997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Looking to build ~800WHP 997.1TT Street/Track Attack Setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sayajin
Thomas, I have heard of GIAC before and therefore know you guys are a reputable company, so please forgive my ignorance. Does GIAC support actual dyno tuning with the on the fly switching or is it similar to Softronic where I plug in the data cable and it reads the ECU and provides a "semi-generic" flash based upon upgrades?

Chkmgmt, Thanks for the info and I agree with you. At that power level, I prefer dyno tuning. I plan to give both companies a call once I get back from NOLA with the PCA guys this weekend.

-Sayajin
Yes, we have an in-house Mustang AWD dyno that is used for all of our development work. We also perform significant road testing in various ambient conditions.

In terms of a "generic" tune, I can assure you that we would not leave any safe power on the table (I think Tom will agree with this, as we work with them so frequently). The only way you might be able to squeeze out some more power from our software would be if you added a higher grade fuel (say 110 leaded or better) and we tuned specifically for that. This is something that we can certainly work out for highly modified vehicles.

We actually flash multiple files onto your ECU. The switching device we use is simply that, as it does not store any files within it. The benefit to loading multiple files within the ECU is that you can switch between them in a second, as opposed to actually flashing the ECU with a different map.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT_Crab
May I ask what boost are you running with that powerkit?
I have an idea but I rather not discuss at the moment. As soon as I get everything confirmed I will post though.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:10 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cfpchfc1
A note on the warranty (important to me)...
I have one, got the car cpo, the car warrantied modified as long as my cpo will last. Pretty tall order...
Yes, if you have a CPO warranty then it would obviously be an important factor for you.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by MCGT3
Go buy a 996 GT3 for less money than you will have in your TT - which will never be a true "road racing" car.
I would just buy a 997 GT3RS or a 991 GT3 if your only tracking.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Attached is a dyno sheet of a VTG car making well over 700whp....just sayin'
Has anyone ever posted any 60-130 times with your built motor and VTG's?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cfpchfc1
A note on the warranty (important to me)...
I have one, got the car cpo, the car warrantied modified as long as my cpo will last. Pretty tall order...
Our Champion Motorsport warranty blankets your CPO for as long as the CPO is valid.

Originally Posted by yumaverick
Has anyone ever posted any 60-130 times with your built motor and VTG's?
Not that I'm aware of. We've had a few 1/4 miles passes in the low 10's but no 60-130. Apparently, after getting my a$$ kicked in this thread...I need to make it my mission to make that happen.

*edit...actually....the person who bought KerCar's full used kit did do a few 60-130's...but he never sent in the results. I think he went as fast as 5.7 on pump gas. He also ran a 10.08 or 10.1 quarter with the car. He's from the Northeast somewhere. He is on 6Speed but doesn't like to post this sort of stuff for some reason.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 07-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Not that I'm aware of. We've had a few 1/4 miles passes in the low 10's but no 60-130. Apparently, after getting my a$$ kicked in this thread...I need to make it my mission to make that happen.

*edit...actually....the person who bought KerCar's full used kit did do a few 60-130's...but he never sent in the results. I think he went as fast as 5.7 on pump gas. He also ran a 10.08 or 10.1 quarter with the car. He's from the Northeast somewhere. He is on 6Speed but doesn't like to post this sort of stuff for some reason.
It would be really good for your company to have some customers post some times. It would probably help you sell a lot more kits than you already do. Try and get that customer to go to an event(half-mile) in the north east.

Thomas from Giac said he's going to try and get a customer with your full 65mm kit to go to the airstrip event so if he does I'll have the race on the go pro and I will upload it. Maybe Thomas can bring P-box and hook it up to his car for you guys.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
gkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the roughgkinvest is a jewel in the rough
With all due respect to all members and vendors.

Being 54 and having spent seven figures for modding cars in my life, I have come to very specific conclusions.

