997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
VID, I assume it's more than just the clatter you sometimes get when the a/c is on? I did notice a bit more clatter once the Numeric Cable was put on too. Did they find anything wrong with your transmission? Was it just coincidence?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
So unfortunately, between work, travel, and vacations, I haven't had any time to drive my car since all the new goods have been installed. Although last week Friday I did have time to run a few errands with the beast and once she got warmed up in traffic the tranny started making a horrible rumbling noise, similar to that of a small stone tumbler. Stopped by the race shop, they took a listen and pulled the tranny out and shipped it out to Bill Rader Motorsports located in Las Vegas. He received the tranny earlier this morning, dyno tested it and then opened it up. Failures do not seem to be too terrible or costly, but the tranny will be repaired and shipped back out to CA tomorrow, installed back in the car Thursday and ready for testing at Sonoma this weekend. The worst part about this is we had this weekend set aside to test and fine tune the new suspension. Thankfully I was able to realize something was seriously wrong with the tranny before we left and BRR was able to get it resolved in a timely manner.

Bob/Cannga: Regarding tranny fluid….quoted from BRMS below:

"You cannot go wrong with the Delvac that is all I use in the cup cars and RSRs.

All of the blackness I could see on the inside walls of the gearbox was probably from the original oil the box came from then.

One thing to keep in mind with this car/box is that the oil will get a little more punished on a track use car due to the fact that it has no oil cooler."

Bob, we had put Delvac in at the start of the season, the car has seen 3,000 track miles since we changed the fluid in May, therefore due for a refreshing nonetheless. I'll have a full report of all the internal failures soon. I'll post them once I receive the final invoice.

Last track day was June third…looking forward to this weekend…I think I'm going through withdraws…although I can confirm, my bank account has seen some rather serious withdraws over the last two months, and I haven't even driven the vehicle during that time frame. Lets not forget, new rubber is needed as well for the up coming weekend.....
3000 track miles between gearbox fluid changes is waaaaay too long. I change my fluid (Delvac) every 6 track days and it still comes out pretty nasty even though my car has a gearbox cooler. I do have a Guard LSD which like any LSD will shed some particulates off the clutches making things a bit worse. A good rule of thumb is gear oil changes every 15000 street miles with a track day equal to 2500 miles. Delvac is cheap. I buy it from Mobil in 5 gallon pails at $150 shipped to my door. That's good enough for 5 changes.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Bogg: Yes, this is much more than standard "clatter". Although like you mentioned it is more prevalent when the A/C fan is running. Yes they did find a few bits that needed replacement as well as some main nut that had worked itself lose, all of which could be contributing to this "new" noise. When the car was on the rack and running you could hear it at the front end of the transmission. The sound completely goes away once the clutch is depressed though.

PowderHound:
The shop I work with recommends 6 days as well. The current fluid had seen 10 days.

Sound bite below:

Last edited by VID997; 07-31-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:15 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I presume that's with the gearbox in neutral, foot off the clutch pedal. Yeah it does sound like the "regular" noise just amplified. I see that your car has an "a/c off" button...must be newer than mine!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
some pics from my install a couple of weeks ago.
i spent nearly a full afternoon writing a review and detailed pics and all that stuff but i kept on getting stuck and deleting my write up. (so frustrating, im gonna start making videos instead)
the shifter is great.
"speed shifting" (when doing a 0-60 for example) the tranny still doesnt get into 2nd gear smoothly. the factory cables flex quite a bit (i literally saw them flexing when we had the car on the lift and shifting gears)
i still have the factory cables in the car. i was hoping to put the numeric cables in this week but thats not looking very likely at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000121.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	266860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000138.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	659.5 KB
ID:	266861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000145.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	762.0 KB
ID:	266864  
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback.

I believe VID997 has also mentioned difficulty in switching from 1st to 2nd with Numeric. Please report if there is a solution for this.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i had the same issue on my 997 ssk AND my b&m ssk.
its all in the cables.
to be honest, if i had to pick one (ssk or cables, i'de do cables first).

Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Airjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really nice
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
i had the same issue on my 997 ssk AND my b&m ssk.
its all in the cables.
to be honest, if i had to pick one (ssk or cables, i'de do cables firsth).
Dumb questions - do the Numeric cables work w stock shifter, and has anyone done just cables...?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Airjoe
Dumb questions - do the Numeric cables work w stock shifter, and has anyone done just cables...?
That's not a dumb question at all. I put on just the cables (my original cable broke at the connector). I posted my impressions somewhere, I'll take a look later as I'm at work now. Or, if you search for posts by me it should come up...

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Airjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really nice
Originally Posted by The Bogg
That's not a dumb question at all. I put on just the cables (my original cable broke at the connector). I posted my impressions somewhere, I'll take a look later as I'm at work now. Or, if you search for posts by me it should come up...
This it?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-cables-2.html

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Okay, latest and greatest video once everything is warmed up...do you guys think this is right?

This is what it sounds like after twenty minutes or so of driving. I'm at a stop light, the car is in neutral, engine temp about 210ºF. When I depress the clutch the tumbling & rumbling sound dissipates almost completely. When I turn off the AC you can barely hear it.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
That's an obvious difference with ac on vs off even on a youtube video on my little computer speakers. I don't recall the noise being so noticeable on my car until I changed the cable. Same thing...more obvious with a/c on vs off. But it's not always there. Weird. But I chalk it up to more tranny noise being transmitted via these cables. Hopefully that's right and not something waiting to go BOOM, lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
So, there is another thread we have been discussing LWFW noise:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3920733

In conclusion, I am beginning to believe this is normal after all the reading and various feedback from everyone. I think the shops struggle with the actual cause or unfamiliarity of the noise because essentially we have replaced OEM parts with Motorsports and race car bits that are used in CUP cars. CUP cars do not have AC....therefore no strange noises occur. If I turn my AC off the the ever so slight LWFW rumble/chatter is minimal and 100% acceptable. AC on, different story.....fortunately this is primarily a track toy for me, therefore I can accept the audible distractions and live with this for now

Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't have lwfw but from what I've read the symptoms correlate with your findings. My car is a dd so the benefit of a lwfw would not justify the additional nvh.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Steve, thanks for the feedback.

I believe VID997 has also mentioned difficulty in switching from 1st to 2nd with Numeric. Please report if there is a solution for this.
I am glad I found this thread. I just installed my Numeric Shifter with Cup Cables into my 997 this afternoon, I immediately noticed how much additional force it took to shift into reverse (which I have seen mentioned on forums) However I also noticed that there seems to be an "issue" shifting into 2nd. Not because the throw requires extra strength or anything, but because the shifter seems to not be "in" properly and either pops out or grinds slightly. This did not happen with any gear other than 2nd. I initially came on here to see if there was an adjustment I needed to make and still maintain that question. Really I am wondering if the problem is "me" and my shifts, or if I dont have something adjusted correctly. I am running my lever on the shortest throw position fyi.

Thanks!

-Sayajin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread