997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Just figure that strange town no p car dealer I can have the tools for a tire shop to help me. I have wheel and tire insurance but my rims are perfect and if I road trip I feel better having the tools. For playing in the neighborhood no big deal.

Originally Posted by WaltB
The Torque wrench probably will when out of the carrying case but I have always carried it in the back seat in its case. I only carry it to DEs though. Without a carry spare tire option what would be the point otherwise unless you are transporting it somewhere?

With a flat tire you have two realistic options:
1. Goo and go
2. Tow

Unrealistic options

1. Take the wheel off and leave your car on the side of the road.

Walt

Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
That makes perfect sense.
Get smart on the procedure so you can supervise or help the shop that may be doing changes.

Walt

Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Sobrut911 is infamous around these parts
There is a third option if you get a flat due to a nail or screw. You can put in a temporary plug using a $12.00 tire repair kit to get you to the nearest Porsche dealer/ indie shop to properly repair it with a patch on the inside or replace the tire.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
You are correct. That would work as a temporary measure and is probably preferable to the goo. Good catch!

Walt

Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
The owner's manual also lists an emergency procedure that can be used if no massive torque wrench is available. So, if you kept a breaker bar in the car, you could get by until you can get to a dealer.

I know several people who have broken the collapsible Porsche breaker bar. I would consider it for emergency use only. It may get you out of a jam in the middle of nowhere. Or it may break and make things worse. I guess the Germans misunderstood 'breaker' bar.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
ChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to beholdChrisAW is a splendid one to behold
I'm selling my breaker bar and torque wrench for $450 shipped. Jump on it, its a damn good deal:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ck-wheels.html

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WaltB
I disagree,

Center lock wheels are easy to take on and off and are really no big deal. You do have to invest in the correct tools and understand the correct procedure but once you have both it's really not bad at all.

Also, you don't have to have someone step on the brakes for you although that is one method. The other is a simply using a brake pedal depressor.

I've taken mine off numerous times and like I said it's no big deal unless of course you are a woman or 100 Lb. man in which case the torque required would be tough to achieve.

I would also not recommend a torque multiplier since the accuracy can be off as much as 10%.

If you still have questions about procedure simply ask to watch the process at your local Porsche dealer. They do them day in and day out.

Walt
Who are you calling a woman, Walt?
I have done it several times, it's not hard but it's a pia!
I would carry a plug kit and learn how to use it.
I had to do it with the CLs one time on the way to njmsp, now that was a hassle.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Chris,

Definitely not calling you a woman.

I just took my front wheels off today to take the bumper off and was trying to decide if it was a PIA or not. Not question the tools are expensive and the Optimoly is a real PIA if you get that stuff on anything, but I guess I have taken them off so often I don't really mind. I've got a set procedure and can remove them pretty quickly.
I like the look of center locks and prefer them.
To each his own I guess.

Walt

Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 AM
If you're going with a tire repair/plug kit be sure to have a small flashlight to find the nail or screw, especially at night, and needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Thanks,

Good Idea...Will add flashlight, pliers, gloves and a small compresser to the list. I sure hope I can fit come clothes in the Frunk with the CL weel Kit, and associated items.

Originally Posted by Sobrut911
If you're going with a tire repair/plug kit be sure to have a small flashlight to find the nail or screw, especially at night, and needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Anyone know of a brand name of a "good" tire plug kit complete with all the tools?

I just looked and there are many types.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I bought mine at autozone and added needle nose pliers, flashlight.