997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RE-11's vs R-888's and Gauge Stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
RE-11's vs R-888's and Gauge Stuff

The weather finally cooperated and I had an opportunity to run the new R-888's at the track this weekend. Whereas I had been turning 2:08's on the RE-11's, I managed a couple of 2:06's with the 888's and I think there's probably another second or two lurking within them. They don't provide the audible feedback the 11's do but they breakaway at the limits very predictably and overall the level of grip is certainly superior as one would expect. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Also installed an OBD2 gauge from Brockway Engineering that can monitor 23 different engine parameters and display 4 at a time. I chose Intake Air Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature and Air/Fuel Ratios on Bank 1 and Bank 2. IAT's reached 170+ degrees and I'm not sure what is considered excessive. Any informed opinions would be appreciated while ECT's climbed to 232 degrees. Ambient temps were in the high 90's. What is interesting about this is the coolant gauge in the instrument cluster never budged above 175 degrees lending credence to the thought that it's a dummy gauge with limited real value. Eventually I'll have another sensor installed to monitor exhaust gas temperatures but that's another project for another day.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
The weather finally cooperated and I had an opportunity to run the new R-888's at the track this weekend. Whereas I had been turning 2:08's on the RE-11's, I managed a couple of 2:06's with the 888's and I think there's probably another second or two lurking within them. They don't provide the audible feedback the 11's do but they breakaway at the limits very predictably and overall the level of grip is certainly superior as one would expect. Definitely a step in the right direction.
Thanks for sharing. How about sidewall stiffness; could you compare body roll between the 2 tires: does RE-11 have more body roll compared to R-888?

And what did you mean by the audible feedback please? More screeching noise with the RE-11 at the limit?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for sharing. How about sidewall stiffness; could you compare body roll between the 2 tires: does RE-11 have more body roll compared to R-888?

And what did you mean by the audible feedback please? More screeching noise with the RE-11 at the limit?
Hello Can,
The 888's sidewalls are definitely stiffer so there is less roll. I think the 888's also have a somewhat more squared-off profile which helps as well.

The 11's howl and screech more at the limits. If they are not making a racket, they are not being driven fast enough! The 888's don't make much noise at all but when they start to slide, it is progressive and easy to correct and control. Not much drama and not bad for a tire that can be driven 225 miles to the track (provided it's not raining). Also, just as a benchmark, my GT3 buddies, who typically run Hoosier or Nitto slicks, lap in the 2:01-2:04 range. Best,

Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Winnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura aboutWinnilaker has a spectacular aura about
I have re-11s on one set and r6s on another. Have you ever run r6s? There is definitely an Audilble difference when at the edge between the 2. When the r6s are done, I want to try something like the 888s or nittos(not sure I can get 19s though). How about length (time) they are good before getting greasy? After 21 minutes or so, my re-11s get slippery.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Okay, now we need someone to report on the new Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires : )

The set of RE-11's I bought earlier this year are still in outstanding condition. They have only seen 5-7 heat cycles...although I think I am on my third set of R6's.

Once these RE's are done, I think I might try the Dunlop's because when things are wet I run the RE's. Not too sure if the 888's would be the best choice for a rain tire/DD tire.

Thanks for sharing Steamboat!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Your IAT's are 170F? I thought the Metzer engine pulls timing and boost at 50C?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Your IAT's are 170F? I thought the Metzer engine pulls timing and boost at 50C?
Quite interesting. The car ran great on Saturday but I don't recall specific IAT's. On Sunday it went into apparent "limp mode" but did not throw any CEL's, DTC's or warning messages. Boost would drop to 3-6 psi but after puttering around for awhile (and dropping IAT's) would return to normal psi. I discussed this with my race shop and we sort of concluded that in the absence of some concrete evidence of a mechanical, it probably was the ECU pulling boost based upon a combination of temperature and the multitude of other parameters it monitors. I drove the car today after recharging the battery (but that's another story......) and everything was fine. Since fifty degrees centigrade = 122 fahrenheit it quite likely was saving me from myself!

