997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Nick,

Somewhere in the thread we installed an Adial IC monitor. It read temps pre IC, Post IC and provided a delta during different running conditions. The information was useful.
This is great info.

Where can I get this monitor from I'll buy one.

I have spare IC hoses now as I replaced all 4 of them so I could use the old ones to fix the monitor too and run a road test!

Cheers Cj!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Red 9
15 odd posts in the thread from one guy who is not the OP --mmm-- perhaps that is where the attention should be directed?

Nick--I suggest you ignore the guy totally--if you are going to respond to him--get all the data you are going to get --then maybe deal with it.

In the meantime-- there are quite a few technically minded guys on the forum that will be interested in what results you come up with-- and I am equally sure they will be interested in the methodology.

To Mr 931--perhaps you can enlighten us ll What is your "expertise" is and where it is coming from? What are your commercial affiliations?
+1 on your statement Red 9 , I just don't understand all negativity here, the data that Nick is trying to present to us will benefit everyone even the tuners, regardless of the outcome. Knowledge is power ,

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slawek
+1 on your statement Red 9 , I just don't understand all negativity here, the data that Nick is trying to present to us will benefit everyone even the tuners, regardless of the outcome. Knowledge is power ,

Cheers Slawek.

Right I have found these to Dual thermometer testers so I will buy one ASAP and start some real world testing in the near future once my new engine has run in!

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fl.../50series2.htm

http://www.davtron.com/product-detail.php?M307FD-CD-10

Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
This is great info.

Where can I get this monitor from I'll buy one.

I have spare IC hoses now as I replaced all 4 of them so I could use the old ones to fix the monitor too and run a road test!

Cheers Cj!
Nick,

I am not sure now. I believe Andial was bought out by Porsche. I'll see if I can get some information.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Here you go Nick. This isn't to say that there are not others out there. The one I used had a probe that tapped pre and post IC. You can mount the digital reader gauge anywhere you want in the cab. On my picture above the first three buttons control the CO2 injection. The digital box is the IC pre, post and delta reader.

http://www.mcx-usa.com/intercooler-t...ture-gauge.php

Just for giggles, the motor is a 4.3L and here is another on board controller hidden in the ash tray.

It controls this .....

Last edited by cjv; 05-09-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Cheers Cj.

This is the company that made the monitor for Andial.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
cjv
Cheers Cj.

This is the company that made the monitor for Andial.

We installed ours many years ago. The date would be in our thread. It appears whoever made this instrument does so for many people now.

It is a simple but effective tool. I do not remember the actual tests now but IC efficiency (when cooling measures are employed) was greatest when ambient temperatures were around 90 degrees. They had little effect when ambient temperatures were around 70 degrees or lower.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I have the results and have made a couple of graphs for now for everyone to understand including myself

Bear in mind all test were exactly the same.

Ambient was 28*C
Boost pressure 1.5bar
Charge air Temp 140*C
Internal Airflow test Range 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 Kg/s
Cooling air Velocity 3,6,9 m/s

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Efficiency chart.pdf (94.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: xml
Intercooler Data.1.xml (35.9 KB, 143 views)
IAT chart.pdf (168.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-05-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Nick, can you confirm IAT vs. Cooling Air -chart's figures, something's missing there...

Thanks for that test and results, interesting indeed. BTW, 0.3 kg/sec equals 0.23 ms/sec which equals 39.6 lbs/min which equals 490.7 CFM.
About the 997.1 turbo's max flow ( per each charger).
9 m/s is just 32.4 km/h, so IRL each cooler should be even more efficient. What's good news IMO is that GT2RS's coolera are very priceworthy.

Neither of those are bad, it would just have been nice to have there some other ones too...

Do you have pressure loss numbers?

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Nick, can you confirm IAT vs. Cooling Air -chart's figures, something's missing there...

Thanks for that test and results, interesting indeed. BTW, 0.3 kg/sec equals 0.23 ms/sec which equals 39.6 lbs/min which equals 490.7 CFM.
About the 997.1 turbo's max flow ( per each charger).
9 m/s is just 32.4 km/h, so IRL each cooler should be even more efficient. What's good news IMO is that GT2RS's coolera are very priceworthy.

Neither of those are bad, it would just have been nice to have there some other ones too...

Do you have pressure loss numbers?
What's wrong with the IAT chart did I miss something out?

I have all the data there is a lot of it. Check above.

GTRS coolers are good for the doe compared to stock cores.

Like you said IRL there is a huge difference as there is a 10*C difference or more between the RS and Aero's at for Eg 150mph.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
I have all the data there is a lot of it. Check above.
Sorry, I initially missed the .xml ! Speaking of which...

What's wrong with the IAT chart did I miss something out?
...in IAT vs Cooling Air .pdf airflow numbers are in wrong order...shouldn't they be like 3 / 6 / 9 - 3 / 6 / 9 - 3 / 6 / 9 . Ie divided in 3 groups according to Charge Air Mass flow? .xml says they should.

Pressure drop -wise differences are minor: @ 0.3 kg/sec / 1.5 bar
-Aerospace 0.17 bar
-GT2RS 0.19 bar
-AKG 0.23 bar

Last edited by pete95zhn; 11-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Sorry, I initially missed the .xml ! Speaking of which...

...in IAT vs Cooling Air .pdf airflow numbers are in wrong order...shouldn't they be like 3 / 6 / 9 - 3 / 6 / 9 - 3 / 6 / 9 . Ie divided in 3 groups according to Charge Air Mass flow? .xml says they should.

Let me check maybe I put it in the sheet wrong!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Yup you was right I'm a newb should be ok now lol

Old 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Here is a heat rejection chart.

Attached Files
Heat Rejection.pdf (90.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Thanks Nick for doing this. A few thoughts:

1) You tested a group of really good intercoolers, one should not think of the fvd as a low performer by any means. I really wish you could have gotten a 3.5" bell core in the mix as it is probably the most common aftermarket core and would have given an aftermarket baseline, disappointing few would play. Same with a .1 core.

2) The gt2 rs cooler flow myth is debunked yet again. Thats still an acceptable delta p at over 700 hp worth of airflow.

3) Do you have any pics of the test setup? The 9 m/s if cooling airflow may not be a simple as it seems. If they were able to maintain that across the core, it may be more realistic that we think. Anyone know the air velocity across the core installed in the car running at various speeds? With the backpressure from the outer core itself, it may be much lower than the car's speed. Just curious if they know something more here as I'm impressed the efficiency is as high as it is at .3 kg/s of charge flow!

4) I've never had good luck with those inlet/outlet temp gauges on automotive apps. They are good in airplane apps where you're at steady state for hours but imo, way too slow to capture useful data over the span of 10 to 20 seconds where most of these in car intercooler tests take place. Maybe theyre much faster now though...

Last edited by earl3; 11-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test