997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help!! Softronic turn the engine light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
I had almost the smae problem with mine. The program just stopped working when I was uploading the stock tune. It then said it coudnt read the vin when I tried it again and the car would not even start. What I did was....

1- disconnect the cable from the car and laptop
2- take key out of ignition
3- Turn off and restart your laptop
4- follow instructions from scratch to load your stock tune back on

That worked for me. Good luck.

Last edited by NTIMD8; 04-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
I had almost the smae problem with mine. The program just stopped working when I was uploading the stock tune. It then said it coudnt read the vin when I tried it again and the car would not even start. What I did was....

1- disconnect the cable from the car and laptop
2- take key out of ignition
3- Turn off and restart your laptop
4- follow instructions from scratch to load your stock tune back on

That worked for me. Good luck.
Ok let me try that!

Thank you

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
It is very easy to brick the ecu. Best to have a battery charger connected and use LAN cable at all times during this process. Follow all instructions carefully. WIFI can be unreliable and can lose connection during the load...which can mean disaster.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
No it doesn't work...

Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
OK. Your only chance is to get everything set up properly first. Get battery charger on your battery and make sure it has reached full charge. Get LAN connection to the laptop and make sure your lap top has a dedicated power source. There is to be no shortcuts now. Everything has to be 100% set up perfectly. Only then go through the load process again. Make sure battery charger is left on at the time of re load. Only try to load the stock file and not the tune file. It may take a number of attempts but be patient. Let us know how you go. I have been there unfortunately and i can assure you there is no room for error.

Edit. One important thing i forgot to mention. You need to disconnect the battery each and every time before you try now. Leave the cables off for @ 10 minutes or more. Re attach cables, reconnect battery charger. Then go through process again. It may take quite a few goes so don't expect it to go through the first time. Just remember battery MUST be fully charged. Use LAN only. Attempt to only load stock file. Don't use recovery mode button.

Last edited by speed21; 04-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Been there, done that, ecu is bricked.
You're gonna have to rewrite the ecu either via soft tonic or Porsche at the dealer.
I've been thru this, it sucks. Once an ecu has been flashed, it's very hard to recover.
Try all the tricks, but I think the dye is cast.
This is why I will never do my own ecu again, I let a pro do it.
Pm me if need be

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Been there, done that, ecu is bricked.
You're gonna have to rewrite the ecu either via soft tonic or Porsche at the dealer.
I've been thru this, it sucks. Once an ecu has been flashed, it's very hard to recover.
Try all the tricks, but I think the dye is cast.
This is why I will never do my own ecu again, I let a pro do it.
Pm me if need be
Like yourself, been there done that too. It's an absolute nightmare. Only way for 100% surety for any load to be successful is to have everything 110% on the set up and stick rigid to the procedure. This is often taken too lightly. No shortcuts on internet connection or any power sources, particularly cars battery which is rarely at 100% charge capacity due to fans etc. I recall my disaster and it was a very frustrating time indeed. I was sure the ECU had to come out. I was coached through it and miraculously got it recovered. It can be done but no mistakes now. Procedure and set up is key. Battery disconnect is very important part of reset procedure and must be done before every attempt. If he hasn't got the charger equip, power sources and the LAN cable he is screwed. If i ever do a load nowadays i always do at offices and have my IT guy as my lead hand. Don't ever want to go though that again!!!

Last edited by speed21; 04-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I remember mine like yesterday, my cable wasn't 100% plugged in and was loose under the dash, I tried for days. Finally, the farnbacherloles guys figured it out. Total nightmare.
Like Paul said, you must be 150%, deviate and you're f'd.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
I'm getting a charger and LAN cable tomorrow... If it doesn't work my only option is softronic... My car is CPO I can't let Porsche find out about this...

I feel so stupid

Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Thank you for your help guys

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I remember mine like yesterday, my cable wasn't 100% plugged in and was loose under the dash, I tried for days. Finally, the farnbacherloles guys figured it out. Total nightmare.
Like Paul said, you must be 150%, deviate and you're f'd.
How did you fix the problem?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Like yourself, been there done that too. It's an absolute nightmare. Only way for 100% surety for any load to be successful is to have everything 110% on the set up and stick rigid to the procedure. This is often taken too lightly. No shortcuts on internet connection or any power sources, particularly cars battery which is rarely at 100% charge capacity due to fans etc. I recall my disaster and it was a very frustrating time indeed. I was sure the ECU had to come out. I was coached through it and miraculously got it recovered. It can be done but no mistakes now. Procedure and set up is key. Battery disconnect is very important part of reset procedure and must be done before every attempt. If he hasn't got the charger equip, power sources and the LAN cable he is screwed. If i ever do a load nowadays i always do at offices and have my IT guy as my lead hand. Don't ever want to go though that again!!!

I'm praying for this to work out tomorrow

Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I'm getting a charger and LAN cable tomorrow... If it doesn't work my only option is softronic... My car is CPO I can't let Porsche find out about this...

I feel so stupid
We all make mistakes...don't worry to much about it (altho easy said than done). But you need to stay focussed.

What i was instructed to do by Todd K was to take the battery out and recharge it fully. You'd be surprised just how below max charge these batteries get, yet they still start the car like they are fine. The charge is very important. Once you are sure the charge is 100% instal the battery back into the car and connect the cables. Put the charger on the battery and switch that on. Unlock the car and awaken the ECU. Then have your laptop with LAN connection and power source working and test the connection first. Once you are sure it is 100% then go through the correct procedure of installing the cable into the OBD and then try your first load totally by the book, loading the stock file in....not the tune file.

If it doesn't go through on first attempt which it may well not, then don't panic, disconnect the battery again and wait at least 5/10 minutes so everything goes to sleep again, then re connect battery and charger and repeat correct procedure. Remember the ecu and car must be fully asleep to allow proper ECU reset. This is very important.

I recall having to lock the car using the fob and then disconnect the battery in that sequence. Once battery is refitted unlock using fob etc. Then you will see dash led readings on speedo appear etc.

NOTE:Make sure hood is always left open once battery is removed. If you close it you will have another major problem.

Note: The durametric cable is also to be removed for OBD port every attempt and is to only be refitted in sequence to the instructions.

If it doesn't go through after 10 attempts i can pretty well safely say you're screwed and the ECU will have to come out...so lets hope that isn't the case. From memory after getting everything 110% on the set up after a few attempts it went through. It loaded really fast too. I was sure the ECU had to come out and go back to Todd. So glad we recovered it. Now set up is always 200% and i use a second set of IT hands with me to check transfer speeds, internet connection etc. Once bitten twice shy. GL and if need be PM me when you have it all set.

Last edited by speed21; 04-12-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
Originally Posted by speed21
We all make mistakes...don't worry to much about it (altho easy said than done). But you need to stay focussed.

What i was instructed to do by Todd K was to take the battery out and recharge it fully. You'd be surprised just how below max charge these batteries get, yet they still start the car like they are fine. The charge is very important. Once you are sure the charge is 100% instal the battery back into the car and connect the cables. Put the charger on the battery and switch that on. Unlock the car and awaken the ECU. Then have your laptop with LAN connection and power source working and test the connection first. Once you are sure it is 100% then go through the correct procedure of installing the cable into the OBD and then try your first load totally by the book, loading the stock file in....not the tune file.

If it doesn't go through on first attempt which it may well not, then don't panic, disconnect the battery again and wait at least 5/10 minutes so everything goes to sleep again, then re connect battery and charger and repeat correct procedure. Remember the ecu and car must be fully asleep to allow proper ECU reset. This is very important.

I recall having to lock the car using the fob and then disconnect the battery in that sequence. Once battery is refitted unlock using fob etc. Then you will see dash led readings on speedo appear etc.

NOTE:Make sure hood is always left open once battery is removed. If you close it you will have another major problem.

Note: The durametric cable is also to be removed for OBD port every attempt and is to only be refitted in sequence to the instructions.

If it doesn't go through after 10 attempts i can pretty well safely say you're screwed and the ECU will have to come out...so lets hope that isn't the case. From memory after getting everything 110% on the set up after a few attempts it went through. It loaded really fast too. I was sure the ECU had to come out and go back to Todd. So glad we recovered it. Now set up is always 200% and i use a second set of IT hands with me to check transfer speeds, internet connection etc. Once bitten twice shy. GL and if need be PM me when you have it all set. .
Will do so!

Thank you

Last edited by LeoLambo; 04-12-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Leo997TT
How did you fix the problem?
I actually had it happen 1 1/2 times, first time my tuner figured it out, second time sent it to fvd.
Try Paul's method, might work.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-12-2013 at 09:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!! Softronic turn the engine light on