997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EP1 vs EP2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kir
Would you have choose EP2 if you had a manual?

Stef said in an email that he always recommends EP1 based on drone, but I have a feeling the guys at Europipe are more sensitive to this than most customers... good sign I guess...
Drone really is a killer for this car if you plan using it regularly so if you have any doubts just take Stef's advice. Fwiw mine is a manual and i believe my ep1 sounds a bit louder from the inside than dianic's which is a tip with EP1. So i'm not convinced tip is a major deciding factor here. I've also heard skands car from outside (but not inside) and it didn't sound resonant at low rpms like certain other systems i've heard. I found the volume of the EP1 and EP2 quite similar actually. I did detect a slight tonal difference but both sounded excellent and more than loud enough to me. But remember to get all of this truly incredible performance and sound without annoying interior drone is a major thing. Worth every penny...

Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 AM
thuggy has a spectacular aura aboutthuggy has a spectacular aura about
On a stock manual car drive in the 2k to 2.5k drone zone and its there, very faint but there, after market exhausts amplify the inherent nature of these cars to varying degrees so its important to listen to each as sensitivity to vary.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Steve_TT has a spectacular aura aboutSteve_TT has a spectacular aura about
I have an EP2….to answer your questions….
1) I didn’t hear either one in person.
2) I don’t think my EP2 is too loud, so I don’t regret not getting the EP1.
3) No issues for me. Based on EP’s reputation, I think that on the odd chance anything squeaked through, Stef would help make things right.
Now for a little more color. After doing my exhaust research, I decided EP was right for me.
- I wasn’t able to audition any systems, but almost all reviews of EP sound are positive.
- EP reputation is A1
- A system I could install myself would be nice. This is made easier with the supplied tools.
- Given no audition, this is a big one. The cost of being wrong is not bad (relatively speaking). On the low prob you hate the system (or when you sell the car) reselling the system shouldn’t be too hard (for a decent price too). Used EP’s seem to get scooped up pretty quick. I’ve seen other systems linger and sell cheaper.
I was going to go EP1 until….
- If I ever go with a big HP kit, the bigger EP2 piping is already there and I don’t need to buy a whole new system.
- There have been EP1’s moving into an EP2’s, but I haven’t seen any 2 into 1. I'm a numbers guy.
- A bit louder (relative) would be OK. The real unknown was whether it was too loud (it isn’t).
- “drone” was a concern (for however you want to define it), but it turned out totally fine. The stock boominess between 2000 and 3000 is slightly louder. If you cruise on the hwy at this RPM….then change your speed or gear. I drive mostly in the city.
- And again, the cost of being wrong is not bad.
I hope that helps.
Steve

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
That was a very helpful rely Steve. When I am ready for an exhaust I will likely go with the EP2.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I have an 07 6speed. I got a EP2 with TPC headers. At first, I wondered whether that was the right choice b/c it is louder than stock. After driving it a couple months though (have had it 2.5 yrs now) I'm VERY glad I got the 2. The car is very close to stock on the hwy with windows up, but with the windows down around town/through the gears, I have to imagine its as good as you can get a tt to sound. Plus, if I ever decide to have the turbos done/ICs, the exhaust is already there. I got a tune and with that and the pipe it was something like 530 at the wheel, so around 610 at crank. Drivability = stock.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM
kir
kir is infamous around these parts
Hi all,thanks again for valuble input. I think your comments confirm that EP1 and EP2 are quite similarsystems – in terms of loudness, drone, tone, and quality. From what Iunderstand, EP2 is just slightly louder and has some drone between 2000 and3000 rpm which EP1 does not have. The tones of EP1 and EP2 are also similar,with low frequencies more present in EP2 due to larger tubing (I find this difficultto verify through sound clips, even though I am using a reasonable stereo). Quality– I am particularly referring to CEL – seems to be a non-issue with bothsystems. EP2 has larger tailpipes to the benefit of appearance. Anyonedisagreeing on any of this?

After somemore surfing on Europipe’s homepage I am starting to wonder if the onlydifference between EP1 and EP2 is the diameter of the tailpipe? I guess Iimagined there were other differences too, but I find no indications of that onthe homepage. And if that’s the case, anymarked differences between the systems would be surprising.

My car hasstock ECU, but modifying this in something I may consider (although I don’treally think there is any lack of power...). Some stage 1 tunes give some additional50 bhp, and includes ECU tune and sport exhaust. However, from my understanding,a sport exhaust is not essential to realize those levels of power so a stockexhaust would be sufficient. It is when you push towards higher bhp levelsthat the stock system becomes too restrictive. So, if this is true, then EP1- being less restrictive than stock - should be sufficiently free flowing from my perspective and probably from most997.1 TT owners' perspective.

To sum up,benefits of EP2 over EP1 (to me) are i) slightly more volume ii) more prominentbass frequencies iii) nicer tailpipes at the cost of 1) some more drone 2) 700euros (900 bucks)

Hypothesis isI’ll go with EP2, but I will try hard to get an audition before I decide.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM
AreaOne has a spectacular aura aboutAreaOne has a spectacular aura about
If I had to make this choice, I would go with EP2 just because you will not have to say if you went with EP1 "this exhaust is great, I wonder how much better the EP2 would be?"

In other words you wouldn't have to buy twice.