997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
We have installed and used these shifters and cables for months now and have had not issues considering NVH. They are a nice part - keep in mind the cables come with a small press in that goes on the end links. I know some folks installed the cables with out the "bushings" and that cause issues.

Hope that helps. We enjoy the notchy feeling when driving and its such a nice piece.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
yes there was a guy that didn't put on the little plastic pieces and he was basically saying that the noise was so loud that it precluded normal conversation. Perhaps he was exaggerating, lol. But anyway, rest assured that the nvh is not intolerable. I suppose there is a certain amount of break-in, or adjustment before things settle into final position - Steve I wouldn't take the cable out right away if you aren't sure. Give it a week or 2. I realize it's a lot less convenient, but there's no doubt that there was a sort of "bedding in" period. I realize that's not an accurate term (it refers to brakes), but I hope the point is clear...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Cannga,

Tranny is out...no better time then the present to upgrade!

Numeric shifter will be installed by the end of the week. However, I have opted to go with 996 CUP Cables! As well as lots of 999 Porsche Motorsport Clutch & assembly parts.

Couple all this with an Aasco Aluminum Fly Wheel & GMG tranny urethane mounts. Hopefully this will prove to be a recipe that can handle the rigors of real track work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VID_BRR_02.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	907.0 KB
ID:	253083  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
Cannga,

Tranny is out...no better time then the present to upgrade!

Numeric shifter will be installed by the end of the week. However, I have opted to go with 996 CUP Cables! As well as lots of 999 Porsche Motorsport Clutch & assembly parts.

Couple all this with an Aasco Aluminum Fly Wheel & GMG tranny urethane mounts. Hopefully this will prove to be a recipe that can handle the rigors of real track work.

I had the Aasco on my 997TT - it's a little noisy, but revs matching is very easy.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Bob, my car is noisy, period! I don't think I'll notice much of a difference. However, I'm sure I will be able to pickup some minor audible differences. My exhaust pretty much neutralizes everything in my cabin. Not to mention, the widows are usually down and a helmet it on!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
D, does your car still have the hydraulic assist in the clutch?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Bob,

Interesting you mentioned this. This was brought up in our meeting this evening and they will be researching options tomorrow. So, yes...as of now it does have hydraulic assist.

Can you offer any insight to this? Obviously you know some thing since you brought it up.

Many thanks in advance.
VID (D)

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
D,

My clutch setup was a Sachs 2 clutch, 764 pressure plate, and an Aasco LWFW. When my car was at Ruf, they found that my slave was leaking, so we discussed doing a GT2 hydraulic conversion. I opted against it and had it replaced under warranty.

When I got the car, I liked the setup, but found the engagement to be a little high, and the hydraulic assist made finding the engagement difficult. The "range" of engagement was very narrow, much more on/off.

In comparison to my friends 997TT, which was the same clutch setup with a GT2 slave conversion, I found the engagement much more temperamental with the hydraulic assist because engagement was more touchy.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the hydraulic delete. I use my GT2 as a daily driver and find the pedal effort gives you much better feel.

Can - sorry for the hijack.

bob

Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Bob,

Thanks. I am 100% positive Can will not consider this thread "hijacked" in his never ending quest for knowledge! Its the sum of all that makes it complete.

Last edited by VID997; 06-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 PM
When I compare my original OEM clutch + hydraulic assist versus my Sachs 2/764/Aasco setup + hydraulic, I found that the engagement point (much higher) and the engagement range (much shorter) were the biggest issues. The hydraulic delete makes engagement much easier to "feel." The increased effort took about a week to get used to in my GT2, but I should have opted for it when Ruf suggested it.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
VID & Bob, absolutely no problem at all. Have you not seen what's going in my Cargraphic thread? Even *that* doesn't bother me; the more the merrier. (Wait... why is it all quiet there now? Bob, did you send out some police-type cease and desist warning? )

VID is there anything you don't have? :-) I wasn't surprised you were already onto the Numeric stuff.

Last edited by cannga; 06-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chris Green@USP
We have installed and used these shifters and cables for months now and have had not issues considering NVH. They are a nice part - keep in mind the cables come with a small press in that goes on the end links. I know some folks installed the cables with out the "bushings" and that cause issues.
Hope that helps. We enjoy the notchy feeling when driving and its such a nice piece.
Thanks Chris for your feedback. A few questions please (anyone else feel free to chime in as needed):

1. Do you *always* install both Numeric shifter and Numeric cable, or do you sometimes just change shifter alone?

2. Are you familiar with the Porsche OEM SSK? How does Numeric shifter's throw compare to SSK throw? Shorter or longer or same? The throw of the OEM SSK is perfect for me and I am not looking to change that.

3. What I *am* looking for is a more solid and precise feel. More metallic, less rubber. Would switching from OEM SSK to Numeric shifter (without cable change) enough of a change to improve this?

4. Please explain what you meant by "notchy" above? That is not neceessarily good is it? Thanks.
>>>>
notchy [ˈnɒtʃɪ]
adj (of a motor vehicle gear mechanism) requiring careful gear-changing, as if having to fit the lever into narrow notches
>>>>

Last edited by cannga; 06-18-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks Chris for your feedback. A few questions please (anyone else feel free to chime in as needed):

1. Do you *always* install both Numeric shifter and Numeric cable, or do you sometimes just change shifter alone?

2. Are you familiar with the Porsche OEM SSK? How does Numeric shifter's throw compare to SSK throw? Shorter or longer or same? The throw of the OEM SSK is perfect for me and I am not looking to change that.

3. What I *am* looking for is a more solid and precise feel. More metallic, less rubber. Would switching from OEM SSK to Numeric shifter (without cable change) enough of a change to improve this?

4. Please explain what you meant by "notchy" above? That is not neceessarily good is it? Thanks.
>>>>
notchy [ˈnɒtʃɪ]
adj (of a motor vehicle gear mechanism) requiring careful gear-changing, as if having to fit the lever into narrow notches
>>>>
1. We have installed each item separately and seen positive results.

2.You can actually adjust the length of the throw so that's a plus.

3.What you are describing in my opinion is the NR SSK.

4. Mechanical is a better way to describe over notchy.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Cannga,

I drove a 775 TT not to long ago with a OEM SSK. I did not care for it and I did not like how low the shifter sat in the console. I'll be having the Numeric set-up in the standard throw/height position.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
My exhaust pretty much neutralizes everything in my cabin.

OMG I almost fell off the chair laughing. So funny.

Yes please give your impression of the Numeric Shifter - don't worry about the noise assessment part; I got the picture (still laughing when I type this LOL).

Last edited by cannga; 06-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread