997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTDeuce
Will do for sure. Still debating between upgraded VTGs or Alpha.
Track will run 93 tune, but I run a little higher octane just for safety.
Thats really king of you GT.

Choice of turbos hmm. Hybrid VTG is great for useable power!

I like my FVD 66mm but there has also been a review/thread for the Champion 68's which people are liking a lot but I have never tried myself.

Also a lot of people like Alpha GT3076 or the off the shelf Garrett variant.

Just depends on how far you want to go aye

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-17-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTDeuce
I've seen first hand a few .2 intercoolers pop their ends due to the lack of flow. This with tuned cars and cars using higher boost and turbos with increased volume. It's a fact that it's cooling capacity is really good but also the flow is reduced.

any word on that ???
IMO, based on my own experience, the popping not caused by a increased volume but increased boost pressure. Especially if the pressure peaks violently.
My car's slightly below 997 GT2RS's power (and thus also flow) but had a peaking boost problem, which popped out both inlet side end tanks. There were signs of the same issue also on the other end, which gets the pressure shock from closing TB.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
IMO, based on my own experience, the popping not caused by a increased volume but increased boost pressure. Especially if the pressure peaks violently.
My car's slightly below 997 GT2RS's power (and thus also flow) but had a peaking boost problem, which popped out both inlet side end tanks. There were signs of the same issue also on the other end, which gets the pressure shock from closing TB.

This is good info thanks Pete. It shows that the plastic end tanks have a limit and the debate of the plastic vs metal end tank is put to rest as to go high boost you need a welded end tank to cope.

What boost are you running Pete and what turbo's?

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-17-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK

What boost are you running Pete and what turbo's?
997.1 VGTs. 1.2 - 1.3 bar, but peaks were significantly above that... BTW, if anyone knows someone that fabricates aluminium end tanks for 997.2 ICs , pls let me know!

Apparently Porsche had noticed something too, because 99.2 engines have another set of CVs in addition to CVs built into compressor housings. See pic below:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-997-Turbo-2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	290827  

Last edited by pete95zhn; 10-17-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:07 AM
997.1 VGTs. 1.2 - 1.3 bar, but peaks were significantly above that... BTW, if anyone knows someone that fabricates aluminium end tanks for 997.2 ICs , pls let me know!

Apparently Porsche had noticed something too, because 99.2 engines have another set of CVs in addition to CVs built into compressor housings. See pic below:

Nice info!

Aluminium end tanks. I can only ask for you ;-)

Old 10-17-2013, 03:03 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn't a set of after market blow-off valves mitigate this risk?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Wouldn't a set of after market blow-off valves mitigate this risk?
Yes this is a good point, using a pair of AM blow offs on the y-pipe or the cooler to eliminate extra pressure could help.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Yes this is a good point, using a pair of AM blow offs on the y-pipe or the cooler to eliminate extra pressure could help.
No, because a blow-off valve is only open when you shut the throttle. What's popping off the end-tanks is high boost/pressure at WOT.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by rix
No, because a blow-off valve is only open when you shut the throttle. What's popping off the end-tanks is high boost/pressure at WOT.
And the backlash when closing the throttle from full boost. CVs at compressor outlet are too far to eliminate that and because of that 997.2s have another way of pressure relief just before the TB.

By adding BOV's to a system with MAF metering you're also going to mess A/FRs too. Unless MAF(s) are after the BOV.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by rix
Yes you are quite right Pete mentioned his problem is at peak boost so I guess he must mean WOT.

But it does not cancel out the extra pressure in the system which blow offs could possibly help with.

What do you think Rix?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
And the backlash when closing the throttle from full boost. CVs at compressor outlet are too far to eliminate that and because of that 997.2s have another way of pressure relief just before the TB.

By adding BOV's to a system with MAF metering you're also going to mess A/FRs too. Unless MAF(s) are after the BOV.
I don't know if that is entirely true. A pressurized pipe doesn't care where you poke a hole in it, it will evacuate the pressure as for all intents and purposes the pressure is roughly equal throughout the pipe.

If you don't have enough BOV capacity you're going to see other (uglier) things happening and slamming your compressor wheels/turbo bearings. If vendors like Champion aren't upgrading the diverter valves in their 68mm turbos one could reasonably assume there is enough diverter/BOV capacity in the system.

You are right about messing with MAF metering unless the vented air is recirculated. Those types of kits are available although I haven't seen them used on 911s.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by rix
I don't know if that is entirely true. A pressurized pipe doesn't care where you poke a hole in it, it will evacuate the pressure as for all intents and purposes the pressure is roughly equal throughout the pipe.

If you don't have enough BOV capacity you're going to see other (uglier) things happening and slamming your compressor wheels/turbo bearings. If vendors like Champion aren't upgrading the diverter valves in their 68mm turbos one could reasonably assume there is enough diverter/BOV capacity in the system.

You are right about messing with MAF metering unless the vented air is recirculated. Those types of kits are available although I haven't seen them used on 911s.

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/product...l-port-shortie

Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM
A little update! FVD sent me one of their AKG intercoolers and was kind enough to provide me with a GT2 RS intercooler for the test on the 28th which is next Monday.

I thought I would weigh them to see the difference.

FVD/AKG - 11 internal rows/12 outer rows

GT2 RS - 14 internal rows/15 outer rows

Aerospace core - 12 internal row/13 outer rows

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FVDcoolerweight001_zps5577ff37.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	292941   Click image for larger version

Name:	FVDcoolerweight004_zpscf62345e.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	292942   Click image for larger version

Name:	FVDcoolerweight003_zps13bdf924.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	292943  
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Good stuff Nick! looking forward to the results.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Ditto!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test