997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What's your favorite exhaust for the 997TT
TUBI
10.68%
GMG
4.85%
EUROPIPE
43.69%
FABSPEED
7.77%
TECHART
1.94%
CARGRAPHIC
6.80%
FVD
6.80%
PROTOMOTIVE
5.83%
911TUNE
2.91%
OTHER
8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

The BEST exhaust for the 997TT POLL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
speed21- So you are saying there is no drone at all at any rpm with the europipe? Every exhaust that I have heard has some drone except the stock which doesn't have anything. I have found that the "drone" is subjective to whoever is listening and most will say that the drone is not bad to them.
1) With the Europipe system select any gear out of the 6 and drive at any rpms you like below 3000 to your hearts content. There is no more drone than the stock system made by Porsche but, there is an intoxicating exhaust note, turbo whistle which the Porsche oem system does not have. It is truly brilliant!

2) Of course "they" are going to say the drone is not that bad to them but, if it wasn't "so bad" why are they all having to stay away from going below 3000 rpms or avoiding a gear that will put the engine in that lower rev range?

I think the answer you or any other prospective buyer seek on this quote "drone subjectivity" are all in that silly fantasmical story you hear spoken regularly by certain users seeking to delude themselves and others who haven't yet been conned to get in the same sad old boat as they have placed themselves in. Anyone who owns one of these cars would know full well just how regularly the engine is operating under 3000rpms.....which is 90% of the time (or more).

Furthermore on this "drone subjectivity" nonsense also ask yourself why no vehicle manufacturer (Ferrari, Porsche, MB, Maclaren, Lambo, BMW etc) would manufacture least of all think of putting into the marketplace a car that has drone to where you have to run the engine above 3000 rpms or stay locked in another gear to achieve that? Answer: because you and/or you passengers simply can't use or enjoy the car for what it is.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
" Anyone who owns one of these cars would know full well just how regularly the engine is operating under 3000rpms.....which is 90% of the time (or more)."

Even around town I'm normally above 3000 rpm. How are you driving below 3000 rpm 90% of the time?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aggk
" Anyone who owns one of these cars would know full well just how regularly the engine is operating under 3000rpms.....which is 90% of the time (or more)."

Even around town I'm normally above 3000 rpm.
How are you driving below 3000 rpm 90% of the time?
What gear are you in and how fast are you going?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
2nd or 1st. Always within speed limits. Rarely below 3000 rpm.

I like listening to my exhaust

Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned
2nd or 1st. Always within speed limits. Rarely below 3000 rpm.

I like listening to my exhaust
But how fast? You do know your car has 6 gears and a ton of torque. And you can hear the exhaust under 3000. And do you take off at 3000?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
25 in some areas, 35 in others. It's a SpeedTech so I like the higher rpm sound as well as the turbo whistle.

I just found it odd that people drive below 3000 pm 90% of the time is all.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned
25 in some areas, 35 in others. It's a SpeedTech so I like the higher rpm sound as well as the turbo whistle.

I just found it odd that people drive below 3000 pm 90% of the time is all.
But staying stuck in 1st or 2nd just to hear the exhaust is a bit extreme don't you think? I mean you should be able to hear your exhaust from idle upward.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
My exhaust is pretty quiet at low rpms and wails at higher rpms. Which is my personal preference. I like the ability to be quiet when needed.

I'm sure everyone has their own preference. I was just surprised to hear that people drive around below 3000 rpm 90% of the time.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned
My exhaust is pretty quiet at low rpms and wails at higher rpms. Which is my personal preference. I like the ability to be quiet when needed.

I'm sure everyone has their own preference. I was just surprised to hear that people drive around below 3000 rpm 90% of the time.
...well it doesn't make a lot of sense to waste fuel and engine wear trundling around at city limits stuck in 1st or 2nd unnecessarily revving the engine least of all making any form of racket when all the cars around you are all driving normally. Drive like that around here and you'll probably receive some hand gestures directed at you in a stroking motion out other cars windows....mind you you can hardly blame them for thinking what they are given the driving situation/environment. Like it's hardly a racetrack lol. Me personally? Well I try not to draw negative reactions and insulting type of body language at me when i'm driving iykwim. But each to his own i guess..

Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
I am not a prospective buyer and I am happy with my current exhaust, although it does have slight drone around 2500 to 2800 rpms. I have always stated this and not tried to downplay it one bit. That said, it doesn't bother me because it is not bad. I have had other cars with a drone and have immediately replaced the problem. I would like to hear/ride in a car with a Europipe just so I can hear for myself. Anyone around Knoxville, TN? Most of the other pipes I have heard, so that is why I asked about 0 drone.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Banned
I am not a prospective buyer and I am happy with my current exhaust, although it does have slight drone around 2500 to 2800 rpms. I have always stated this and not tried to downplay it one bit. That said, it doesn't bother me because it is not bad. I have had other cars with a drone and have immediately replaced the problem. I would like to hear/ride in a car with a Europipe just so I can hear for myself. Anyone around Knoxville, TN? Most of the other pipes I have heard, so that is why I asked about 0 drone.
That's fine i am not trying to sell, just offer good advice. What may not bother you personally does evidently appear to bother others that have this GMG system (amongst other brands) and this drone/boom/resonance is a real problem that has many talking more about swapping their exhausts rather than actually spending time driving their car not having to worry about stuff like that.

