997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

"Bedding" period for new clutch??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Viv
Viv is infamous around these parts
"Bedding" period for new clutch??

I just had the clutchplate and pressure plate replaced on my 997tt (standard clutch etc from Porsche). It has the Switzer P700 package done. The previous clutch lasted 12000km, although after only slipping once, I decided to replace it with a new one. The shop that replaced the clutch told me the previous clutch was only about 50% worn and wasn't really nescessary to replace. When I picked up my car the shop owner told me he testdrove the car and the clutch slipped under load... I asked but shouldn't it be bedded in first before hard acceleration and he said yes, but looked a bit puzzled as to why it slipped. (flywheel was replaced with previous clutch replace and was in very good condition, so not replaced now)

I am going to SA Speedweek end of April and don't want issues.

So my question is how long should a new clutch be bedded in for (kms) and is there a specific way or will normal city driving be fine?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Clutch is not problem ... Its the oem pressure plate that can not handle the power ... You need a higher rated unit ...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
Clutch is not problem ... Its the oem pressure plate that can not handle the power ... You need a higher rated unit ...

100% oem pressure plate that can not handle the power. get a Sachs 764 PP

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
^ As he said. Sachs 764 PP is needed 100%.

Stock C & PP will never hold a 700 tune at WOT especially on a used flywheel. If these guys knew you had a tune then why on earth would they advise to fit another stock clutch? If they said they had no idea why your old clutch was slipping, least of all the new one is a bit of a worry or weren't they aware of the 700 tune?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Viv
I had a stock clutch since the 700 tune and it has been holding fine for about 8000km of heavy use. It slipped once a few weeks ago and then I thought it was toast which was not the case. I drove the car another 2-3weeks trying to get the clutch to slip again and it didn't, but I got it replaced anyhow because of the Speedweek coming up. Now the new clutch is slipping..... my thoughts are just to let it bed in properly and see how it goes. The previous STOCK clutch held fine for hundreds of pulls, just slipping once

Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 AM
Viv
Hi, will the clutch pedal be "harder" than with stock? That is part of the reason why I wanted stock as I was afraid the pedal will be "harder"....?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Pedal is same but feels better in take up. If your stock clutch doesn't slip then i doubt you have anywhere near 700.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
I did tune/exhaust only and was slipping almost immediately. Sachs stage 2.5 takes a little getting used to. It grabs more aggressively and in my case at low pedal position..... so basically had a few embarrassing stalls early on with it. Handles power well though

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Viv
Well it is the Switzer P700 package, only have a different exhaust Europipe Stage 2, so might be slightly less than 700hp, but remember that is not whp, it is on the flywheel. Switzer even said no clutch upgrade neccesary but recommended it. Anyway thanks for the info! Appreciated!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Sachs 2.5. Mike from AWE can get you taken care of.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Viv
Well it is the Switzer P700 package, only have a different exhaust Europipe Stage 2, so might be slightly less than 700hp, but remember that is not whp, it is on the flywheel. Switzer even said no clutch upgrade neccesary but recommended it. Anyway thanks for the info! Appreciated!
It'd be a lot less than 700 at the fw....more like sub 500 and/or you may also have fuel octane issues you aren't aware of....or you are unable to detect a slipping clutch which can be often the case with certain users. You only need to take a look at the Sachs chart to see what their PP's are capable of handling to know the stock unit is at the end of its envelope. Agree all tuners will sing this same song but in reality a tune that produces a real 500/550 will slip the clutch in no time at all, if not immediately. 700 wouldn't have a snowflakes chance in hell. If you think you have 700 crank hp then put it on the dyno and let's see it.

Originally Posted by thackl
I did tune/exhaust only and was slipping almost immediately. Sachs stage 2.5 takes a little getting used to. It grabs more aggressively and in my case at low pedal position..... so basically had a few embarrassing stalls early on with it. Handles power well though
Mine also slipped after only a few WOT pulls and my car had under 5000kms on from brand spanking new. When the clutch was removed it looked new too, but it had been slipping as evidenced by the burn marks on the surfaces. One things for certain, the Protomotive tune puts out its claimed power of @ 500+....no question about that. The OE clutch serves as concrete evidence of that.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^^ Speed I hear you but there are lots of guys running various tunes with 500+ on stock clutch. I was in Phillip's car and he's got 550hp+ and runs the stock clutch and IIRC he put 20K miles before he said he felt it slip for the first time.

could there be variability in the stock clutch from car to car, hence some guys feel an immediate slip with a 550hp-600hp (crank hp) tune and others can run 10K, 20k+ without experiencing any slipping?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by aa909
^^^^^ Speed I hear you but there are lots of guys running various tunes with 500+ on stock clutch. I was in Phillip's car and he's got 550hp+ and runs the stock clutch and IIRC he put 20K miles before he said he felt it slip for the first time.

could there be variability in the stock clutch from car to car, hence some guys feel an immediate slip with a 550hp-600hp (crank hp) tune and others can run 10K, 20k+ without experiencing any slipping?
The stock C & P/P in this car is Sachs....but obviously not up to the torque of a good tune going by the other performance chart offerings which cater for higher torque loads. Even Porsche techs told me the clutch is very weak for this car....say have changed many even with stock tune....not unusual to replace at 20K. It's a very weak link. Probably why even with stock tune SC only delivers 1.2 bar for short bursts and only when revs are initially low in tall gear when you stand on it. I hear what you say Art but I can't overlook the torque ratings of the pressure plates. I still go back to the torque a particular tune really produces vs the next offering....and/or the fuel oct/quality....and/or whether the user really can feel whats going on. Take OP as an example. He couldn't feel any slip but his shop could. The 764 gives a very robust feel in comparison to the stock p/plate under any form of acceleration or gear change using reasonable throttle application. I don't want to argue with anyone who says their clutch was fine with a tune. Once they change it for a 764 then come talk to me or argue about the differences they feel... The drivetrain in the car feels way better whether pressing hard or soft, going fast or slow through the gears. Even without a tune the 764 is way better.

Last edited by speed21; 04-10-2013 at 03:57 AM.