997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Keeping spoiler extended?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dewilmoth
I highly doubt an extended stock spoiler would make any appreciable downforce at less than 65 miles per hours on the TT. Much less, have any effect on front lift and handling. I'm guessing its more of a drag/MPG issue.
I figured that goes hand in hand. Remember it is a rear engined TT car. No matter how you look at it downforce = more friction = less MPG

Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
My MPG will always be terrible lol. I have an inoperable medical condition in my right foot that causes it to store lead in the tissue - so much so that I can't control how hard that foot lands on the throttle pedal. It's very sad.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
I could give a **** about MPG, I'm just guessing that's why Porsche made it retractable. Rear visibility was probably a factor too. Either way theres no way that tiny wing produces any downforce at low speeds.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I could give a **** about MPG, I'm just guessing that's why Porsche made it retractable. Rear visibility was probably a factor too. Either way theres no way that tiny wing produces any downforce at low speeds.

First, awesome pictures Jeremy!

I'm sure the MPG is negligible. Rear visibility ? None existence with the wing up..probably some made up theory ? ...the wing does not produce any noticeable down-force at less then 65mph..we are not talking Formula 1 here guys. that said, the fix wing mount is in the up position because, it is my opinion the car looks best with the wing up, it differs then the C2/S/C4/S etc.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
First, awesome pictures Jeremy!

I'm sure the MPG is negligible. Rear visibility ? None existence with the wing up..probably some made up theory ? ...the wing does not produce any noticeable down-force at less then 65mph..we are not talking Formula 1 here guys. that said, the fix wing mount is in the up position because, it is my opinion the car looks best with the wing up, it differs then the C2/S/C4/S etc.
No arguing with you here but can you tell us why Porsche wasted over 2000$ on a spoiler they don't need to have adjustable?

I come from a flying background where airflow matters at low speeds more than any other time. Granted I am well aware you are already on the ground in a car but low speed and airflow has massive effects on an aircraft, even while taxiing major deflections of surfaces can send you in a groundloop.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
I too would be curious to know the technicalities involved. In practicality, I really haven't noticed any difference in how the car feels in any driving scenario.

I don't think it's only 2K, its over 3K to replace the entire hydraulics/wing assembly. The fact that I couldn't just fix the leaky drivers side ram and would have to replace everything sounded completely ludicrous to me.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM
LOL!!! Well count that as their 1k markup LOL

Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CBADtt
I recently installed the ebwerks kit on my 997tt. I ordered the black anodized. Here's some pics.

Looks great!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:29 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CBADtt
I too would be curious to know the technicalities involved. In practicality, I really haven't noticed any difference in how the car feels in any driving scenario.

I don't think it's only 2K, its over 3K to replace the entire hydraulics/wing assembly. The fact that I couldn't just fix the leaky drivers side ram and would have to replace everything sounded completely ludicrous to me.
There is a hydraulic manufacturer in California that would rebuild them for you, with upgraded hydraulics so it wouldn't leak in the future. I believe the cost is significantly lower than a new setup that will leak again in the future.

http://cabriolethydraulics.com/porsche-carrera-hydraulics.php

Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey that's good to know - thanks!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
I just took delivery of my car and I'm still getting to know its intricacies, so I'm hoping you guys can help. My spoiler seems to work as advertised, extending with a tap of the button and retracting with the button being held. But it stays extended if I manually extend it, then turn the car off. My understanding reading this thread and others is that its supposed to retract every time I turn the car off. I actually like that it stays extended and I don't have to do it manually every time i turn the car on, but I'm wondering if there is an issue, or something else is going on. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I just took delivery of my car and I'm still getting to know its intricacies, so I'm hoping you guys can help. My spoiler seems to work as advertised, extending with a tap of the button and retracting with the button being held. But it stays extended if I manually extend it, then turn the car off. My understanding reading this thread and others is that its supposed to retract every time I turn the car off. I actually like that it stays extended and I don't have to do it manually every time i turn the car on, but I'm wondering if there is an issue, or something else is going on. Thanks.
It's working properly - check your owner's manual.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I think that's working properly. Just keep an eye on the hydraulics from inside the engine bay. If you see fluid seeping from one of the cylinders, your days are numbered.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 PM
There's not any leaks and it goes up and down no problem with the button. But it definitely doesn't retract after I drive it and shut the car off. The light goes out on the button the next time I start it, but the spoiler stays up. I'm wondering if that setting was somehow modified in the computer, because otherwise it works perfectly. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, just curious.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:29 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
As I said above, it's working exactly as it should.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping spoiler extended?