997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:58 AM
_x50_ is infamous around these parts
hi NICK,

i saw your researchs on intercoolers and i need your experience and recommendation, i have a 997 GT2 and my mods. are : FVD X-Pipe exhaust catless, sport air filter, Protomotive Tune, FVD engine mounts.
what is the best intercooler you recommend to use?
TPC 5" or 997.2 GT2rs intercoolers or any other goodies you recommend ?
i use the car as daily drive and some time track, the temperature here it gets around 50c Degrees.

thanks

regards

Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _x50_
hi NICK,

i saw your researchs on intercoolers and i need your experience and recommendation, i have a 997 GT2 and my mods. are : FVD X-Pipe exhaust catless, sport air filter, Protomotive Tune, FVD engine mounts.
i use the car as daily drive and some time track, the temperature here it gets around 50c Degrees.

thanks

regards
I am in Germany and just about to drive back from Fvd to London. I will give you and answer tonight when back home.

Kind regards, Nick.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 AM
_x50_ is infamous around these parts
ok, thanks though

Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
For stock turbos the 997.2 is probably all you need. Chkmgnt picked up about 30whp going from 997.2 to Tpc/proto on his car with 67mm proto motive VTG turbos on E85. I doubt the difference would be as large on stock turbos. He's making 700+ to the tires on his car.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _x50_
hi NICK,

thanks

regards

I personally would use the GT2 RS intercooler as it has been proven to be better than the 5 inch cores. People have tested them against each other with data logging but have never mentioned which companies 5 inch they were using.

If I was you though and this for anyone else for that matter is to wait till this test is done!

Also another thing is if some of the AM tuners on here send me some cores to test we will have a much better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

You mention other goodies what goodies would you like to know about bro?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by rix
For stock turbos the 997.2 is probably all you need. Chkmgnt picked up about 30whp going from 997.2 to Tpc/proto on his car with 67mm proto motive VTG turbos on E85. I doubt the difference would be as large on stock turbos. He's making 700+ to the tires on his car.

I am sure that the 30whp was gained from the 67mm VTG's and the E85!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:17 PM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
I have just entered onto EBAY a set of the GT2 version 2 Intercoolers that I took off my car after 17 months. I replaced them with larger ones!

Anyone have any interest?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-GT2-...cf03ea&vxp=mtr

Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
I am sure that the 30whp was gained from the 67mm VTG's and the E85!
No, actually it wasn't. It's not my car, but it picked up the aforementioned ~30whp swapping from 997.2 to Proto 5" on the dyno. Same fuel, same turbos.

For all the accusing people of overstating the performance of their intercoolers without any scientific testing you are sure praising the 997.2's an awful lot without having yet done that testing yourself.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by rix
No, actually it wasn't. It's not my car, but it picked up the aforementioned ~30whp swapping from 997.2 to Proto 5" on the dyno. Same fuel, same turbos.

For all the accusing people of overstating the performance of their intercoolers without any scientific testing you are sure praising the 997.2's an awful lot without having yet done that testing yourself.
No Rix people on this forum have proved the 997.2's are good and I thank them. Unfortunately they do not wish to disclose who's cores they are tested against but I have a good idea.

I have not accused anyone of anything so I do not understand your comment!

As for scientific data I am in the process of this and also I have done my fair share of data logging which you can see for yourself in some of my threads.

It seems because I have valid questions and opinions you are not happy?

Another thing I must have misread your post in regards to the 30whp gain. The way I read it I assumed he had the turbos fitted at the same time my bad!

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
No Rix people on this forum have proved the 997.2's are good and I thank them. Unfortunately they do not wish to disclose who's cores they are tested against but I have a good idea.

As for scientific data I am in the process of this and also I have done my fair share of data logging which you can see for yourself in some of my threads.

those tests were done under various conditions... different cars... and in some cases the ducking was not put on right to capture the air in the core... on and on...
If you think a 5" core form TCP or proto is worse then a 997.2 IC at 700 whp then you are believing those who really wanted to believe what they set put to believe...
I ask you: show me one 9 sec run or 1 4 sec run or 1 fast 1 mile run on and on... I bet no one can produce one... yet there are many bar n plate cores on fast cars...
I can make a core heat soak and make it look bad... this is not a secret... we even have cores with different fin designs... some for better flow and others for lower intake temps etc...
Ive been in this game as a non tuner for many years and honestly this is crazy to think that a cheap low cost IC will smoke a 5" or 4.5" core on a car.. thats simply crazy talk.. I may be the only one to say this because most 1st tier tuners don't care and know its a loosing battle...
how can any bar n plate core be better then the 997.2 right? its impossible...
just saying it out loud...
what do you need to see.. 1/4 mile times... mph? 60 to 130s? or someone doing a test on car in europe trying to make one look worse then the other..
the same cores some tested made 900whp on a 997... what do you say to that?
and that is a fact...
markski
not angry just speaking my mind because thats just insane what some say...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by GTDeuce
I've seen first hand a few .2 intercoolers pop their ends due to the lack of flow. This with tuned cars and cars using higher boost and turbos with increased volume. It's a fact that it's cooling capacity is really good but also the flow is reduced.

any word on that ???

