997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

BMC Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speed21
I still go back to posts #8, #16,#19, and also #23 which has a negative tale to tell. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-4-gt3-2.html

I see no issue with SW's packaging of a product group but those graphs clearly stay away from isolating the BMC filter, instead use all 3 items....but actually quote the two items only during the test.

Same applies with Porsche or RUF packaging their car with the filter and racing stripes....nothing wrong with that at all, they are appealing to a particular demographic so they package the product in a way to be as appealing as possible, but there is a vulnerability for the user maintaining that item. Frankly if i were buying a GT2RS 4.0 the first thing i would do is change the filter to the Mahle paper unit....that's just me. You see if you get to see broad daylight through the holes then that (to me) is "nuf said" where the entry of particulate is concerned. Why would the particulate bypass going through these open holes when that is the path of least resistance?

And for good reason going by your own lengthy and meticulous procedure. How many would go to the trouble of doing this?...or, would bother? And, at what stage do you really know when its time to do the job? Too many variables and vulnerabilities imho. My own experience with these filters is they get filthy so quickly....and there are holes you can see broad daylight through particularly after the cleaning process with or without the use of compressed air.

Given an OEM Mahle can be quoted as being available for as little as 20 USD which at $150 is nearly 8 OEM filters worth, or at $235 is nearly 24 OEM filters worth i ask why would anyone bother, least of all run the risk of particle contamination of their expensive PT engine regardless of how small it may well be found at one point.....although lets be honest here, that really depends upon the operating environment and the ability to maintain a proper cleaning regimen (at exactly what stage or point in time yet to be actually defined).
I absooutely get it and wasnt exactly taking sides as I dont know nearly enough about the Porsche specific parts being discussed here. My point in posting was just to point out that IF you have spent or plan on spending a couple hundred dollars in a washable filter there are ways to keep the maintnance part on the straight annd narrow. Albeit..tedious and time consuming.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
I still go back to posts #8, #16,#19, and also #23 which has a negative tale to tell. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-4-gt3-2.html

I see no issue with SW's packaging of a product group but those graphs clearly stay away from isolating the BMC filter, instead use all 3 items....but actually quote the two items only during the test.

Same applies with Porsche or RUF packaging their car with the filter and racing stripes....nothing wrong with that at all, they are appealing to a particular demographic so they package the product in a way to be as appealing as possible, but there is a vulnerability for the user maintaining that item. Frankly if i were buying a GT2RS 4.0 the first thing i would do is change the filter to the Mahle paper unit....that's just me. You see if you get to see broad daylight through the holes then that (to me) is "nuf said" where the entry of particulate is concerned. Why would the particulate bypass going through these open holes when that is the path of least resistance?
GT3RS 4.0, right? Cause if a 4.0L GT2 were available, I'd be first in line!

Dunno...Alex doesn't seem like a racing stripes kind of guy.

Serious though, if the MAF sensor were sensitive enough, I'd log a high speed run for you with a paper element then with a cotton element to show the difference. This argument has been fought on every forum, with every platform, with every tuner. I feel like I'm back to my Acura Integra days.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 04-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Tom,

You didn't tried hard enough!!! Lmao
Sorry Leo, I would've tried harder if you didn't buy it already.

Glad it all worked out at the end.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Serious though, if the MAF sensor were sensitive enough, I'd log a high speed run for you with a paper element then with a cotton element to show the difference. This argument has been fought on every forum, with every platform, with every tuner. I feel like I'm back to my Acura Integra days.
Not quite sure what you are saying.

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I absooutely get it and wasnt exactly taking sides as I dont know nearly enough about the Porsche specific parts being discussed here. My point in posting was just to point out that IF you have spent or plan on spending a couple hundred dollars in a washable filter there are ways to keep the maintnance part on the straight annd narrow. Albeit..tedious and time consuming.
Not taking sides either. To each his own. Opinions were asked, i gave mine. Maybe not what some want to hear but... If guys swear by them, terrific! Business is business i say.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
[/B] Dunno...Alex doesn't seem like a racing stripes kind of guy.
rats.. s'werks.. i just went full circle again whats not to like about that ( lack of ) airbox.. arghh.
i've been looking today at my k&n cones on my old triumph. i think there's a lot more filtration going on in them, relative to the flat panels. they're virtually the same as that gt3. whatever.. it would be a $1500 experiment and i have a brand new $20 mahle now...and all is good.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 04-06-2013 at 10:16 PM.