and dust from the immediate engine area which as you know is unsealed from underneath so to provide natural ventilation to the engine (as is the case with all porsches). No wonder they pointed him straight towards the door. They (P) fingered heat induction as a real problem and i'm sure there were other issues as well the P techs would have commented on.

The wash up was FS gave up and put the stock airbox back on his car which was a very wise move imo. I feel sorry for the guy for the trouble he was put through. It's probably back the drawing board for FS while we speak. So much for "tried proven and dyno tested" LOL!!!

Last edited by speed21; 04-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
I forgot to mention that it took two sets of fouled plugs to find out that the MAFs were shot. That cost me $600 for the first, the second they covered by warranty.

The point is that this mod should never be recommended, it is just not worth the risk.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Yep P techs being by the book or not, 997ttmeisters case would be a hard one for anyone to argue least of try to defend. As he said, the problem didn't exist until the moment he stuck the damn filter in. From that point onward he had nothing but drama and costs. Never felt any gain either if i may add....
ok, but.. did he (997ttmeister) not say he put in a FLAT panel bmc? rather than the cone filter setup? i may have misread as i'm wondering about potential power gains,.. absent issues, with the ap kit with the k&n cones. as i've heard they are NOT as problematic, or even that issues with mafs might somehow lead to the airbox/intake/filters as the cause. i will go back and read, forgive me if i'm losing track, though it IS my round

....well from my understanding there was a recent thread over on RL (and on 991 6) about a member (DBYT i think) who fitted the new FS dual cone offering to his 991S. He paid damn good money for a couple of cones and a piece of pipe too... talk about margining the product LOL!
i can't even speculate on their use in the 991 as i know so little about their "differences" from *our* ( well, we're *related*? ) platforms. in fact, i wish i had pics of my attempts to open the 991s rear decklid manually was classic!

Anyway it didn't go far at all before throwing a CEL and when he took it to the dealer they had kittens when they saw the thing
agreed, and to my earlier point.. i only WISH i still had factory porsche techs telling me, use this, don't use that etc.. it would mean i was still under warranty

Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 997TTMeister
I forgot to mention that it took two sets of fouled plugs to find out that the MAFs were shot. That cost me $600 for the first, the second they covered by warranty.

The point is that this mod should never be recommended, it is just not worth the risk.
Couldn't agree more. You could maybe (and i mean maybe) half understand it if it gave out a lot of power but it doesn't even do that. Crazy.

ok, but.. did he (997ttmeister) not say he put in a FLAT panel bmc? rather than the cone filter setup? i may have misread as i'm wondering about potential power gains,.. absent issues, with the ap kit with the k&n cones. as i've heard they are NOT as problematic, or even that issues with mafs might somehow lead to the airbox/intake/filters as the cause. i will go back and read, forgive me if i'm losing track, though it IS my round
Yes flat panel. But the cones don't do anything anyway other than pose the same risks i.e. they get to breath hot air from the engine bay along with all the particles etc ..,and not through the decklid venting. The AP and FS look the same thing from what i see....probably from the same shower supplier in China. If you want one there is a new member Leo on RL that only just bought this exact cone set up and wants to unload it. I can get him to PM you if you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMC Air Filter