997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread

Could someone fill in the blank and complete this thread for me?
Kidding aside, I am seriously in love with this shifter even though I have not caressed the drop dead gorgeous aluminum art work yet.

The real reason for this April's Fool thread: For those considering buying OEM Sport/Short Shifter Kit, I would recommend to wait for first review of Numeric. I think this product is going to be a classic and it's a matter of time before I ditch my Porsche OEM SSK for Numeric.

The first lucky reviewer: please comment on ease of installation, comparison to stock, comparison to OEM SSK, any modification needed for install, could a mechanic "dummy" install it DIY :-), someone on rennlist mentioned it transmits some noise into cabin?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/277735-numeric-racing-short-shifter-review.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...shifter-4.html
"Noises isn't an issue, car does pick up a few vib's at certain rpms but have been able to illiterate nearly all with clothe tape and removing lose coins etc"

Signed,
Lusting & Lusty Shifter

Attached Images  

Last edited by cannga; 06-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
mine is due next week. planning to install on sat (22nd). numeric shifter and cables.
i can not wait.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Steve,

I made this thread with you in mind. All you have to do is type - no excuse not to do full review. I'll bump the thread on the 22nd, would love to have full report no later than the 25th :-).

Are you going to install this yourself? If so please consider DIY posts with pictures. I don't think I am going to install the cable but the shifter itself is a possibility. I usually don't like to install these things but because there seem to be some adjustment choices involved, I might as well learn so I could adjust myself and not rely on tuner.

Have you asked about any potential noise problem with the Numeric Shifter cable? Guys on rennlist discussed noise with Cup shifter Cable - wonder if Numeric is less susceptible?
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...up-cables.html

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I have been on the wait list for sometime....but not just for the shifter...but for the whole kit including their cables. Hopefully they will have their sourcing/production kinks worked out soon.

Cheers,
VID

Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I did a mini-review on the cables but haven't tried the shifter itself. The cables do transmit a little bit of noise but not a major amount imho. I still think the 1 to 2 shift is a little notchy/metallic feeling but not consistently so. Otherwise it's a winner, and gets better with time, likely due to being worked in I presume. I only replaced my cable b/c the stock one broke and this one cost the same but is built much more sturdily.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i have the shifter in my 996 turbo. installion is as easy as doing any short shifter from b&m to 997 oem unit. shift throws are rock solid and rifle sharp. my car had a b&m in it when i bought it and didnt know it. constantly missing 3rd to 4th shiftes. not a single missed shift since the numeric.

there are cheaper units and may work very well with the 911. the 997 s/s gets very good reviews. imo if you want a precise built lifetime unit that will give you zero issues and have the flexibility of a oem throw medium throw or short shift throw all in 1 billet unit the numeric is the only choice

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
What is the difference in a numeric shifter?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I did a mini-review on the cables but haven't tried the shifter itself. The cables do transmit a little bit of noise but not a major amount imho. I still think the 1 to 2 shift is a little notchy/metallic feeling but not consistently so. Otherwise it's a winner, and gets better with time, likely due to being worked in I presume. I only replaced my cable b/c the stock one broke and this one cost the same but is built much more sturdily.
Could you please describe:
1. What does the noise sound like - a hum, etc.? And how loud, could you hear it over the engine's noise/radio for example?
2. The noise is there all the times or just when you shift?
3. Any particular rpm that the noise happens?

Also, are you saying the Numeric cable is more notchy than your stock cable in 1 to 2 shift?
Thanks.

Last edited by cannga; 06-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
yea what noise are you talking about?
I spoke to Fabryce at GMG aswell as Dan (the owner os N.R). They said the cables dont submit any noise...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
see posts 62 and 63:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-cables-5.html

These are similar in construction to Cup car cables which apparently transmit lots of noise from the transmission (whine mainly). I haven't been in a car with cup cables but others have commented that the NR cables are much quieter. After having them for a number of weeks now I'd say that the whine on accel/decel is not as frequent. I'm an audiophile like you (Can) and extraneous noises would bother me but I'm satisfied with these cables even with the radio off. The 1-2 notchiness/metallic feeling is much less than initially noted.

In summary, I liked the stock feel but am happy enough with it as is with the NR cables which are built FAR more sturdily than the stock ones for pretty much the same cost.

If you can get a ride in a car with these cables before committing to them then do it!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM
i hope the cables don't make noise. my car is a DD car that wille asily see 2k miles a month.
if the cables make noise i will remove them and report.
im starting to get sad.
my ssk and cables have not shipped yet...
i was hoping to get everything done by this weekend and do a huge write up.

i sent Dan a pm , hopefully i get my stuff this week.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Steve don't worry - my car is a DD too and I'm not a fan of noise either.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
see posts 62 and 63:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-cables-5.html

These are similar in construction to Cup car cables which apparently transmit lots of noise from the transmission (whine mainly). I haven't been in a car with cup cables but others have commented that the NR cables are much quieter. After having them for a number of weeks now I'd say that the whine on accel/decel is not as frequent. I'm an audiophile like you (Can) and extraneous noises would bother me but I'm satisfied with these cables even with the radio off. The 1-2 notchiness/metallic feeling is much less than initially noted.

In summary, I liked the stock feel but am happy enough with it as is with the NR cables which are built FAR more sturdily than the stock ones for pretty much the same cost.

If you can get a ride in a car with these cables before committing to them then do it!
Thanks for the very helfpul reply. I expected no less from a fellow audiophile .

I plan to change only the shifter, not the cable at this point.

Steve, one thing you might want to consider doing is to just change the shifter first. Shifter install I believe is easy enough to do such that installing in stages does not add much more work than installing both shifter and cable at the same time.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
It definalty is the best Upgrade!!! specially combined with the Cup Cables and RSS Motor Mounts its a Perfect Combo. I cant seem to keep these in my Display long enough.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Cannga,
i might have to do that. if the cables make any noises they willc ome off the car the same day.
i will get everything on video for you guys..
i definately am not doing the motor mount upgrade as i've been told it DOES make the car vibrate..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter For 997 Turbo - First Review & All You Need To Know Thread