997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Comparing Tunes With Data Logs!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Exclamation Comparing Tunes With Data Logs!

Hey Guys!

Just got another file from Todd @ Proto, I uploaded the file last night and managed to data log the car on sport mode from gear 2,3,4.

I will upload both the data logs of my first tune and my revised (New) tune. The concern I had with the first tune is that I felt the car would die abit after 200km/h.

Sorry but the only file format I could upload was in ZIP format, If you want me to email you the Excel Files I will be glad to do so, just PM me ur email.

Notes:
  1. The temperature of the first tune data log was around 23 Degrees Celsius Vs. 31 Degrees for the revised tune.
  2. On the first tune car did 0-100km/h in 3.3s & 100-200km/h in 7.0s. On the revised tune car did 0-100km.h in 3.2s & 100-200km/h in 7.3s.
  3. I have sent these to Todd and awaiting his reply, Just wanted to see what you guys think.
Please feel free to comment! Any feedback is Highly appreciated!

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Tareq - Data Log.zip (62.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
The DME is still correcting the "fun" above ~220kph on the new tune. Timing is gone, AFRs go to 10.0, and boost is reduced to cool things down and quell potential knock. There are signs of life again above 250kph but thats because you're at 1.2 bar vs 1.5 bar. Too much boost for whatever octane you're running, particularly through the 5000-6000 rpm range IMO. I'm sure Todd will have some input though. You get away with it until that 3-4 gear change. Octane/boost aside, high ambient temps can be brutal on these cars, even with good intercoolers theres only so much you can do without getting into chemical intercooling (methanol).

It looks like he did pull some boost out at the higher rpms on the new tune, but only above ~6000rpm. It's getting there.

Last edited by earl3; 04-21-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You need intercoolers to keep get your IATs down. As earl3 said, it looks like the the ECU is pulling boost to compensate. In fact, look at your boost when the IAT is logged >60.

Last edited by bbywu; 04-21-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
You need intercoolers to keep get your IATs down. As earl3 said, it looks like the the ECU is pulling boost to compensate. In fact, look at your boost when the IAT is logged >60.
He's got the .2 coolers which is why he's "only" 33C above ambient at 270kph Its the 30+C ambient temps combined with 1.5 bar+ boost that are just brutal on these cars. I'm not sure he's going to see much better IATs without a meth nozzle helping things out. CTR cores would probably keep it within 25C of ambient on a hot day but big $$$.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Thanks Earl

Originally Posted by earl3
The DME is still correcting the "fun" above ~220kph on the new tune. Timing is gone, AFRs go to 10.0, and boost is reduced to cool things down and quell potential knock. There are signs of life again above 250kph but thats because you're at 1.2 bar vs 1.5 bar. Too much boost for whatever octane you're running, particularly through the 5000-6000 rpm range IMO. I'm sure Todd will have some input though. You get away with it until that 3-4 gear change. Octane/boost aside, high ambient temps can be brutal on these cars, even with good intercoolers theres only so much you can do without getting into chemical intercooling (methanol).

It looks like he did pull some boost out at the higher rpms on the new tune, but only above ~6000rpm. It's getting there.
Hey Earl, Thanks alot for taking the time to look at the data log. Yes you are correct Todd told me he had reduced the boost on the higher end in the new tune. And as you mentioned I do have the .2 Intercoolers installed but I am still seeing Higher than expected IAT's. Im sure Todd will have alot to say about the data log, So I'll wait to see what happens, And I will keep you posted!

Just a quick question for you, Do you think if we reduce boost <1.5 Bar, will it reduce or increase performance? Will it significantly reduce IAT's? What would you recommend in my case? (I would prefer to avoid chemical cooling).

Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted by bbywu
Thanks Bob for your input, it is highly appreciated! . My bad I had forgotten to update my sig, I do have .2 Intercoolers installed.

Other than more advanced intercoolers or chemical cooling, what would you recommend I do in my case (Reduce Boost.. etc?) ?

Originally Posted by meslinger
You need intercoolers to keep get your IATs down. As earl3 said, it looks like the the ECU is pulling boost to compensate.
Thanks for your feedback Meslinger, I do have .2 intercoolers installed on the car. . Any recommendations from your end?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Here is mine log
http://www.wirx.ee/911/tuned.xls
4th gear 100-200km/h
Temp is Celsius
What do you think?
Car has straight pipes, BMC filter and tune.
100-200km/h in 4th time is 8s

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Give the high ambient temps, might be better off backing out some boost?
Your knock sensors and ecu are basically doing their job when they see the high IATs.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 04-25-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wirx
Here is mine log
http://www.wirx.ee/911/tuned.xls
4th gear 100-200km/h
Temp is Celsius
What do you think?
Car has straight pipes, BMC filter and tune.
100-200km/h in 4th time is 8s
200 cell cats? What kind of tune? 100-200km in 8s(PBox?) with no shift is not that quick for a tune car, should be able to do better.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:29 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
http://www.wirx.ee/911/tuned2.xls
One more try, outside temp was about 8c celcius less now, 100-200 time 7.6s (perfomance box), 4th gear
There is no cats, only straight pipes

Last edited by wirx; 04-25-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Here is ignition angle chart
First one is 4th 100-200km/h 7.6s
Second one is 4th 100-200km/h 8s (7celcius warmer)
Is this up-down jumping normal?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tareq
Just a quick question for you, Do you think if we reduce boost <1.5 Bar, will it reduce or increase performance? Will it significantly reduce IAT's? What would you recommend in my case? (I would prefer to avoid chemical cooling).
Hi Tareq, I'm not entirely sure but my hunch, based on sifting through various logs, is that you will sacrifice 0-200kph performance a touch for the sake of increasing 200-300+kph performance, particularly in the hot environment you're in. Unless tuners have the ability to request torque/boost by gear or speed which I don't think they can with the factory DME(?)

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
He's got the .2 coolers which is why he's "only" 33C above ambient at 270kph Its the 30+C ambient temps combined with 1.5 bar+ boost that are just brutal on these cars. I'm not sure he's going to see much better IATs without a meth nozzle helping things out. CTR cores would probably keep it within 25C of ambient on a hot day but big $$$.
Another alternative to the CTR coolers but a few grand cheaper!

http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/997_Turbo-126-31/-/-/item/item_details/VID_83925872-VCD_60584931-gid_154-sort_4-display_50-item_FVD110350AKG1/ENGINE_-_Tuning_-_Air_Intake_-_Intercooler_FVD110350AKG1_997_Turbo_GT2_`Aerospac e_Core`_Intercooler_Kit.html

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tareq
Thanks Bob for your input, it is highly appreciated! . My bad I had forgotten to update my sig, I do have .2 Intercoolers installed.

Other than more advanced intercoolers or chemical cooling, what would you recommend I do in my case (Reduce Boost.. etc?) ?
As earl said, it looks like the ECU is pulling performance at higher speeds, probably due to the higher temps. I think your choices are tuning for a higher octane fuel or E85, methanol, or better ICs. You could go completely catless and drop EGTs a little more, but probably won't make a significant difference at velocities up top.

I think many people in your neighborhood have gone with methanol.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Thumbs up Updated Graph Comparison

Hey Guys,

Todd managed to send me a graph comparing my previous "Good Tune" with my new revised tune.

It would be great to get some feedback from you guys so I can choose which tune I should settle on for the meantime until Todd sends me a revised one.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DATA LOG GRAPH.png
Views:	76
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	242314