997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Do Not be Fooled by this car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of

“Copied from July 2013 Panorama “The Official Magazine of the Porsche Club of America”

News and Views – Street Talk Compiled by Bob Rassa

PORSCHE OWNERS BEWARE! GM is now claiming the new 2014 Corvette is a viable and worthy alternative to Porsche! Do not be fooled by this advertising gimmick! Deep down inside, you know there is no substitute for your beloved Porsche! Dr. Porsche repeatedly shared this mantra, and we know it to be inviolably true.

If any of your friends or neighbors hint that they believe silly claims that the new Corvette is comparable in any way to your Porsche, you have an obligation to set them straight – and quickly! If you want tell them the average age of Corvette owners is 55 while the average age of Porsche owners is much younger and more vibrant 48. But you must act quickly and decisively at the first hint of such a disparaging remark, lest we lose them forever as cherished Porsche owners. “

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody, please tell me that the above is a joke – an April fool’s day joke belatedly published in July. As a long time Porsche enthusiast dreaming of 911, 917, 935, 962 and etc., I am truly ashamed and saddened to read the above and cannot and will not stop myself from speaking out.

Has Porsche really become that pathetic to actually allow something like this to be published in an official PCA magazine! I love cars, all cars without evocation, anything from a Pacer to a Firebird, Bugatti, Jaguar, Lada – basically anything with spark plugs and tires. I have loved Porsche and have owned many of them. I am also blessed to be able to own a Z06 (yes a Corvette Z06) alongside my 997 turbo. Guess what, they are both awesome cars and love them like parents love their children. They are very different but each has its own character and guess what, they are both phenomenal sports cars.

I fully understand the rivalry of these two formidable powerhouses of automotive history and I fully understand the competitiveness between the marques, I go to many Porsche and Corvette events and forums and as stated I have never been so ashamed of being a Porsche owner as I have been since reading the above. I sincerely hope that the Porsche company publicly distances themselves from such a pathetic article, as this article in my opinion has cheapened the Porsche brand or please republish it and put a haha or hehe or LOL after it!

I will continue to love my 997 and my Z06, but guess what, after reading the above the 997 may very well be the last Porsche I ever own – and I am sure some are saying good riddance and that’s a shame, but so be it!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
911 and vette comparisons have long been made. Pca isn't tied to Porsche NA. The lame article doesn't go thru pcna for approval.

Last edited by djantlive; 07-19-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, after reading it, i totally took it in gest as a joke. Lighten up, I think it's acknowledging the corvette as a worthy compeitor and poking a little fun at the rivalry. Thats my interpretation anyway. Oh, hehe, haha i lawled

Old 07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnobd
Is this a Porsche competitor to write?
My apologies, I don't understand what the question is?

ScottKelly 911, I really do hope they meant as a joke or written it in jest.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
I was laughing went reading it too, but didn't take it as a intensional joke by the magazine. Either way, people can make judgement for themselves.
Though I will definitely go test drive the Corvette for fun

Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Rodbuster is infamous around these parts
I don't believe the new Corvette has even been released yet? Until someone gets their hands on one, and tests it, how can they even compare it to a Porsche? I guess that GM can claim whatever they want.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM
drug delivery is infamous around these parts
Having owned both a Corvette and a Porsche (911 TT), I'm pleased to say i've owned both. Each is perfect in its own way. I'd buy another Vette in a second if the back seats in the 911 didn't allow my kids to have some fun too. I'd buy another 911 too even if my kids didn't fit in the back.

People get too upset about these things. It's just a car.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
dewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant futuredewilmoth has a brilliant future
My Z06 was an awesome driver, just couldn't live with the cheesy interior. If they figure that out without making it a pig, the Z06 will be one hell of a car. The motor in those cars is unbelievable, especially considering the archaic technology.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 512bb
“Copied from July 2013 Panorama “The Official Magazine of the Porsche Club of America”

News and Views – Street Talk Compiled by Bob Rassa

PORSCHE OWNERS BEWARE! GM is now claiming the new 2014 Corvette is a viable and worthy alternative to Porsche! Do not be fooled by this advertising gimmick! Deep down inside, you know there is no substitute for your beloved Porsche! Dr. Porsche repeatedly shared this mantra, and we know it to be inviolably true.

If any of your friends or neighbors hint that they believe silly claims that the new Corvette is comparable in any way to your Porsche, you have an obligation to set them straight – and quickly! If you want tell them the average age of Corvette owners is 55 while the average age of Porsche owners is much younger and more vibrant 48. But you must act quickly and decisively at the first hint of such a disparaging remark, lest we lose them forever as cherished Porsche owners. “

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody, please tell me that the above is a joke – an April fool’s day joke belatedly published in July. As a long time Porsche enthusiast dreaming of 911, 917, 935, 962 and etc., I am truly ashamed and saddened to read the above and cannot and will not stop myself from speaking out.

Has Porsche really become that pathetic to actually allow something like this to be published in an official PCA magazine! I love cars, all cars without evocation, anything from a Pacer to a Firebird, Bugatti, Jaguar, Lada – basically anything with spark plugs and tires. I have loved Porsche and have owned many of them. I am also blessed to be able to own a Z06 (yes a Corvette Z06) alongside my 997 turbo. Guess what, they are both awesome cars and love them like parents love their children. They are very different but each has its own character and guess what, they are both phenomenal sports cars.

