997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM
bumperpip is infamous around these parts
Standing ovation for FVD.

Also, weights are intriguing, aren't they ? End tank material is aluminum, save OEM plastic, correct ?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bumperpip

Also, weights are intriguing, aren't they ? End tank material is aluminum, save OEM plastic, correct ?

That seems to be the case also there is less fins so less metal I guess.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bumperpip
Thank you kindly, we are glad to be of help to Nick with these tests and I think this will give everyone some good insight.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
SO I finally pieced together the motive behind this "independant" test.....very interesting. Nick, honestly I am a little disappointed with your lack of forthcoming in your intentions.

After figuring it out, I am not suprised that you arent getting almost any interest from other manufacturers.....

Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
SO I finally pieced together the motive behind this "independant" test.....very interesting. Nick, honestly I am a little disappointed with your lack of forthcoming in your intentions.

After figuring it out, I am not suprised that you arent getting almost any interest from other manufacturers.....

The only motive behind this test is to prove what really works and what doesn't so what's the problem?

No one wanted to play ball to me that speaks in volumes.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
No need to play coy. Your posts on Rennlist indicate there are possible motives.....

"Mine if all goes well and if i intend to start marketing themand selling them should around the $6000 mark which is near enoughhalf the price. Let's see what happens after this test!"

I wouldnt give a product to a possible competitor for their testing either......

Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 AM
No need to play coy. Your posts on Rennlist indicate there are possible motives.....

"Mine if all goes well and if i intend to start marketing themand selling them should around the $6000 mark which is near enoughhalf the price. Let's see what happens after this test!"

I wouldnt give a product to a possible competitor for their testing either......
Yes and what is wrong with that?

If I had something to hide I would not have written it would I.

Look Sherlock you can put me down however you want to the bottom line is after this test it might prove that my coolers might be a lump of scrap metal but you know what I will take that risk. It's a shame no one else has the minerals to do so apart from FVD.

If my coolers show great results after the test I might take it further and bring them to market which again what is wrong with that? Even other forum members have said I should!

Atleast I have brought something to market in the proper manner and with the correct data to back it up!

So again please tell me what you have to gain by coming on here and trying to stir something up?

One more thing I will add to this is I am passion driven and not money driven as I have enough of it thanks.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-25-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 AM
You just dont get it...... You expect companies to send you their products so YOU can test it....then sell your product with claims like in my "independant" (which it aint independant if YOU are paying the bill and YOU are trying to sell the product) testing blah blah blah.

If you were so HONEST about it then you would have said in your INITAL post what your ultimate motives are before you try to shame other companies. I was on board with you until I found out that you are looking to bring a $6000 intercooler to market and you are using this "independant" test to help advertise for it.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 AM
You just dont get it...... You expect companies to send you their products so YOU can test it....then sell your product with claims like in my "independant" (which it aint independant if YOU are paying the bill and YOU are trying to sell the product) testing blah blah blah.

If you were so HONEST about it then you would have said in your INITAL post what your ultimate motives are before you try to shame other companies. I was on board with you until I found out that you are looking to bring a $6000 intercooler to market and you are using this "independant" test to help advertise for it.

You just don't get it it is independent I'm not testing them a company I have no affiliation with is testing them. I think you and others who have not understood what I have written need to go back and re-read the posts I have made carefully and not skip through them.

It is a company anyone can use and they give valuable data.

My intention to bring it to market has not happened yet has it?

I may never bring it to market or I might this is my business and not yours.

So again what are you trying to prove?

As far as I am concerned you have only just joined this forum and have nothing to offer apart from negative comments.

Just please stay off my thread as this topic is about the data collated from the coolers being tested unless you have some valid information to do with this test.

If anything else comes of this we shall see. Apologies to you for trying to be helpful.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-25-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:46 AM
I have read the entire thread and I am crystal clear on your intentions.

You are paying the bill so it isnt independant. Period.

It isnt my business if you are going to sell, but it is important to the subjectiveness of the test.

I am not trying to prove anything other than sharing information. This thread has nothing to do with data collated from the coolers being tested. It was a thinly veiled attempt to pressure vendors into sending you products for free.

I dont see the relavence to me joining this forum 2 years ago and I havent ever brought anything negative to the forum. In fact these posts arent negative, they are merely bringing ALL the information to light versuses hiding some of it.

And I appreciate your concern but I will continue to watch and comment in the thread as I wish.

You got awful defensive and started to attack me all of a sudden. I wonder why?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 AM
I have read the entire thread and I am crystal clear on your intentions.

You are paying the bill so it isnt independant. Period.

It isnt my business if you are going to sell, but it is important to the subjectiveness of the test.

I am not trying to prove anything other than sharing information. This thread has nothing to do with data collated from the coolers being tested. It was a thinly veiled attempt to pressure vendors into sending you products for free.

I dont see the relavence to me joining this forum 2 years ago and I havent ever brought anything negative to the forum. In fact these posts arent negative, they are merely bringing ALL the information to light versuses hiding some of it.

And I appreciate your concern but I will continue to watch and comment in the thread as I wish.

You got awful defensive and started to attack me all of a sudden. I wonder why?
I am not defensive at all and not attacking you I'm just merely stating facts.

