997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
Okay, picked the car up last night and only had time to drive it home.....hmmmmm....is all I can really say at this point. It's going to take some time to get use to. The first/second move requires some effort, as does reverse. Third, forth, and fifth seem to be very tight and close, but manageable.

CUP Cables...no sound at all that I can tell.

Solid tranny mounts....very noticeable....solid and tight, I like it!

Aasco Al Flywheel: Definitely NOT for every one. It's loud when idling and at stop lights. Most will think something is seriously wrong with your car. If they drive it with the shifter and Flywheel they will think your car is crap. If they know you and understand your intended purpose for the vehicle...they will be like, OMG!!! That is one serious machine and not for your average driver.
VID, thank you for pulling no punches in any of your reviews. Regarding the Numeric shifter, am I reading you right that it's actually harder to shift into gear now, especially 1st to 2nd and reverse, but the other gears are more difficult as well?

Are there adjustments in the Numeric (I have *no* idea) to alter the tightness?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
VID, thank you for pulling no punches in any of your reviews. Regarding the Numeric shifter, am I reading you right that it's actually harder to shift into gear now, especially 1st to 2nd and reverse, but the other gears are more difficult as well?

Are there adjustments in the Numeric (I have *no* idea) to alter the tightness?
the shifter has 3 adjustments for the "throw" of the shifter. i would guess vid has it set to the shortest throw. i started there and found it req. a forcefull shift with your hand. at the medium setting its much better and feels more natural.
reverse is a stiff movement all the way over. theres no mistaking your wanting reverse and not first. i like this.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Okay, picked the car up last night and only had time to drive it home.....hmmmmm....is all I can really say at this point. It's going to take some time to get use to. The first/second move requires some effort, as does reverse. Third, forth, and fifth seem to be very tight and close, but manageable.

CUP Cables...no sound at all that I can tell.

Solid tranny mounts....very noticeable....solid and tight, I like it!

Aasco Al Flywheel: Definitely NOT for every one. It's loud when idling and at stop lights. Most will think something is seriously wrong with your car. If they drive it with the shifter and Flywheel they will think your car is crap. If they know you and understand your intended purpose for the vehicle...they will be like, OMG!!! That is one serious machine and not for your average driver.
D, there are a few reports out there that switching transmission fluids may reduce noise. Do you know what you are running?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Roadie is infamous around these partsRoadie is infamous around these parts
The Numeric Racing Shifter is one of the mods I have that is better than OEM. The other one is my Europipe.
This shifter is rifle bolt tight and smooth. I love mine.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the shifter has 3 adjustments for the "throw" of the shifter. i would guess vid has it set to the shortest throw. i started there and found it req. a forcefull shift with your hand. at the medium setting its much better and feels more natural.
reverse is a stiff movement all the way over. theres no mistaking your wanting reverse and not first. i like this.
Could you (or any Numeric owner) compare the throw of Numeric's 3 settings versus either stock or OEM SSK?

For example, how does the throw of the middle Numeric setting compare to stock throw or SSK throw - shorter? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Bob,

I am currently running an upgraded Tranny Fluid. Its the same fluid they run in CUP Cars...sorry...I don't have the exact brand/make and weight handy at the moment ...although I can find out in the next day or two. I think the biggest contributor to the "noise" is the fact that my Sub woofer is out as well and the carpeted sub base pad and all the insulation.

Can,

I believe mine is set in the "middle" position. Its the closest to OEM, but a slightly shorter throw. The height of my shifter actually feels a tad bit higher, but the shop claims its a tad bit lower (????). One thing I did notice; it feels like the overall shifter position is slightly "stage right" vs more centered as the OEM unit is/was. Unfortunately I have only been able to spend a very minimal amount of time in the car and I will not have the opportunity to drive it again for quite a few days. That being said, I did feel slightly more comfortable driving it Saturday morning vs Friday evening. I am certainly glad I didn't have a track event this weekend and will have time before my next event to get accustom to this new unit. .

Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Could you (or any Numeric owner) compare the throw of Numeric's 3 settings versus either stock or OEM SSK?