1) What is the profile of the owner of the car?
2) Are you looking for the absolute maximum ?
3) Is reliability a factor ?
4) What is the background of the tuner you are going to trust ?
Is the vendor involved in any true racing conditions ?
Are his mechanics experienced with TRUE LIFE race conditions ?
5) Are some 1/4 mile numbers or 60-130 numbers enough to ensure that after
50 or 100 or 200 runs the engine will still be intact ?
6) Finally, can you handle all this power and torque ?
Do we understand here that if someone is to spend 50k on the engine, he must
spend another 50k at least, on the rest of the car to keep it on the road ?
7) Which vendor can sign such a warranty, so when the bad moment comes, you will
not see fingers pointing the other way ?

Just some thoughts.

Me ?

I would trust ( and I do trust ) only people who have spent their life as mechanics
modifying true race cars.

In common sense that is called experience.

George

Old 07-26-2013, 08:04 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

I still think it's funny that no one wants to believe KerCar's numbers lol. I mean...they guy is 1000's of miles away from us, I sent him the kit in a few boxes, he even had it installed by another tuner!! I mean...how much more non-biased does it get then that?!
I don't think there is any reason NOT to believe the numbers that were achieved. Your reputation and credibility are first class as far as I am concerned. However, many of us have pointed out that it is just odd that there is only 1 result posted even though there are many cars running the turbo. Just sayin. Arone had promised results for his car on pump gas and all of a sudden he sold it. Of course it is just coincidence. There was another thread where you had said that you will probably have some of your customers cars and should be able to get some pbox data, did anything come of that?

I've made it clear that I am interested in a set of these turbos for my own car so I'm not just busting your chops for no good reason , I want to see some pump gas pbox numbers so I can make an informed decision. I don't concern myself about whether the dyno shows 600whp or 700whp, it's the acceleration numbers that speak for themselves.

Last edited by The Bogg; 07-26-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

His numbers were on e85. He just beat me by 2 minutes out of buying KerCar's setup. He was very happy with the 68s last time I communicated with him so I couldn't get him to sell the package to me.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I don't think there is any reason NOT to believe the numbers that were achieved. Your reputation and credibility are first class as far as I am concerned. However, many of us have pointed out that it is just odd that there is only 1 result posted even though there are many cars running the turbo. Just sayin. Arone had promised results for his car on pump gas and all of a sudden he sold it. Of course it is just coincidence. There was another thread where you had said that you will probably have some of your customers cars and should be able to get some pbox data, did anything come of that?

I've made it clear that I am interested in a set of these turbos for my own car so I'm not just busting your chops for no good reason , I want to see some pump gas pbox numbers so I can make an informed decision. I don't concern myself about whether the dyno shows 600whp or 700whp, it's the acceleration numbers that speak for themselves.
+1 I'm very curious as well!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
His numbers were on e85. He just beat me by 2 minutes out of buying KerCar's setup. He was very happy with the 68s last time I communicated with him so I couldn't get him to sell the package to me.
I'm guessing it was tuned by protomotive because Giac (who tunes champion's kits) does not offer E85!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
I'm guessing it was tuned by protomotive because Giac (who tunes champion's kits) does not offer E85!
correct

Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
A 5.7 on e85 leads me to further question a 5.5 on "****ty pump gas". I'm sure giac will say "its all in the tuning" but... Todd seems to know a 'bit' about tuning these cars. Unless he was severely fuel limited. I know in my case, 80# injectors are out of any headroom so we can only run 21psi. That and torque limits, and pump limits. Basically it all runs out at approx the same point on e85.

Long story short, I want to believe in Tom/Champion, but I want at least one more data point.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
For the most part - yes. Also a big factor in that is that VTGs are CHEAP compared to alpha setups on 997 turbos. 63.5 VTGs from proto are like $2100. Alpha 28/3071 kits are 15K at the cheapest because you have to change out many parts. Upgraded VTGs can work with a full alpha-type setup (like mine) or with everything stock. You can upgrade only what you want to. So they're much easier pill to swallow assuming you want under 800hp or so.
Thanks (everyone) for the good explanation and good thread. I didn't realize there is such significant difference between the choices.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to build ~800WHP 997.1TT Street/Track Attack Setup