997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Independant Intercooler Test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:58 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
If you compare the results above for example at 230kmh

Gen1 coolers were 63*c,
Gen2 coolers were 42*c,
Aeros were 33*c and even at 268kmh they were 40*c so still lower at much higher speeds.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
What you will see in the test data is line graphs showing heat rejection, cooler efficiency, heat duty, charge air, cooling air, the data and a certificate.

The test was done to an ISO standard 17025.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:15 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
If you compare the results above for example at 230kmh

Gen1 coolers were 63*c,
Gen2 coolers were 42*c,
Aeros were 33*c and even at 268kmh they were 40*c so still lower at much higher speeds.

Your "Ambient Temp" was 4 degrees colder so the IAT temp is irrelevant, the delta is what is important and what I explained...

Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Your "Ambient Temp" was 4 degrees colder so the IAT temp is irrelevant, the delta is what is important and what I explained...
Listen Mr know it all my ambient temp was 4 degrees colder vs the gen 1 but again if you learnt how to read it's actually warmer than the gen 2 row as it says so above the data

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I read what you posted but you said durametrics, you never mentioned that it wasn't your super special wind tunnel results, that is why I asked.

For the record my "snapshot" was correct.

I tried to let the past be the past but apparently you haven't grown up enough yet....BTW you don't have to be a dick all the time.

LOL you are quite a "special" piece of work aren't you.
I am not being a dick you are just unbelievable.

From now on when you ask me for help and information you can forget it.

You obviously are still bitter and have some serious psychological issues as you are very Jekyll and Hyde.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM
If I would have realized that your "help" could hide a hidden agenda then I wouldn't have even asked. Not sure what you think I am bitter about but I would appreciate that you stop the personal attacks.

I asked a simple innocent question about your "results" and you started to act ridiculous.
Innocent give me a break lol

You know what you are doing and you have a hidden agenda not myself.

For some reason you are jealous, envious, arrogant, ignorant and towards me, why? Because I said the words "if I ever intended to sell these coolers" and mentioned a price in response to someone's question.

My agenda in my head is to prove what works and what does not now if no one wants to get involved fine not a problem what a shame at least someone did.

Who the hell are you coming on here and acting like God Almighty the judge and the jury.

People like you make me sick and you know what thanks for trying to ruin this thread.

It is a shame it has gone off topic and it is a shame you keep coming on it with your poison.

I will leave it there and you know what I have nothing left to say to you and I am not interested in you or your opinion as it means nothing!!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
this thread is going to be locked if the discussion is not kept on a respectful and informative level. No trolling will be tolerated

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eclou
this thread is going to be locked if the discussion is not kept on a respectful and informative level. No trolling will be tolerated
15 odd posts in the thread from one guy who is not the OP --mmm-- perhaps that is where the attention should be directed?

Nick--I suggest you ignore the guy totally--if you are going to respond to him--get all the data you are going to get --then maybe deal with it.

In the meantime-- there are quite a few technically minded guys on the forum that will be interested in what results you come up with-- and I am equally sure they will be interested in the methodology.

To Mr 931--perhaps you can enlighten us ll What is your "expertise" is and where it is coming from? What are your commercial affiliations?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
There is no substitute for keeping things civil. Intercoolers are truly expensive to test, especially given the variables which can require a vast number of tests.

Just my two cents. The best way I have seen to improve almost any intercooler core performance is the BBE Heat Emitting Coating applied by Swain.

Post 27
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3002327

Last edited by cjv; 11-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Red 9
15 odd posts in the thread from one guy who is not the OP --mmm-- perhaps that is where the attention should be directed?

Nick--I suggest you ignore the guy totally--if you are going to respond to him--get all the data you are going to get --then maybe deal with it.

In the meantime-- there are quite a few technically minded guys on the forum that will be interested in what results you come up with-- and I am equally sure they will be interested in the methodology.

To Mr 931--perhaps you can enlighten us ll What is your "expertise" is and where it is coming from? What are your commercial affiliations?
You are right Red and I apologise to you all I got sucked into something I should have just ignored from the strart but I am by no means perfect and made mistake.

Just a general statement.

I never started this thread claiming I am an intercooler Guru.

All I wanted to do was to put a few coolers through the same test to see which is better and which is not and possibly why. I know its not a real world test as the flow rates of the cooling air are much higher in reality than in a wind tunnel but the test is still good enough to establish which cooler is better than the other and possibly for what reason.

I will say I have learnt a few things over the past few years dabbling in this project of mine but I still dont know everything which is why I payed an expert laboratory to run some tests to again learn some more. I was just happy to share what I payed for and learnt with you guys so that we could all learn a few new pieces of knowledge.

Yes I asked a couple of companies to come on board to make the test more fruitful but this did not happen.

No big deal I still gained what I wanted to know which makes me happy.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by cjv
There is no substitute for keeping things civil. Intercoolers are truly expensive to test, especially given the variables which can require a vast number of tests.

Just my two cents. The best way I have seen to improve almost any intercooler core performance is the BBE Heat Emitting Coating applied by Swain.

Post 27
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3002327

One thing the Lab rats did mention was they have tested these thermal coatings for many companies in the past and other than protecting the metal there is no difference in the thermal capabilities of the cooler which I found interesting.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
thread has been cleaned up

Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
One thing the Lab rats did mention was they have tested these thermal coatings for many companies in the past and other than protecting the metal there is no difference in the thermal capabilities of the cooler which I found interesting.
Really, funny how our 4.3L 996tt achieved greatly reduced head temperatures while using coatings on valves, exhaust ports and combustion chambers. So much so the cooling fans never came on.

I'm sure these same people are not familiar with Secan IC's. Maybe they should look into why they use heat extracting coatings. Not claiming coatings to be an end all do all, but they do provide good bang for the buck. As opposed to coating headers, it works but it is far cheaper and more efficient to use wrap.

Heat soak is what limits the ability of IC's to continue cooling. The ability to remove an additional 5-7 degrees is hugh.

We also did another experiment with our Y Pipe. We double jacketed it and injected CO2 into he double jacket and then returned the spay to the IC fins. The power increase was unmistakable.

Andial IC monitor
If you have the time you can find the pages where we flow benched different parts. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-j-maring.html

Last edited by cjv; 05-09-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM
This sounds awesome. Cjv!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 AM
cjv
This sounds awesome. Cjv!
Nick,

Somewhere in the thread we installed an Adial IC monitor. It read temps pre IC, Post IC and provided a delta during different running conditions. The information was useful.

Last edited by cjv; 11-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independant Intercooler Test