997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

BMC Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
If you want one there is a new member Leo on RL that only just bought this exact cone set up and wants to unload it. I can get him to PM you if you want.
appreciate the offer, as well as the info. but after all of this, i am far less inclined to mess with it. for now. a shame..as i've always liked cones
cheers.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
appreciate the offer, as well as the info. but after all of this, i am far less inclined to mess with it. for now. a shame..as i've always liked cones
cheers.
Fabspeed carbon fiber Air intake is a joke, don't get it!!!

I'm really but really glad that i sold that system already (on ebay)

I'm back with the original intake and BMC air filter. I really like it so far, i'm not sure if i gain any hp but the car feels better.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	228833  

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-06-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
must be a us/aus currency thing? i get the mahle for 20 US. not bad.
Just think. 20 bucks for a Mahle that gives 3 hp more and no hassles vs a 150 buck BMC that does squat other than have you playing a maintenance guessing game along with imposing other potential risks to your engine. LOL! Talk about mark up. Forget the red cotton..i'm surprised they aren't painting them pink .

Originally Posted by Leo997TT

I'm back with the original intake and BMC air filter. I really like it so far, i'm not sure if i gain any hp but the car feels better.
Congrats Leo! Well the shower "joke" has now been shifted to someone else thankfully. By the time it finds its final resting place it may well pass through 100 different hands. That thing would be like a game of passing the parcel lol. Someone will eventually own it and believe in it .

Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
I wish i read more before i bought that sauna filter... it was a wasted

"the fabspeed filter is good because my boss ask me to say that and the hot air doesn't go inside of the engine because it just doesn't do it"

The BMC wasn't $150 it was $235 at Champeon Motorsport!!! i really like it, i can't drive a Turbo without being able to hear the TURBOS!!! it's like being in a relationship with Meagan Fox having to pay for all her bills and not being able to have any Physical contact with her!!!

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-06-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

What does sharky say? He dyno'd and found zip so he says. I guess these graphs came from a BMC supplier lol. Love to see the OP's graphs....and Alex's. Then we all may have something more relevant to view given these cars were 997tt and 997GT3 RS.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=156

Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
I see people are getting all sorts of worried about cotton filter maintenance. I have had a K&N type filter on pretty much every car Iv owned in the last 15 years. I have never once had a problem.
Common sense maintenance tips:
-Tap filter to knock off any bugs, leaves, solids..
-Lightly spray DIRTY side w 20% solution of Simple Green / water or fliter cleaner until soaked..
-Let stand in sink..dirty side down..for 10-20 min..
-Rinse filter w warm water (I use kitchen sprayer on medium pressure as I dont want to damage cotton media) from the CLEAN side out the DIRTY side ONLY..
-Repeat if necessary..
-Let AIR dry..this could take 12 or more hours in a 74 degree house w nirmal humidity..NO hairdryers or high pressure air.. (hot air shrinks the cotton and high pressure air pushes the cotton thru the screen and creates unwanted holes)
-Reapply filter oil.. (only use SPRAY oil made for washable air filters) (NOT some other "oil)
-Lightly spray front and back side of filter using steady overlapping strokes until the filter is back to light pink.. (strokes should be similar to laying down smooth spray paint)
-Let filter stand for 30 minutes for the oil to wick into the rest of the filter. (getting the exact amount of oil w/o over oiling can can be tricky...use common sense)
-IMPORTANT step..use new, clean paper towels to lightly blot both sides of the filter to soak up all the oil that has not wicked into the cotton. Also wipe down the rubber / plastic edges. Leave no wet oil on the filter. (this step is sometimes overlooked and obviously will help keep overoiled filters from being reinstalled)
-Lastly....if you are worried you may have overoiled..simply re blot the filter w clean paper towels until there is only a tiny bit or no oil on the towel.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by triblk6spd; 04-06-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !

sorry, man. no offense intended. not a joke, per se. ( to me ) cheesy. just looks like wannabe racer guy stuff. ( this from a guy trying to outfit his tt into a faux gt2rs LOL ) but i know.. lighter etc. but i cant stand the CF look. only thing worse looking (imo) than CF is wood inside a turbo. sorry.and to your point..my car "felt" better too, w/ the bmc installed.. but.. hope it works flawlessly for you.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Forget the red cotton..i'm surprised they aren't painting them pink .
pink would've pushed sales through the roof! i mean, who among us doesn't love them some pink

Congrats Leo! Well the shower "joke" has now been shifted to someone else thankfully. By the time it finds its final resting place it may well pass through 100 different hands. That thing would be like a game of passing the parcel lol. Someone will eventually own it and believe in it .
..and now that i may have possibly offended leo and anyone else deeply invested in CF, i herby apologize lol. i still think CF is cheesy though. but race bred, i'm sure

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
The BMC wasn't $150 it was $235 at Champeon Motorsport!!! i really like it, i can't drive a Turbo without being able to hear the TURBOS!!!
man, they took you it's like $135 here.