I fully understand the rivalry of these two formidable powerhouses of automotive history and I fully understand the competitiveness between the marques, I go to many Porsche and Corvette events and forums and as stated I have never been so ashamed of being a Porsche owner as I have been since reading the above. I sincerely hope that the Porsche company publicly distances themselves from such a pathetic article, as this article in my opinion has cheapened the Porsche brand or please republish it and put a haha or hehe or LOL after it!

I will continue to love my 997 and my Z06, but guess what, after reading the above the 997 may very well be the last Porsche I ever own – and I am sure some are saying good riddance and that’s a shame, but so be it!
Wow.
And if someone tells you to jump off the bridge you will do that?
So affected by some stupid "article" is some stupid mag, are you?
Guess what (as you so fond of saying), most 997 owners do not give a ....

Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
IMHO this is the problem with Corvette. 36 months 36,000 and a service dept that treats you like the lady that complains about every thing on her aveo.

Porsche dealers just treat you like they want you as a customer. Chevy treats you like you are chum in the water till they get the sale.
Until that changes, and they have a legit warranty on their supercar, they wont get my business.
My porsche dealer bends over backwards or at least TRIES to accommodate me. My chevy dealer ( tahoe for the boat) treats me like crap and tried to screw me for extra UNNEEDED tires on the inspection. They failed me and gave me a reject letter, I could buy the tires through them for 250 each, list price at the local tire shop? 134$ Of course you ask did I check the wear bars? Sure I did, Not ONE tire was near the wear bars. Its not the $$ that matters is the way they try to nickle and dime you to death. If they do that with service and sales, one HAS to ask if they do the same in the build process. For Some reason I can't assume that Chevy whom in my experience tries to squeeze every cent, cut every corner, and upsell everything they can ( one moron didnt even know what an M3 was, told me it wouldn't be worth as much as a 330I when I went in to see the Z06) decided in the ONE case of the Corvette to actually throw that aside and do the opposite. Its a culture there, a company that builds a car to last for 3 years.

Sorry but chevy has that " how can we squeeze any extra change from this customer." That is REALLY not appreciated.

Last edited by Squat; 07-22-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
ilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of light
Somebody, please tell me that the above is a joke...
It's a joke. If you read Rassa more often you'll get to know his humor and style.

Has Porsche really become that pathetic to actually allow something like this to be published in an official PCA magazine!
PCA is an independent club, and not controlled by PAG or PCNA. Most of us see that as a good thing. Panorama is not influenced by Porsche in any way. Don't believe me? Read Pete Stout's interview w. Andreas Preuninger in the May issue.

Oh, and lighten up, Francis!

The fact remains that GM has built an amazing car in their own right and at a price point that compared to the new offerings from Porsche is a real bargain! Kudos to them.

Last edited by ilko; 07-22-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 PM
I guess what got me was the belittling of another car, which in this case is a very worthy car with a long history. No need to belittle - keep improving your own product...........but as a wise man said "Lighten up, Francis!"

Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Squat
IMHO this is the problem with Corvette. 36 months 36,000 and a service dept that treats you like the lady that complains about every thing on her aveo.

Porsche dealers just treat you like they want you as a customer. Chevy treats you like you are chum in the water till they get the sale.
Until that changes, and they have a legit warranty on their supercar, they wont get my business.
My porsche dealer bends over backwards or at least TRIES to accommodate me. My chevy dealer ( tahoe for the boat) treats me like crap and tried to screw me for extra UNNEEDED tires on the inspection. They failed me and gave me a reject letter, I could buy the tires through them for 250 each, list price at the local tire shop? 134$ Of course you ask did I check the wear bars? Sure I did, Not ONE tire was near the wear bars. Its not the $$ that matters is the way they try to nickle and dime you to death. If they do that with service and sales, one HAS to ask if they do the same in the build process. For Some reason I can't assume that Chevy whom in my experience tries to squeeze every cent, cut every corner, and upsell everything they can ( one moron didnt even know what an M3 was, told me it wouldn't be worth as much as a 330I when I went in to see the Z06) decided in the ONE case of the Corvette to actually throw that aside and do the opposite. Its a culture there, a company that builds a car to last for 3 years.

Sorry but chevy has that " how can we squeeze any extra change from this customer." That is REALLY not appreciated.
What's worse? Chevy giving you the option to at least say 'no' when they're trying to sell you stuff. Or Porsche just charging you $1500 for a painted air vent and pretending that's a fair price? When the profit margin on a Porsche is as narrow as that on a Chevy then I'd say you have room to gripe. Porsche is just waaaay better at 'stealing' your hard-earned money.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
What's worse? Chevy giving you the option to at least say 'no' when they're trying to sell you stuff. Or Porsche just charging you $1500 for a painted air vent and pretending that's a fair price? When the profit margin on a Porsche is as narrow as that on a Chevy then I'd say you have room to gripe. Porsche is just waaaay better at 'stealing' your hard-earned money.
I was going to say something about that post as well...

Seems someone has a superiority complex.

Regarding the dealer problems - this is not isolated to just your Chevy dealer, I've seen entirely too many dealers, selling ALL manufacturers, that have their issues.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Obviously a joke... young vibrant 48 vs old 55?

People need to lighten up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do Not be Fooled by this car!