997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Center lock wheels

Anyone with the stock center lock wheels figure out a way to get them on and off at home? I wonder is a battery impact gun would work?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
You'll need a long bar attached to your CL tool. I would not recommend an impact gun. You want to ease it off.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSF721
Anyone with the stock center lock wheels figure out a way to get them on and off at home? I wonder is a battery impact gun would work?
Maybe some good info here - it's a "sticky" on the 997 forum

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ips-tools.html

Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Read your owners manual and look at the adapter for the center lock nut...says No impact driver!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Torque multiplier helps too.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Thanks.
Originally Posted by mdrums
Read your owners manual and look at the adapter for the center lock nut...says No impact driver!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks Chris. When you had you S did you ever take off the CL's?

Wondering how big a deal this is?

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon

Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Sobrut911 is infamous around these parts
You will need another person to step on the brake.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Thanks Chris. When you had you S did you ever take off the CL's?

Wondering how big a deal this is?

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes, it's a massive pia.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I disagree,

Center lock wheels are easy to take on and off and are really no big deal. You do have to invest in the correct tools and understand the correct procedure but once you have both it's really not bad at all.

Also, you don't have to have someone step on the brakes for you although that is one method. The other is a simply using a brake pedal depressor.

I've taken mine off numerous times and like I said it's no big deal unless of course you are a woman or 100 Lb. man in which case the torque required would be tough to achieve.

I would also not recommend a torque multiplier since the accuracy can be off as much as 10%.

If you still have questions about procedure simply ask to watch the process at your local Porsche dealer. They do them day in and day out.

Walt

Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
If you don't recommend a torque multiplier what would you recommend?

I want to learn how to tak these on and off and purchase the correct tools. Planing a driving vacation with the wife this summer and I am totally uncomfortable not knowing how to safely and properly remove the tires.

Also. I heard there is a spare tire that fit in the car. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by WaltB
I disagree,

Center lock wheels are easy to take on and off and are really no big deal. You do have to invest in the correct tools and understand the correct procedure but once you have both it's really not bad at all.

Also, you don't have to have someone step on the brakes for you although that is one method. The other is a simply using a brake pedal depressor.

I've taken mine off numerous times and like I said it's no big deal unless of course you are a woman or 100 Lb. man in which case the torque required would be tough to achieve.

I would also not recommend a torque multiplier since the accuracy can be off as much as 10%.

If you still have questions about procedure simply ask to watch the process at your local Porsche dealer. They do them day in and day out.

Walt

Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
If you don't recommend a torque multiplier what would you recommend?

I want to learn how to tak these on and off and purchase the correct tools. Planing a driving vacation with the wife this summer and I am totally uncomfortable not knowing how to safely and properly remove the tires.

Also. I heard there is a spare tire that fit in the car. Anyone have a link?

Thanks.
I'm not aware of any CL spare tire...there is a 5-lug spare.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I have never heard of a center lock wheel spare so I can't comment on that.

Here is what I use to take off and put on my center lock wheels:

Porsche Breaker Bar: Porsche part number: 997-361-161-00 (Can purchase at Suncoast Motorsports for around $300.00)
Castrol Optimol Paste TA (Also At Suncoast for around $25)
Precision Instruments CD4D600F Torque Wrench- (Lots of places for around $500)
Brake pedal depressor: http://www.etoolcart.com/brakepedald...520.aspx(About $40.00)

I also bought this for PCCB protection:
http://www.3rauto.com/parts/3r_parts/
It's $350 but will ensure you never hit your PCCB rotors. No necessary BUT be really careful!!!

There are a lot of threads on what others use and where they bought their parts so take a look at those also.

Walt

Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks Walt, does this equipment fit inside the car? In the front frunk?

Originally Posted by WaltB
I have never heard of a center lock wheel spare so I can't comment on that.

Here is what I use to take off and put on my center lock wheels:

Porsche Breaker Bar: Porsche part number: 997-361-161-00 (Can purchase at Suncoast Motorsports for around $300.00)
Castrol Optimol Paste TA (Also At Suncoast for around $25)
Precision Instruments CD4D600F Torque Wrench- (Lots of places for around $500)
Brake pedal depressor: http://www.etoolcart.com/brakepedald...520.aspx(About $40.00)

I also bought this for PCCB protection:
http://www.3rauto.com/parts/3r_parts/
It's $350 but will ensure you never hit your PCCB rotors. No necessary BUT be really careful!!!

There are a lot of threads on what others use and where they bought their parts so take a look at those also.

Walt

Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 PM
The Torque wrench probably will when out of the carrying case but I have always carried it in the back seat in its case. I only carry it to DEs though. Without a carry spare tire option what would be the point otherwise unless you are transporting it somewhere?

With a flat tire you have two realistic options:
1. Goo and go
2. Tow

Unrealistic options

1. Take the wheel off and leave your car on the side of the road.

Walt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center lock wheels