it's like being in a relationship with Meagan Fox having to pay for all her bills and not being able to have any Physical contact with her!!!
i'm not sure that's possible! lol. i mean, something would have to give

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute

"the fabspeed filter is good because my boss ask me to say that and the hot air doesn't go inside of the engine because it just doesn't do it"

The BMC wasn't $150 it was $235 at Champeon Motorsport!!! i really like it, i can't drive a Turbo without being able to hear the TURBOS!!! it's like being in a relationship with Meagan Fox having to pay for all her bills and not being able to have any Physical contact with her!!!
Thank goodness for Meagan Fox. It would be awful to think she would never be touched again.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
sorry, man. no offense intended. not a joke, per se. ( to me ) cheesy. just looks like wannabe racer guy stuff. ( this from a guy trying to outfit his tt into a faux gt2rs LOL ) but i know.. lighter etc. but i cant stand the CF look. only thing worse looking (imo) than CF is wood inside a turbo. sorry.and to your point..my car "felt" better too, w/ the bmc installed.. but.. hope it works flawlessly for you.
Ohh MAN!!! i'm not butthurt about the CF but i'm really butthurt about the wood!!! i was actually working on a new GT2 RS spoiler made of wood!!! for all 911! (it's better than the stock)

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Ohh MAN!!! i'm not butthurt about the CF but i'm really butthurt about the wood!!! i was actually working on a new GT2 RS spoiler made of wood!!! for all 911! (it's better than the stock)
priceless!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I still go back to posts #8, #16,#19, and also #23 which has a negative tale to tell. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-4-gt3-2.html

I see no issue with SW's packaging of a product group but those graphs clearly stay away from isolating the BMC filter, instead use all 3 items....but actually quote the two items only during the test.

Same applies with Porsche or RUF packaging their car with the filter and racing stripes....nothing wrong with that at all, they are appealing to a particular demographic so they package the product in a way to be as appealing as possible, but there is a vulnerability for the user maintaining that item. Frankly if i were buying a GT2RS 4.0 the first thing i would do is change the filter to the Mahle paper unit....that's just me. You see if you get to see broad daylight through the holes then that (to me) is "nuf said" where the entry of particulate is concerned. Why would the particulate bypass going through these open holes when that is the path of least resistance?

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I see people are getting all sorts of worried about cotton filter maintenance. I have had a K&N type filter on pretty much every car Iv owned in the last 15 years. I have never once had a problem.
Common sense maintenance tips:
-Tap filter to knock off any bugs, leaves, solids..
-Lightly spray DIRTY side w 20% solution of Simple Green / water or fliter cleaner until soaked..
-Let stand in sink..dirty side down..for 10-20 min..
-Rinse filter w warm water (I use kitchen sprayer on medium pressure as I dont want to damage cotton media) from the CLEAN side out the DIRTY side ONLY..
-Repeat if necessary..
-Let AIR dry..this could take 12 or more hours in a 74 degree house w nirmal humidity..NO hairdryers or high pressure air.. (hot air shrinks the cotton and high pressure air pushes the cotton thru the screen and creates unwanted holes)
-Reapply filter oil.. (only use SPRAY oil made for washable air filters) (NOT some other "oil)
-Lightly spray front and back side of filter using steady overlapping strokes until the filter is back to light pink.. (strokes should be similar to laying down smooth spray paint)
-Let filter stand for 30 minutes for the oil to wick into the rest of the filter. (getting the exact amount of oil w/o over oiling can can be tricky...use common sense)
-IMPORTANT step..use new, clean paper towels to lightly blot both sides of the filter to soak up all the oil that has not wicked into the cotton. Also wipe down the rubber / plastic edges. Leave no wet oil on the filter. (this step is sometimes overlooked and obviously will help keep overoiled filters from being reinstalled)
-Lastly....if you are worried you may have overoiled..simply re blot the filter w clean paper towels until there is only a tiny bit or no oil on the towel.
Hope this helps!
And for good reason going by your own lengthy and meticulous procedure. How many would go to the trouble of doing this?...or, would bother? And, at what stage do you really know when its time to do the job? Too many variables and vulnerabilities imho. My own experience with these filters is they get filthy so quickly....and there are holes you can see broad daylight through particularly after the cleaning process with or without the use of compressed air.

Given an OEM Mahle can be quoted as being available for as little as 20 USD which at $150 is nearly 8 OEM filters worth, or at $235 is nearly 24 OEM filters worth i ask why would anyone bother, least of all run the risk of particle contamination of their expensive PT engine regardless of how small it may well be found at one point.....although lets be honest here, that really depends upon the operating environment and the ability to maintain a proper cleaning regimen (at exactly what stage or point in time yet to be actually defined).

Old 04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts

Sorry you had a bad experience with the Fabspeed intake, I tried.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Tom,

You didn't tried hard enough!!! Lmao

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMC Air Filter