997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Looking to build ~800WHP 997.1TT Street/Track Attack Setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC
We offer on-the-fly program switching, meaning you can switch from pump gas to race fuel in a second with the press of a button. We are able to do this because we actually rewrite the code within the ECU, as opposed to just flashing the maps on the ECU.

We provide the software for the Champion 65 and 68 kits.

Your other option would be to either have a 2nd ECU, or some kind of handheld flashing device with which you reflash your car each time you want to use different fuel.
Thomas, I have heard of GIAC before and therefore know you guys are a reputable company, so please forgive my ignorance. Does GIAC support actual dyno tuning with the on the fly switching or is it similar to Softronic where I plug in the data cable and it reads the ECU and provides a "semi-generic" flash based upon upgrades?

Chkmgmt, Thanks for the info and I agree with you. At that power level, I prefer dyno tuning. I plan to give both companies a call once I get back from NOLA with the PCA guys this weekend.

-Sayajin

Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Lots of good info here. It would be nice if some other owners would post their 60-130 times with the Champion 68 vtgs. There have been a number of guys who "promised" to post the numbers but then subsequently disappeared. What happened to that guy that put a boatload of cash into his GT2 build with the 68vtgs????? After 6 months of following his build it was a big letdown when he disappeared. KerCar's numbers are great, but it they can't be replicated by anyone else then any reasonable person would question the validity. Reminds me of the APR tune results some people were getting. In the end I believe the APR tune was shown to be the real deal, but not all of the numbers were as impressive as the ones posted which suggests that technique makes a big difference.

I am definitely interested in getting the best vtgs I can find for pump gas but the dyno results don't matter as much as the performance results (60-130, 100-200km/hr etc...). C'mon 68 vtg owners, hook us up with some numbers!!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I am definitely interested in getting the best vtgs I can find for pump gas but the dyno results don't matter as much as the performance results (60-130, 100-200km/hr etc...). C'mon 68 vtg owners, hook us up with some numbers!!!!
Excellent comment!
The best dyno is the P-box and the road. Most of the people seem addicted to dyno numbers that are completely meaningless taking into account the fact that different dynos produce different results with huge differences and some are far from reality.
When someone claims he's been having a powerkit for quite some time on stock internals producing 800whp then he would certainly be able to provide a verified time of low 4's 60-130. I am saying that you can't have that power on stock internals as the rods WILL bent. But I will gladly change my mind if I see some proof. Until then, everything is just assumptions. May I further add that 800whp is approximately 950+ crank...

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT_Crab
Excellent comment!
The best dyno is the P-box and the road. Most of the people seem addicted to dyno numbers that are completely meaningless taking into account the fact that different dynos produce different results with huge differences and some are far from reality.
When someone claims he's been having a powerkit for quite some time on stock internals producing 800whp then he would certainly be able to provide a verified time of low 4's 60-130. I am saying that you can't have that power on stock internals as the rods WILL bent. But I will gladly change my mind if I see some proof. Until then, everything is just assumptions. May I further add that 800whp is approximately 950+ crank...
I guess I'll be the first to prove you wrong. Trust me I will be posting a lot and I wont disappear. I'm registering for the shift sector half mile event too. I'll have some go pros mounted with the P-Box hooked up.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
I guess I'll be the first to prove you wrong. Trust me I will be posting a lot and I wont disappear. I'm registering for the shift sector half mile event too. I'll have some go pros mounted with the P-Box hooked up.
Great! Looking forward to your results!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I have a CMS vehicle with much less horsepower then your goals. See a participants comments from the last event I attended.

"The most impressive car IMO is the 2009 Porsche Turbo. He drove the car to/from the event from SF also... but changed tires at the track to Hoosiers. I would like to get down to his lap times.... or faster The Ariel Atom or the Radical should've been the fastest cars there.... but it is obviously driver skill/***** in the equation."

Are you looking to straight line your car or make it turn? GIAC has also supported my vehicle to get the most out of my mods….they have done several custom maps to do so.

You can do much more on less, if you fine tune your driving abilities first. Ultimate power isn't always the solution…..

Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 AM
May I ask what boost are you running with that powerkit?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
You can do much more on less, if you fine tune your driving abilities first. Ultimate power isn't always the solution…..
Amen!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Sounds like you need some 3076s maann

Old 07-26-2013, 06:23 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
I have a CMS vehicle with much less horsepower then your goals. See a participants comments from the last event I attended.

"The most impressive car IMO is the 2009 Porsche Turbo. He drove the car to/from the event from SF also... but changed tires at the track to Hoosiers. I would like to get down to his lap times.... or faster The Ariel Atom or the Radical should've been the fastest cars there.... but it is obviously driver skill/***** in the equation."

Are you looking to straight line your car or make it turn? GIAC has also supported my vehicle to get the most out of my mods….they have done several custom maps to do so.

You are spot on with your assessment here. I've taken my car to Mosport (where the Cup cars race up here) and I've scared myself on the back straightaway getting above 150mph. BUT...I know that I wasn't taking the corners anywhere near as well as some of the more experienced drivers. If I was a track guy I'd definitely need to improve my driving rather than add more power. I've got about 650-675 crank hp on my car.

But I'm more interested in rolling power for those short bursts of acceleration on the highway so bring on the powah!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM
cfpchfc1 is infamous around these parts
Tom,

In my previous post I never said one negative thing about any company that sells vtg's. I just simply stated my opinion on vtg turbos. I know you have posted tons of dyno sheets, but only 1 car that got into the 5's on a 60-130 run? Did you see the recent vtg kit that proto made? It made 700whp on e85 and still couldn't touch the 5's. I know he had a passenger and it was hot, but by no means do these vtg kits touch the performance of a gt kit. There have been many 4 sec gt based Turbo cars running around. That's why there is a significant price difference between the two kits. Also dyno #'s don't mean anything as Martin showed at AMS how easy it is to show higher #'s but you can't tweak a 60-130 time. As far as the warranty goes who really has factory warranty left on a 997.1 anyway? As long as anything involving the kit is warrantied your good. If other things break its not there fault if it's not kit related. Maybe a 997.2, but not a lot of people really mod those just a tune and exhaust. Your 9 sec pass with 997.2 was impressive though.
A note on the warranty (important to me)...
I have one, got the car cpo, the car warrantied modified as long as my cpo will last. Pretty tall order...

Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM
MCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud ofMCGT3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sayajin
Couple of quick items.

One, I plan to build the internals as well as I realize the stock internals are only good for ~600-650whp or so based upon my reading.

Two, I plan to add a cage and race harness along with a HANS device, I will not however be putting in the door rails as this is my daily.

Honestly, from everything I have read, the comparison between GT's and VTG's is an ongoing one with both sides adamant their setup is the better. I must be honest, I am in the middle and not sure which direction to move in. I am familiar with Garrett turbos coming from my GTR34 and EVO IX. My GTR was a built car with an RB30 hybrid engine build and did about 725whp, however I must admit, that was when I was doing street racing/drag racing and not road racing.

After some thinking/additional research, it may indeed make sense to lower my power goals as this is a road racing car and not a drag car and turbo lag and overheating is a big concern of mine in this field. As I mentioned above, I dont mind spending the money to build the internals, however I dont want to compromise turbo response and performance for power, especially as road racing does not require the same massive amounts as street or drag racing does.

Luckily, I am not one of those hard headed guys who are closed to suggestions and HAVE to do things MY way, hence the reason I posted this thread to get other peoples suggestions and input. I myself am relatively new to the Porsche world coming from JPN Imports primarily and I am here to get input and learn. Please feel free to make any suggestions and know I will not take it personally.

With that said, since it sounds like most dont recommend this amount of power for road racing, what would be the recommended amount of power and setup? Sounds like stock internals will suffice since we are lowering the power to road racing specific targets?

Thanks for the input!

-Sayajin
Go buy a 996 GT3 for less money than you will have in your TT - which will never be a true "road racing" car.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Cannga,

VTG's are limited to around 700whp, after that you need to go with a GT/Alpha turbo. Boost does come in earlier on VTG's though.
Attached is a dyno sheet of a VTG car making well over 700whp....just sayin'

Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Proto does his own tuning and can give multiple maps. I have an e85 map and a pump map. Just need a laptop and 2minutes and I can switch. Switzer can do something with his stand alone, not sure about champion.
With the GIAC software we use, you get multiple programs and a handheld switcher that allows you to switch between them within a few second.

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Lots of good info here. It would be nice if some other owners would post their 60-130 times with the Champion 68 vtgs. There have been a number of guys who "promised" to post the numbers but then subsequently disappeared. What happened to that guy that put a boatload of cash into his GT2 build with the 68vtgs????? After 6 months of following his build it was a big letdown when he disappeared. KerCar's numbers are great, but it they can't be replicated by anyone else then any reasonable person would question the validity. Reminds me of the APR tune results some people were getting. In the end I believe the APR tune was shown to be the real deal, but not all of the numbers were as impressive as the ones posted which suggests that technique makes a big difference.

The owner of that big GT2 build unfortunately had work obligations that both his cars (the GT2 and the Turbo-S) garaged for quite some time. I'll ask him again to see if he's willing to do it...but I can't promise anything.

I still think it's funny that no one wants to believe KerCar's numbers lol. I mean...they guy is 1000's of miles away from us, I sent him the kit in a few boxes, he even had it installed by another tuner!! I mean...how much more non-biased does it get then that?!

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Tom, that car is on a built motor (3.8?) and running what boost?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Tom, that car is on a built motor (3.8?) and running what boost?
Yes, that's a 3.8L running 28psi.

But....still VTG's.

Our 3.6L TT hit 775 awhp on about the same boost, I'll try to find the sheet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to build ~800WHP 997.1TT Street/Track Attack Setup