997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Megion, was your third case from the IC or the better intake? Those are drastic differences.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
MegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Megion, was your third case from the IC or the better intake? Those are drastic differences.
Both

Here is my photos, you can use it for your builds guys. Works very well.
Btw for air filters also was made aluminium isolated box, so no hot air suck, only from outside.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4efd3f8s-960.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	285382   Click image for larger version

Name:	39fd3f8s-960.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	285384   Click image for larger version

Name:	6dfd3f8s-960.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	285385  
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Aisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the rough
Thank you sergei for the info...!!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
I bet reverting back to stock air box helped the most!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Hi Markski.

I won't forget the hardwork you have put in to you car which is very inspiring ofcourse and the times you have achieved in the quarter etc... etc... Well done.

What I do wonder is if you did run GT2 RS IC's or something better would your times have improved? You/we would like to think so?

What would be good is if you sent over an intercooler to test alongside the other IC's as you never know maybe your product will anhialate the opposition?

Who knows? But its worth a shot as I think this test will put the debate to rest I hope.

I also encourage other AM TUNERS to do the same if they really have that much faith in their product as this is the time to compair apples to apples for a small fee of course, but isn't it worth it to prove to your customers what you are really selling them and not just give them glossy pics and clever worded paragraphs?
How about this:
for a small fee: (my labor and time inc. track time and prep time) , you supply me gt2RS ICs and Ill retrofit them on my 996( lots of work) and Ill run 60 to 130 and 1/4 after I run my own( which Im about to do)... BTW, I played that game and sent a set to europe.. not going to get in discussion, but its a loose loose scenario... ironically our own 997 made 870whp on same exact product and ran 4.5 sec 60 to 130... 137 mph on pump gas in 1/4 as well... yet it was said to be worse then a gt2rs IC... I gave up because its just a joke... seriously... so while I have as you say glossy pics, I say, show me a 9 sec run and a mid 4 sec run in any 996 or 997 60 to 130 and Ill take my hat off and congratulate you... gt2 rs are good for the money and for entry level stuff... Im not discrediting that... but I do not see any on fast cars... and we are all about fast cars not glossy pics...
best
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
How about this:
for a small fee: (my labor and time inc. track time and prep time) , you supply me gt2RS ICs and Ill retrofit them on my 996( lots of work) and Ill run 60 to 130 and 1/4 after I run my own( which Im about to do)... BTW, I played that game and sent a set to europe.. not going to get in discussion, but its a loose loose scenario... ironically our own 997 made 870whp on same exact product and ran 4.5 sec 60 to 130... 137 mph on pump gas in 1/4 as well... yet it was said to be worse then a gt2rs IC... I gave up because its just a joke... seriously... so while I have as you say glossy pics, I say, show me a 9 sec run and a mid 4 sec run in any 996 or 997 60 to 130 and Ill take my hat off and congratulate you... gt2 rs are good for the money and for entry level stuff... Im not discrediting that... but I do not see any on fast cars... and we are all about fast cars not glossy pics...
best
markski

Markski its okay I understand you are trying to avoid getting involved in this scientific test and I dont know why since you have so much faith in your IC's?

Maybe you do not get the whole point of this excercise which is to show a comparison in heat rejection, pressure drop etc etc.

This has nothing to do with fancy figures on the Qrt or High BHP numbers on a dyno it's just a basic test to prove wether certain intercoolers work better than stock or not so an opportunity for an AM tuner such as yourself or other boards sponsors who have their own to put your/their IC's to the test head to head which is great IMO.

I mean what have you/them got to lose apart from the cost of the test if you are basing your IC data on your Qtr times and peak HP figures you should win no probs?

One more thing I will say is all these high powered horse power figures you keep quoting are not due to IC's but due to you bolting on bigger turbos and running higher boost and obviously other parts to make it work. The IC simply helps prolong the power through the rev range so the cooler the air the more available power you have. It does not give you extra BHP as a peak number but extra BHP is sustained through the rev range which is to do with efficiency do you not agree?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Guys this test is still happening but has been postponed till the 28th of oct as I have to goto Germany now for my engine build.

If any other AM tuners or forum members want to test their coolers in this test you have some time and feel free to PM me.

Regard's,

Nick.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
Good info. Subscribing thanks for taking the time to research

Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by greekc6
Good info. Subscribing thanks for taking the time to research
Your welcome.

The time is nothing for me as I feel obliged to!

For example.

I don't think there is any point me sitting here saying the cooler helped my car do 8s in the Qtr's as this means nothing in reference to cooling?

Also if my car did hit 8's it would also be due to the fact I had a built engine and a pair of gt35's 0r bigger on it! Which is why it probably hit 8's. Then I could add to the fact that having some decent I/C's on my car I could possibly lower my Qrt time who knows?

Old 10-06-2013, 03:08 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Have you ever made a single digit (9.99 or quicker) 1/4 mile pass? There is a lot more to getting a car down the track in that timeframe than making the horsepower. That in fact, is probably the easiest part.

Not to give you a hard time, I like what you're trying to do here - if there was a reasonable test of intercoolers showing true results whatever vendor won the shootout would sell a TON of product. I for one would swap out my 997.2 intercoolers if there were real data available.

