997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Back in the saddle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AZTurbo
How long do they see the stock clutch lasting on the tune? I want to drop my car off at EVO to get it done as well but don't want to have to do a clutch, tune, and plugs all at the same time.
I bet you'll get close to the same answer from everyone. If you don't push the car hard, especially in high gears, then you should be fine. Too much peddle in the right gear with high TQ and it's not that hard to slip the clutch. My last TT had over 600hp/tq on race fuel and the clutch was stock and it slipped when I got on it. I had my plugs replaced because they had 37k miles on them. So if you have less then 5k miles on your plugs you should be fine with the tune I got (EVT550), but the plugs won't last nearly as long due to the tune. BTW my clutch has not been replaced yet and I know the tune will get me to the point of needing replacement sooner than without the tune.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
sansan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drsullivan
RSS spacers purchased - 7mm/15mm (black) and new emblem being painted. I had the throttle reset at the dealer today - much better - i was getting 15-16mpg and nows the throttle is more responsive and 21mpg.

What does resetting the throttle do? I have an 08 as well that went through CPO. When you say you were getting 15-16 and now 21 is that in town driving or on the freeway?

I get 16 around town. If I'm purely on the freeway it's closer to 21mpg.

Just want to know if this is something I should get done as well.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sansan
What does resetting the throttle do? I have an 08 as well that went through CPO. When you say you were getting 15-16 and now 21 is that in town driving or on the freeway?

I get 16 around town. If I'm purely on the freeway it's closer to 21mpg.

Just want to know if this is something I should get done as well.

Thanks!
It was some proceedure which reset the throttle-by-wire system in the car. The tech spent 30 seconds doing it (turning the key off-and-on and pushing the throttle with his had, I really didn't pay any attention). The throttle before reset was sluggish and after was much more responsive. The 21mpg was on the way home from the dealer. I soon as I told the tech about the throttle and mpg he knew what to do.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
sansan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drsullivan
It was some proceedure which reset the throttle-by-wire system in the car. The tech spent 30 seconds doing it (turning the key off-and-on and pushing the throttle with his had, I really didn't pay any attention). The throttle before reset was sluggish and after was much more responsive. The 21mpg was on the way home from the dealer. I soon as I told the tech about the throttle and mpg he knew what to do.
Thanks for the response. Still just wanted to know if the 21 mpg was freeway/highway driving or local. I don't feel like my throttle is sluggish, but then again I have no point of reference since I bought it used. I have a tiptronic so I'm not sure if it's a little different.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by sansan
Thanks for the response. Still just wanted to know if the 21 mpg was freeway/highway driving or local. I don't feel like my throttle is sluggish, but then again I have no point of reference since I bought it used. I have a tiptronic so I'm not sure if it's a little different.
It was in the city

Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM
So i'm looking through my CPO info and warranty manual the other day. I see that a CPO vehicle has up-to-date maintenance done if within 2500 miles of the next scheduled maintenance (mine was 3k out, but has 37k miles and has an in service date 7 years ago). I also read that time is a factor with the fuel pump, belt, and all wheel drive controller oil. I bring this up to my service advisor and when all is done the dealership pays for alignment (the wheel was a little off to the right), all wheel drive controller oil replacement, fuel filter, and drive belt replacement. I had told them the car idled high when cold and they removed the transmission and adjusted the pulse sensor and even completed a campaign for exhaust temp. sensor wire repair.

I feel the CPO is the way to go when buying used! I'm very pleased today.