Bob, do you know any other specific levels where the ECU steps in? I really do appreciate not having to replace/rebuild another motor but it sort of defeats the purpose of being at the track when it's hot and whatever else. Thanks,

Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
Okay, now we need someone to report on the new Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires : )

The set of RE-11's I bought earlier this year are still in outstanding condition. They have only seen 5-7 heat cycles...although I think I am on my third set of R6's.

Once these RE's are done, I think I might try the Dunlop's because when things are wet I run the RE's. Not too sure if the 888's would be the best choice for a rain tire/DD tire.

Thanks for sharing Steamboat!
I considered the Dunlop's as well but really couldn't find a good track test on them.....or anyone running them yet. I think they should be a better tire in the rain than the R-888's which now, although DOT approved, is being advertised as track and autocross only....no street. I came through a couple of brief thunderstorms on the way home and they seemed fine but the tread won't last long. A friend who runs them advised me to bring a book so I have something to do while I wait out future rain storms by the side of the road.......

Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Winnilaker
I have re-11s on one set and r6s on another. Have you ever run r6s? There is definitely an Audilble difference when at the edge between the 2. When the r6s are done, I want to try something like the 888s or nittos(not sure I can get 19s though). How about length (time) they are good before getting greasy? After 21 minutes or so, my re-11s get slippery.
I have not run the R6's as I have no way to get them to the track but they apparently are the superior track tire. My understanding is the Nitto's are not available in 19's and although I've been reassured that I could go down to 18's without harming the car, my experience is that whenever you screw/tune/mess with one of these cars there are always unintended consequences. So I've resisted......for now.

We ran 25 minute sessions and I didn't particularly notice the 888's getting greasy per se. Now, if you take an early turn in and come in a little hot, they are happy to slide around towards track out. But as I said before, nothing too dramatic. I agree with your assessment on the 11's; about 20 minutes in hot weather before they go away. Best,

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
It's hard to say - I am not familiar with what EVOMS does to the programming - typically the car will pull timing, pull boost, or run richer when IATs climb excessively. When I'm at the track, I usually run 50/50 93/superjuice for a margin of safety.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
Thanks Steamboat and co. First sensible discussion on tyres I have come across in a while. I agree RE11s good grip, nice tyre. However on hot roads and hard driving (within 30 min) they get too soft and the rubber gives, then the back tends to slide. I can't understand people's faith in Michelin MPSC tyres these just let go on the edge. I can't seem to get these to work. I am due for another set of tyres and it's a tough choice. I'm keen on Toyos but my conservative side says Pirellis. It's for street driving, but don't care about wet performance, I tend to stay inside then. Looking for ideas on what tyre to try next?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Re11 and re11a(new version) are great tires, but get greasy fast in my experience. My current tire of choice is the MSS, with msc as a close second. I always found the n rated cups very predictable, personal experience of course.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
It's hard to say - I am not familiar with what EVOMS does to the programming - typically the car will pull timing, pull boost, or run richer when IATs climb excessively. When I'm at the track, I usually run 50/50 93/superjuice for a margin of safety.
I also run a 50-50 mix of 91 pump and 100 unleaded race fuel as well. Despite the race fuel being $9.50 per gallon, that's pretty cheap insurance compared to a damaged motor.......

Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Re11 and re11a(new version) are great tires, but get greasy fast in my experience. My current tire of choice is the MSS, with msc as a close second. I always found the n rated cups very predictable, personal experience of course.
Chris,
How is the MSS for track work compared to the RE-11 in your experience? Thx,

Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
The best bang for the buck track tire (price/perf.) is probably the NT-01. Not sure of the sizes for your car though.

It's been a while, and I didn't do a ton of track days on either tire but i think I slightly preferred the RE-11 to the SS. The RE-11 definitely gets greasy as it gets hot. Just cool them down a bit. The nice thing about them is that while they do get greasy, they don't get destroyed. Again, if memory is correct the SS don't like much more than 36 psi when hot.

Many prefer the BF Goodrich R-1 to the 888 but again, not sure about sizes. Just try different stuff - The nice thing is if you don't like them, you won't have to suffer long with them LOL.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RE-11's vs R-888's and Gauge Stuff