As for Mr. Musial and associates, AMS does know a thing or two about Intercoolers. Building fast Japanese cars is not that different than building fast Porsches. If not through true engineering/R&D like Porsche does it, through pure trial and error and real world testing. I'll go out on a limb and say that their intercoolers are probably fantastic.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by rix
Have you ever made a single digit (9.99 or quicker) 1/4 mile pass? There is a lot more to getting a car down the track in that timeframe than making the horsepower. That in fact, is probably the easiest part.

Not to give you a hard time, I like what you're trying to do here - if there was a reasonable test of intercoolers showing true results whatever vendor won the shootout would sell a TON of product. I for one would swap out my 997.2 intercoolers if there were real data available.

As for Mr. Musial and associates, AMS does know a thing or two about Intercoolers. Building fast Japanese cars is not that different than building fast Porsches. If not through true engineering/R&D like Porsche does it, through pure trial and error and real world testing. I'll go out on a limb and say that their intercoolers are probably fantastic.

You have possibly misunderstood everything I have written so I suggest you go back and re read please.

No I have never ran a single digit Qrt but I'm not the one trying to sell I/C's off the back of it?

Also I have not said anything bad about AMS but I also do not agree with some of their literature they have written about their I/C's which I am entitled too! Yes they do build fast cars and some of the worlds fastest AM
Tuned cars has seen but what the hell has that got to do with their cooler is better than the next? Please explain as this is my point you can't!

Thanks for the kind words bro!

Old 10-06-2013, 03:49 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
You have possibly misunderstood everything I have written so I suggest you go back and re read please.

No I have never ran a single digit Qrt but I'm not the one trying to sell I/C's off the back of it?

Also I have not said anything bad about AMS but I also do not agree with some of their literature they have written about their I/C's which I am entitled too! Yes they do build fast cars and some of the worlds fastest AM
Tuned cars has seen but what the hell has that got to do with their cooler is better than the next? Please explain as this is my point you can't!

Thanks for the kind words bro!
Yes, I was having a little trouble following your post. If I got that part wrong I apologize.

Most of the American tuners test intercoolers by bolting them up, running them on the dyno, and seeing how much power the car makes. I'm sure they are comparing intake temps, maybe some CFD modeling for their end tank designs, etc. But it's certainly not an engineering program at the level of Porsche or other high end automakers.

Obviously this favors drag racing or single max effort pulls. How well does that 5" core cool down? Does it take 5 or 15 minutes to cool back down after being heat soaked? How much more than the 997.2 coolers does it actually flow? All very good questions. But I guess the summary of what I'm saying is that until someone goes out and buys them all and tests them we're probably not going to find out.

If budget were not a concern, I would buy the AMS intercoolers. I have 997.2s on my car, so clearly we are mostly in agreement.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by rix
Yes, I was having a little trouble following your post. If I got that part wrong I apologize.

Most of the American tuners test intercoolers by bolting them up, running them on the dyno, and seeing how much power the car makes. I'm sure they are comparing intake temps, maybe some CFD modeling for their end tank designs, etc. But it's certainly not an engineering program at the level of Porsche or other high end automakers.

Obviously this favors drag racing or single max effort pulls. How well does that 5" core cool down? Does it take 5 or 15 minutes to cool back down after being heat soaked? How much more than the 997.2 coolers does it actually flow? All very good questions. But I guess the summary of what I'm saying is that until someone goes out and buys them all and tests them we're probably not going to find out.

If budget were not a concern, I would buy the AMS intercoolers. I have 997.2s on my car, so clearly we are mostly in agreement.

You hit the nail on the head every dyno is different every condition is different so how do these tuners get away with this I don't know.?

This is why I started this thread. Have you seen a single AM tuner come out of the woodwork and say here Nick there you go take this core and put it into the firing line with the rest of them.

NO because they are scared of the truth? Scared they will lose sales? I don't know.

But what I do know is if I was one of them I would happily do it even if it turned out I was selling a product that I thought was good to be proved not so good because I would feel happier selling quality products to customers and not something that is or was possibly worse than what they had in the first place I.e. OEM.

Again this is just my opinion my I seem to see and feel a lot of us think the same.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
You hit the nail on the head every dyno is different every condition is different so how do these tuners get away with this I don't know.?

This is why I started this thread. Have you seen a single AM tuner come out of the woodwork and say here Nick there you go take this core and put it into the firing line with the rest of them.

NO because they are scared of the truth? Scared they will lose sales? I don't know.

But what I do know is if I was one of them I would happily do it even if it turned out I was selling a product that I thought was good to be proved not so good because I would feel happier selling quality products to customers and not something that is or was possibly worse than what they had in the first place I.e. OEM.

Again this is just my opinion my I seem to see and feel a lot of us think the same.

How about we as a community set up a crowed funded test? Assume we can sell the cores after the test at 60% and split the loss between 50-100 6speeders?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
How about we as a community set up a crowed funded test? Assume we can sell the cores after the test at 60% and split the loss between 50-100 6speeders?
I see what you are saying but I don't think you can get this to happen in 2 to 3 weeks?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test