997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GMG Racing suspension helps transforms my 997.2tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
eas
eas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up GMG Racing suspension helps transforms my 997.2tt

So I picked up a 997.2TT PDK at the start of spring and after a few weeks of driving, decided that the suspension needed to be tweaked. There have already been a few posts on the stock 997.2tt suspension, so I won't dwell on it - it's not bad, but it is much more "jumpy" than I'd like. Sport mode is better for me, but doesn't handle the bumps too well.

I wanted to start with just springs, so I read up on all the suspension posts in the turbo forums. Lots of good commentary and reviews on the various options, which helped me decide on GMG Racing. The GMG springs are a touch pricier, but based on my limited research, seemed to offer a combination of what I was looking for: a subtle drop to complement my new wheels and a firmer spring rate without being too stiff.

I also got some great advice on getting sways at the same time (thx EU Autowerks!), so I called up Fabryce at GMG and worked out a deal to get the springs and sways shipped up here. The boys at EU did a fabulous job on the install and alignment - when I took her for the first ride I was blown away! By far the best mods for the money that I have personally done - I was worried that the comfort would be sacrificed to get the handling under control, but man was I wrong.

Suspension is such a personal thing, but for me every element of the ride was improved. The GMG springs have a conservative drop without making the turbo appear to be slammed. With my new wheels the turbo's stance is perfect. Scrapping frequency hasn't increased, ride has greatly improved in normal mode and transformed in sports mode. No more jumpiness, instead the ride is firm, controlled and comfortable. Even my wife was surprised that the lowered suspension improved the ride quality.

I won't bother everyone with my stock pictures, so here's one with the GMG springs/sways installed and another with the new Strasse wheels thrown on:

I haven't been to the track yet, but from the twisties around my area, the sways are keeping me level. I definitely feel the difference, but can't really comment on the affect on understeer right now - to be continued...

Big thanks to Fabryce @ GMG Racing, Ryan @ EU Autowerks and to all the posters who take time to provide their feedback on their turbo modifications - keep it up please!

Eddie

Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
your car looks great!

I have the GMG springs as well and agree with your positive assessment

Art

Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM
eas
eas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Art, your post was one of the ones that helped me choose GMG!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 AM
egreaves20 is a jewel in the roughegreaves20 is a jewel in the roughegreaves20 is a jewel in the rough
Wow, that looks great. Love the turboii wheels. More pix please.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM
eas
Originally Posted by egreaves20
Wow, that looks great. Love the turboii wheels. More pix please.
The stock wheels look great with a drop, just need some spacers now. Here are a couple more, just keep in mind that these are from the same day they suspension was installed, so the car now sits a touch lower...

Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
svb
svb is infamous around these parts
+1 on GMG I have to chime in here.

I just got my GMG springs installed on my C4S and did a road trip from LA to San Diego. Not only is the boulevard ride better on the highway etc. (suspension is more compliant) the handling is a lot sharper.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the GMG spring is progressive and Porsche OEM spring is linear? The OEM springs seem a lot harsher over bumps and now my car feels a lot smoother for everday riding, even with the 20mm drop.

Now can someone please explain to me why the Porsche engineers with their decades of experience would not design a better spring? I'm sorry the the oem spring is inferior to the GMG spring in every way.

Love GMG best money I ever spent!

Attached Images  

Last edited by svb; 05-19-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 PM
eas
Looks good svb! I agree, GMG has done what Porsche should have

Last edited by eas; 05-19-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by svb
Correct me if I am wrong, but the GMG spring is progressive and Porsche OEM spring is linear? The OEM springs seem a lot harsher over bumps and now my car feels a lot smoother for everday riding, even with the 20mm drop.
Now can someone please explain to me why the Porsche engineers with their decades of experience would not design a better spring? I'm sorry the the oem spring is inferior to the GMG spring in every way.
Very good question and very important point regarding not just suspension mod, but other mods such as ECU and exhaust as well.

Porsche has the best engineers and test drivers in the world and Porsche is MORE than capable of designing "better" spring. That the Turbo is soft mushy is not from incompetence, but purely a result of marketing and philosophy - Porsche *wants* it that way:
1. For race car handling, they the GT2 and GT3. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Lexus and 10 being race car, the GT class 911 is arround
2. For luxurious grand tourer ride, Porsche makes the Turbo. On same scale above, the Turbo is say a 2.

The reason we could "improve" upon the best suspension engineers in the world is that at a lower level, such as in the Turbo, it is easy to stiffen a car with stiffer spring and make it better. When things get serious and Porsche has gone all out, such as GT3 RS and GT2 RS, it is *nearly* impossible to improve these cars and that's why IMHO it's not a good idea to mod the suspension in these cars at all.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eas
Thanks Art, your post was one of the ones that helped me choose GMG!
great, good to know my post was somewhat helpful. enjoy the car, the new wheels looks sweet

Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
eas
I'm having a b!tch of a time getting the tpms to pick up on the new wheels. They are OEM sensors, but my system has picked up a max of 2/4 and now none.

I've gone through the reset procedure found here with no luck. Thoughts? Tips? Might have to take it to the stealership to see if they can figure it out...

Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by eas
I'm having a b!tch of a time getting the tpms to pick up on the new wheels. They are OEM sensors, but my system has picked up a max of 2/4 and now none.

I've gone through the reset procedure found here with no luck. Thoughts? Tips? Might have to take it to the stealership to see if they can figure it out...
how old are the sensors? If they are approaching 4 yrs old you might have one sensor that has no juice, and they work in series so if the battery in one goes the entire system stops working. If you have a durametric cable you can read the battery life on the individual sensors. If any one of them reads less than 12 months of battery life it could be the culprit