PS Here is a link to another thread where a user of the GMG with deafness in one ear finds booming with his GMG so you are lucky it does not bother you:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...p1sound-4.html

Last edited by speed21; 07-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Airjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really niceAirjoe is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
That's fine i am not trying to sell, just offer good advice. What may not bother you personally does evidently appear to bother others that have this GMG system (amongst other brands) and this drone/boom/resonance is a real problem that has many talking more about swapping their exhausts rather than actually spending time driving their car not having to worry about stuff like that.

PS Here is a link to another thread where a user of the GMG with deafness in one ear finds booming with his GMG so you are lucky it does not bother you:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...p1sound-4.html
Speed21 - I want to clarify for anyone else reading, and even considering a GMG exhaust. I have it on a cab, so the sound is going to be different than a coupe. As I said in my other post, the sound when the top down is awesome. As any good exhaust, it just makes me want to drive the car harder. With the top up, which should NOT be assumed as sounding the same in a coupe (maybe it does maybe it doesn't - I've ridden in many cars which sound VERY different cab top up vs coupe), it does drone more than I'd prefer for me and my deaf ear on the right side. If I was deaf on the left (instead), it might not be a factor.

Point of all this - I love the exhaust when the top down which is why I bought a cab. The drone is completely undetectable when the top is down. I also would not hesitate to recommend this exhaust to anyone who wants a sweet sounding, louder exhaust, and can live with a little drone - assuming the drone is even as noticeable in a coupe (again assumption). I have a feeling the drone is much less noticeable in a coupe, as in my experience the sound deadening characteristics of a coupe dwarf a cab (top up).

I feel like you have intentionally tried to misrepresent my personal views on the GMG in a crusade to convert the world to EP... Ok, kidding there....

I've not heard an EP in person, but it clearly is an outstanding exhaust based on everything countless people say and would be at the top of my list IF I were going to change mine - I probably won't.... And I for one would not hesitate to recommend GMG if I thought it fit what the person was looking for.

Last edited by Airjoe; 07-05-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM
clay5523 is infamous around these partsclay5523 is infamous around these parts
Matt: I live in Knoxville TN and have a 2008 TT with the EP1.
You are welcome to hear mime. Could meet you at the dealership. They installed mine. clay5523@comcast.net.
It's a great sounding exhaust and a real work of art. Everyone in the shop likes it and it fit like a glove.
Ed

Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Airjoe
Speed21 - I want to clarify for anyone else reading, and even considering a GMG exhaust. I have it on a cab, so the sound is going to be different than a coupe. As I said in my other post, the sound when the top down is awesome. As any good exhaust, it just makes me want to drive the car harder. With the top up, which should NOT be assumed as sounding the same in a coupe (maybe it does maybe it doesn't - I've ridden in many cars which sound VERY different cab top up vs coupe), it does drone more than I'd prefer for me and my deaf ear on the right side. If I was deaf on the left (instead), it might not be a factor.

Point of all this - I love the exhaust when the top down which is why I bought a cab. The drone is completely undetectable when the top is down. I also would not hesitate to recommend this exhaust to anyone who wants a sweet sounding, louder exhaust, and can live with a little drone - assuming the drone is even as noticeable in a coupe (again assumption). I have a feeling the drone is much less noticeable in a coupe, as in my experience the sound deadening characteristics of a coupe dwarf a cab (top up).

I feel like you have intentionally tried to misrepresent my personal views on the GMG in a crusade to convert the world to EP.
.. Ok, kidding there....

I've not heard an EP in person, but it clearly is an outstanding exhaust based on everything countless people say and would be at the top of my list IF I were going to change mine - I probably won't.... And I for one would not hesitate to recommend GMG if I thought it fit what the person was looking for.
Nothing misrepresented here airjoe, only read, used and questioned your own words from your various posts on this subject here and on RL...can link if need be.
For a guy that is so happy with his gmg why all the justification and repeated talk about drone, changing deafness from one side to another etc....changing/swapping the thing out for another if you are really so genuinely happy with it? I think i'm just going to leave this one for the members to figure out..fyi i'm not really into these pathetic cliques where members of the same disposition crusade together in a bid to censor reality against those that expose it. As i said before while you guys are chewing over what to get next us EP guys are livin it. And no mine is NOT for sale!

Last edited by speed21; 07-07-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Nothing misrepresented here airjoe, only read, used and questioned your own words from your various posts on this subject here and on RL...can link if need be.
For a guy that is so happy with his gmg why all the justification and repeated talk about drone, changing deafness from one side to another etc....changing/swapping the thing out for another if you are really so genuinely happy with it?
I'm very confuse...

I love my exhaust but i wish i was deaf so i couldn't hear it because it's too loud for my taste...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The BEST exhaust for the 997TT POLL