You are welcome to come on here and comment with valid info but not to bad mouth what I am doing as I am doing nothing wrong but in your head you seem to think so.

I am paying for my core and the gt2 rs core, FVD are paying for their own.

Someone has to pay the company. You can chip in if you like or anyone can it's not a problem.

Also when I come over to Germany in the next couple of months for recalibration of the software for my new 3.8ltr I am still happy to let you hear the exhaust if you want to.

Just trying to make you understand you are make an unrealistic judgement which is a shame.

Also to add to this if the AM Tuners were to send their products they would have to pay too.

I made that offer to AMS to entice them and they still would not send them and I new for a fact they would not and the question you should be asking yourself is why?

Another thing is Markski coming onto my thread and shouting out he runs 9's ! What does this mean you bolt 5inch cores onto a car and all of a sudden you run 9's?
How does this prove that what you are buying is better than what you already had? It does not does it?

I know I've put myself in the firing line here but to cut through all the marketing hype and misinformation I have been watching on here over the years which I'm sick of I am willing to stand up and take all this upon my shoulders for all my forum friends, brothers etc etc

Because I give a ****! And also have the head to.

Trust me if you ever met me the picture you are painting in your head would be the opposite.

I also respect the fact you have the right to question what I'm doing so no grudges held. ;-)

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-25-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM
The other important thing is there is no government body to rely on in assuring us of certain standards and high quality guidelines that have to be followed by AM tuners therefore as consumers we have to rely on the forums and other peoples experiences.

This is I guess is the point I am trying to make out of all this.

The sad thing is because someof these AM tuners run very fast cars and I don't deny that, in fact it's superb but how do we know how long these parts will last for and how do we know some of these parts exceed or meet the OEM quality?

Again we have to always refer to the forums.

Which we are lucky to have!

6speedonline has been the best eye opener for me as a Porsche enthusiast and I hope it will continue to be.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 10-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
kreativejuices is infamous around these parts
I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and wanted to add my 2 cents.

I am personally grateful to GTRNICK for having the ***** to actually go ahead and undertake this off of his own back. I for sure don't want the head ache, but I sure as hell want the results. I don't see anyone else on here doing anything remotely similar..even the big named Tuners have not done a group test ( be it self or 3rd party ). I look forward to the results and and will make my own educated mind up on them rather than blasting him with premature accusations of playing dirty.

Sure, if his intercoolers perform better and he decides they are worth selling then why should he not do so? You are not being forced to buy them lol.

And regarding the AM Tuners in general, they all say their products are better than the competitors with no independent governing body to verify their claims, yet people do not start to bash them knowing full well they ALL can't be right as their is bound to be one product that is ACTUALLY better than the others.

Hats off to you GTRNICK for doing this!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
It is not very long ago that aftermarket intercoolers were offered(& still on offer?) for the 996 TT that have proven to be absolute crap product and laughable as performance enhancement. Not just bad from performance but also in construction --the result was not just a waste of money-- but the time wasted in sorting all that out--multiply the number of people who spent time on that-- it becomes serious money.
My point is that any testing-- that is real testing by people with expertise -- that gathers data PRIOR to going to the wider market has to be a good thing.
It can be argued about what tests can conclude and the relevance to the real world-- but--I am certain it can add significently to known information.Anectdotal posts about i/c A or i/c B adds little to real data debate.
Let me go on further as an example--- not all that long ago the 1/4 mile times were quoted as a be all and end all of the effectiveness of performance enhancements. It was obvious that this had many flaws-- and after considerable urging ( thx to TB and Jean primarily) many started to see the point of 60-130 times as a better more accurate indication.Over the last few years it has become a widely used number of significance-- and more numbers have become of interest.
My view is that there is nothing to be lost by getting more information-- for those with products to sell -or considering making potential products-- surely it is in their interests also.Sooner or later-- inadequate products will be sorted out thru the industry and eventually the market.
In my own case--I am interested in the intercoolers ability to keep doing the best job possible-not for 9 seconds-- but in continuous use for up to one hour.Many have ideas about which is the "best" core and it may well be that there are numerous suitable cores --- where is the harm in getting more information?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Let me clarify a few things about this test from my perspective.

1. I actually do applaud Nick for doing this. (despite what my earlier posts may imply)

2. I would have no issue with Nick if he would have said I am taking my core and any others and if mine stacks up I may consider marketing it.

3. As far as the actual test I still would have liked to see a couple things:
A. Testing the cores in space in the wind tunnel, not mounted in the car is flawed. I think this does a disservice to the cores. While one may flow best in a "straight line" we all know the intercooler is at an angle and the air needs to turn to get to it. I would love to see the testing done in the car. This can seriously reduce the velocity across the core and make better flow irrelevant because the core wont ever actually see that type of velocity.
B. I would have liked to see different intercooler ducting like the AMS design. While their intercooler fin design may or may not decrease IAT by 5 degrees less in a straight line, their intake in the car could cancel that out and actually make it a 5 degree GREATER decrease. Does modifying (cutting) the ducting cause worse flow and ultimately worse performance even if the actual fin design is more efficient.

ANY data is good to have but in my opinion the closer you can get to car conditions the better and more relevant it is going to be.

Last edited by 93ls1rx7; 10-27-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: speling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test