I am afraid I cannot comment on something I have never experienced GT Deuce.

Maybe the core cannot handle the very high boost levels or the end tanks for that matter but I guess Porsche never designed them to run 1.8 bar and above!

Maybe the core is only efficient within a certain boost and heat range and beyond that range it cannot keep up with the flow?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
those tests were done under various conditions... different cars... and in some cases the ducking was not put on right to capture the air in the core... on and on...
If you think a 5" core form TCP or proto is worse then a 997.2 IC at 700 whp then you are believing those who really wanted to believe what they set put to believe...
I ask you: show me one 9 sec run or 1 4 sec run or 1 fast 1 mile run on and on... I bet no one can produce one... yet there are many bar n plate cores on fast cars...
I can make a core heat soak and make it look bad... this is not a secret... we even have cores with different fin designs... some for better flow and others for lower intake temps etc...
Ive been in this game as a non tuner for many years and honestly this is crazy to think that a cheap low cost IC will smoke a 5" or 4.5" core on a car.. thats simply crazy talk.. I may be the only one to say this because most 1st tier tuners don't care and know its a loosing battle...
how can any bar n plate core be better then the 997.2 right? its impossible...
just saying it out loud...
what do you need to see.. 1/4 mile times... mph? 60 to 130s? or someone doing a test on car in europe trying to make one look worse then the other..
the same cores some tested made 900whp on a 997... what do you say to that?
and that is a fact...
markski
not angry just speaking my mind because thats just insane what some say...

I'm glad you speak your mind its a good thing bro!

I'm not dismissing the fact that performance times is not part of the parcel but in terms of comparing cooling efficiency, heat rejection, pressure drop, recovery time etc etc with one cooler to another it does not help. A 9s Qrt does not explain all this.

What I need to see is what I will show you after the 28th of October which is a hardcore comparison.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-16-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by GTDeuce
Agreed... I thought going that route, but opted to the AMS package as they offer a lot for the $$ and experienced their products first hand made me go for that.

I'll do some logs at the track early next year. I usually run 30 min sessions on decent pace so we will find out pretty quick, how good they work. Home track has 3 decent straight aways, and of course on of throttle constantly and within 30 min there is a lot of time to heat soak.
Thats sounds great GT. Also state your mods too and fuel type. Cheers.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
rix
I'll say this and then let it go - before you call out the vendors on here for not wanting to participate in your test consider that some of that enthusiasm you have for the project is coming across a bit accusatory.

The validity of your data and opinion does not make me happy or unhappy, I don't have a horse in this race. There is no doubt the 997.2 parts are a fantastic upgrade for the 997.1 cars.

AMS actually made a name for itself early on by doing a large camshaft test on their dyno. Martin ran just about every 4G63 cam available on his dyno and released the results. They aren't strangers to this sort of thing.

Dan

Another thing I must have misread your post in regards to the 30whp gain. The way I read it I assumed he had the turbos fitted at the same time my bad!

Last edited by rix; 10-16-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by rix
I'll say this and then let it go - before you call out the vendors on here for not wanting to participate in your test consider that some of that enthusiasm you have for the project is coming across a bit accusatory.

That seems to be only your point of view Rix I haven't said anything bad or slandered anyone? And for the record I dont intend to ask every vendor on here directly! I asked Markski as he came onto my thread giving his views and ideas and I asked AMS as its a fairly new kit and they do have a very good rep so I thought they would have done well in the test.

You are taking all this the wrong way I guess. You should be happy that someone as in one of us the consumer is willing to ask questions as who else does?

Why do forums exist in the first place? Just for vendors to come on here and sell what they like?

I'm afraid that some of us want some real data to back these products before we part with our hard earned as it does not grow on trees!

The validity of your data and opinion does not make me happy or unhappy, I don't have a horse in this race. There is no doubt the 997.2 parts are a fantastic upgrade for the 997.1 cars.

So why even bother coming onto my thread and commenting if you feel a neutral feeling or you don't care either way?

AMS actually made a name for itself early on by doing a large camshaft test on their dyno. Martin ran just about every 4G63 cam available on his dyno and released the results. They aren't strangers to this sort of thing.

I understand what you are trying to say and that is great for Evo owners but how does that help us Porsche owners to prove which cams are great for a 4G63 engine? Especially when the topic of discussion is intercoolers for Porsche turbos!

Dan
The offer still stands for any vendor or end user.

Cheers,

Nick.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-17-2013 at 12:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test