For example, how does the throw of the middle Numeric setting compare to stock throw or SSK throw - shorter? Thanks in advance.
i never had the oem in mine. it came with a b&m ssk. the numeric on the middle setting i would say is closest to the throw distance of a b&m but the shifts are more precise and feel more secure. i would routinely miss 2 to 3 with the b&m but rarely if ever miss it with the numeric.
on the shortest setting the throw is minimal almost like a b&m ratchet shifter in a hot rod! but it does require more arm effort than i liked for the street. never tried the highest setting. this is whats nice about the numeric. try all 3 and set it were you like it the best!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
yea what noise are you talking about?
I spoke to Fabryce at GMG aswell as Dan (the owner os N.R). They said the cables dont submit any noise...
GMG also says their polyurethane transmission mount does not transmit any noise and it is actually very loud. Take things with a grain of salt...

Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
mine came in. the cables have plastic cover things on each end. no metal to metal contact. installing everything on the 4th.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Roadie is infamous around these partsRoadie is infamous around these parts
I have mine in the middle setting. It is very similar to the OEM short throw that I had in a previous 997. The feel is just right for me. On the shortest setting it would be too high of an effort for shifting IMO.

This shifter is very precise as a result the shifting is reliable. If your hand is in the right position when you move the lever, you will get the right gear, every time.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I believe mine is set in the "middle" position. Its the closest to OEM, but a slightly shorter throw. The height of my shifter actually feels a tad bit higher, but the shop claims its a tad bit lower (????). One thing I did notice; it feels like the overall shifter position is slightly "stage right" vs more centered as the OEM unit is/was..
Hmmm... interesting.
I know Bob is going to ask me, interesting "good," or interesting "bad"?

Well it is interesting "hmmmm" LOL. I would prefer that the shifter stays in exactly same position as stock SSK, just slicker and more precise. Thanks VID (and everyone) for your detailed comments and please post further observation when you have more time.

A friend had B&M (??) SSK in his 997 Turbo and I very vaguely recall something odd like this, like in reverse gear the shifter stays in some odd position, or something like that.

Last edited by cannga; 07-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
mine came in. the cables have plastic cover things on each end. no metal to metal contact. installing everything on the 4th.
true. but there is metal to metal when you tighten the bolts onto the body hangers/attachment points. The plastic clips were what failed on my stock cable assembly. Did you like the way the NR cables looked and felt like jewelry compared to the stock cables?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I believe my friend has one in his gt3 I drove, he said it was the tightest setting, personally I didn't share for it. One might try using the gt3 shifter, it has a more metallic feel.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned
i added a 997 shift **** to my numeric in my 996 and i like this setup even more!! the **** feels correct and shifting seems effortless now. i have the best of everything in the shift dept now!!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
So unfortunately, between work, travel, and vacations, I haven't had any time to drive my car since all the new goods have been installed. Although last week Friday I did have time to run a few errands with the beast and once she got warmed up in traffic the tranny started making a horrible rumbling noise, similar to that of a small stone tumbler. Stopped by the race shop, they took a listen and pulled the tranny out and shipped it out to Bill Rader Motorsports located in Las Vegas. He received the tranny earlier this morning, dyno tested it and then opened it up. Failures do not seem to be too terrible or costly, but the tranny will be repaired and shipped back out to CA tomorrow, installed back in the car Thursday and ready for testing at Sonoma this weekend. The worst part about this is we had this weekend set aside to test and fine tune the new suspension. Thankfully I was able to realize something was seriously wrong with the tranny before we left and BRR was able to get it resolved in a timely manner.

Bob/Cannga: Regarding tranny fluid….quoted from BRMS below:

"You cannot go wrong with the Delvac that is all I use in the cup cars and RSRs.

All of the blackness I could see on the inside walls of the gearbox was probably from the original oil the box came from then.

One thing to keep in mind with this car/box is that the oil will get a little more punished on a track use car due to the fact that it has no oil cooler."

Bob, we had put Delvac in at the start of the season, the car has seen 3,000 track miles since we changed the fluid in May, therefore due for a refreshing nonetheless. I'll have a full report of all the internal failures soon. I'll post them once I receive the final invoice.

Last track day was June third…looking forward to this weekend…I think I'm going through withdraws…although I can confirm, my bank account has seen some rather serious withdraws over the last two months, and I haven't even driven the vehicle during that time frame. Lets not forget, new rubber is needed as well for the up coming weekend.....

Last edited by VID997; 07-31-2013 at 02:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread