997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil capacity question on my 2011 Turbo S (just changed the oil myself)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
CodeBlue911 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Oil capacity question on my 2011 Turbo S (just changed the oil myself)...

So, I changed the car's oil myself for the first time today after I graciously got a post from someone here giving me a link to a DIY.

I remember reading both here and in the owner's manual that 7.9 Q was needed for an oil change.
Well...I put in 7.5 Q to start then went for a drive to get up to operating temp. I was surprised that the oil gauge was showing the lowest bar blinking. I added the remaining half Q and now the lowest bar is solid.

I definetely made sure to check the oil at full operating temp and while on a level ground.
When I was draining the oil, I let it sit for about 2 hours while I did some yard work. Could I have just drained alot more old oil than 7.9 Q causing it to need more?
Have others noticed this? I called two different Porsche dealer service dept's and they both said it it takes between 8.5-9.0 Q.

I wanted to get ya'lls opinoins before I start adding more oil and end up causing damage by OVER-filling.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
7.5L is standard for the oil change, a complete engine rebuild is 10.4L.

If the oil meter says add more...add more.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
9qts is more like. I'm a DIY guy also. I have changed the oil a few times and it takes 9qts to the Full line.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks guys. I'll add more oil today. BTW, after I added the initial 7.5 q and took a drive to warm it up, the lowest bar on the oil gauge was blinking. Could there have been any damage?? I did not get any check engine lights or any alarms while driving. I'm guessing Porsche built in a little wiggle room...But i'm still worried.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CodeBlue911
Thanks guys. I'll add more oil today. BTW, after I added the initial 7.5 q and took a drive to warm it up, the lowest bar on the oil gauge was blinking. Could there have been any damage?? I did not get any check engine lights or any alarms while driving. I'm guessing Porsche built in a little wiggle room...But i'm still worried.
If any damage occurred from the low level you'd know it by now.

If you are accurate in what you put in the engine there was 7.5 quarts of oil in the engine.

However, after a 20 minute drain at 70C (or is it 80C?) and a new filter the Turbo engine nominally requires 7.8l or 8.25 quarts of oil so the oil level was a quart or possibly more low.

If you drain the oil longer the amount of oil you have to add goes up.

What I was told is to get the amount of oil to be added for one's vehicle based on its VIN. And be sure you get the particulars regarding how hot the engine should be -- generally when the engine is cold the tech will let it idle long enough to get hot enough to check the oil level -- and how long a drain interval there is. 20 minutes. 30 minutes. The new DFI engines have a 1 hour drain interval and the techs tell me there is even an overnight drain interval with its own volume of oil to be added.

The factory manual also advises waiting some time -- I do not recall how much time to wait -- before starting the engine after filling the oil tank with oil. I think this is to allow time for some oil to seep its way down to the crankcase and thus be available to the high pressure and scavenge pumps.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
BIG THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!! I'm sure everything should be fine. No weird noises and no alarms/warnings on the dash...just the blinking lower oil level marker when I checked it.

I'll top it off tomorrow and post what the total came out to be.

Originally Posted by Macster
If any damage occurred from the low level you'd know it by now.

If you are accurate in what you put in the engine there was 7.5 quarts of oil in the engine.

However, after a 20 minute drain at 70C (or is it 80C?) and a new filter the Turbo engine nominally requires 7.8l or 8.25 quarts of oil so the oil level was a quart or possibly more low.

If you drain the oil longer the amount of oil you have to add goes up.

What I was told is to get the amount of oil to be added for one's vehicle based on its VIN. And be sure you get the particulars regarding how hot the engine should be -- generally when the engine is cold the tech will let it idle long enough to get hot enough to check the oil level -- and how long a drain interval there is. 20 minutes. 30 minutes. The new DFI engines have a 1 hour drain interval and the techs tell me there is even an overnight drain interval with its own volume of oil to be added.

The factory manual also advises waiting some time -- I do not recall how much time to wait -- before starting the engine after filling the oil tank with oil. I think this is to allow time for some oil to seep its way down to the crankcase and thus be available to the high pressure and scavenge pumps.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I've done a few of these cars - I have never gotten to 9 quarts as Porsche997TT mentioned. However, I my waste container has meter on the side that allows you to measure volume. I usually put in what I take out.