997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RE-11's vs R-888's and Gauge Stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I found the MSS superior to the re11, ESP on a long fast track like wgi.
The best pure track tire; r6 hoohoos.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I found the MSS superior to the re11, ESP on a long fast track like wgi.
The best pure track tire; r6 hoohoos.
They don't call the HoHo's crack for nothing!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
The weather finally cooperated and I had an opportunity to run the new R-888's at the track this weekend. Whereas I had been turning 2:08's on the RE-11's, I managed a couple of 2:06's with the 888's and I think there's probably another second or two lurking within them. They don't provide the audible feedback the 11's do but they breakaway at the limits very predictably and overall the level of grip is certainly superior as one would expect. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Also installed an OBD2 gauge from Brockway Engineering that can monitor 23 different engine parameters and display 4 at a time. I chose Intake Air Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature and Air/Fuel Ratios on Bank 1 and Bank 2. IAT's reached 170+ degrees and I'm not sure what is considered excessive. Any informed opinions would be appreciated while ECT's climbed to 232 degrees. Ambient temps were in the high 90's. What is interesting about this is the coolant gauge in the instrument cluster never budged above 175 degrees lending credence to the thought that it's a dummy gauge with limited real value. Eventually I'll have another sensor installed to monitor exhaust gas temperatures but that's another project for another day.
Hey Dean,
It was great seeing you out there this past weekend. Your car really looks fantastic and it's definitely moving out there. I've thought about it and I'm pretty sure the limp mode is a result of the high IAT's. Even though ambient temps were in the upper 90s Sunday (hotter than Saturday), the measured temp in the staging area and on track was 115F+. 170F IAT is way up there. The highest I've seen on my Dgauge for IATs was the mid 140s and I've never had any issues. You must be really heat soaking everything as the day progresses. Is your Evoms intake aluminum? I know on my car, RUF uses double walled insulated intake pipes made out of some type of rubberized composite material which keeps the heat from elevating the intake air temps. Maybe some type of a heat insulating wrap might help.

Another issue may be the intercoolers. Some of the big heavy free flow aftermarket types will act as heat sinks and have a difficult time cooling off quickly. I use the 997GT2RS ICs which have the composite endtanks and have been proven to have some of the best thermal recovery out there for cars that get used in a track environment. These ICs have a very dense aircraft quality core and are very light. Something the think about.

Hope you get it all sorted out. See you out there soon!

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-25-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
John,
Thanks for your thoughts. It's clear that I'm going to have to keep an eye on the temps and determine if Sunday was an anomalous situation or something potentially more chronic. I'm running an IPD Y-pipe and plenum and Evoms Clubsport intercoolers and headers. IPD makes a thermal wrap for the turbos and headers advertised to increase performance while offering the side benefit of lower engine compartment temperatures. I'd like to speak to someone who has actual experience with them. I not familiar with other companies which may manufacture similar products but I haven't spent much time investigating it yet either.

Also, congrats on your DE victory this weekend!! Sub 2:00 minute laps was really moving and gives the GT3 drivers something to aim for! See you at the Sept. DE if it hasn't started to snow up here by then!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Also, congrats on your DE victory this weekend!! Sub 2:00 minute laps was really moving and gives the GT3 drivers something to aim for! See you at the Sept. DE if it hasn't started to snow up here by then!
Chris Cervelli has a truly amazing ability to set these cars up and make them go fast. If you ever get a chance to ride with him and/or get some coaching from him, do so! It's an eye opener for sure. I've never ridden with a more capable driver. With his coaching and set up I've been able to shed almost 3 second over the last couple of weeks and he feels that we have another second or so with more fine tuning. On Hoosiers I should be able to get it to 1:56 or so. See you out there in a couple of weeks!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Detailed discussion of different tires' characteristic - got to love a Porsche forum, where great and sometimes nutty minds meet .

Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
The weather finally cooperated and I had an opportunity to run the new R-888's at the track this weekend. Whereas I had been turning 2:08's on the RE-11's, I managed a couple of 2:06's with the 888's and I think there's probably another second or two lurking within them. They don't provide the audible feedback the 11's do but they breakaway at the limits very predictably and overall the level of grip is certainly superior as one would expect. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Also installed an OBD2 gauge from Brockway Engineering that can monitor 23 different engine parameters and display 4 at a time. I chose Intake Air Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature and Air/Fuel Ratios on Bank 1 and Bank 2. IAT's reached 170+ degrees and I'm not sure what is considered excessive. Any informed opinions would be appreciated while ECT's climbed to 232 degrees. Ambient temps were in the high 90's. What is interesting about this is the coolant gauge in the instrument cluster never budged above 175 degrees lending credence to the thought that it's a dummy gauge with limited real value. Eventually I'll have another sensor installed to monitor exhaust gas temperatures but that's another project for another day.

Keep an eye out for those R888 and a tread seem splitting across the tire. When the R888 wear out go get some Nitto NT01's and you will enjoy even more grip and much longer wear. The R888's heat cycles out in around 5-7 track days. R888 is the worst of the r-compound tires.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by E55AMG
They don't call the HoHo's crack for nothing!
Was at the Glen with R6s this past weekend. I'm freakin' hooked. Only problem you get so fast it's scary with slower cars.

Here's a video of Saturday. There weren't a lot of cars, I just caught everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMPuW...ature=youtu.be