997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Ultimate GIAC/Champion Motorsport 68mm VTG Upgrade Thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
i need to pull the trigger SOON on turbo's. i am so confused as to what i want , and what best suits my driving.

i have gt2 gears and i realllly want to enjo a somewhat wide powerband... with my current vtg's, i can mash the throttle at 3k and i'll have torque...

im being talked out of a28's because they arent much biggger than vtg's...
i was set on 3076's, but im afraid they will be too laggy , especially on pump.

i wanted to try the FRP turbos but i havent been able to get any info on them.

im looking for a sub 5 second 60-130... torque down low, and power til 6500.
i am looking for a turbo with internal wastegates. plug and play. the car is street car daily driver !

can we get some videos and 60-130s ?
It's gonna be tough to get a sub 5 on vtg's. Gt3076

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Thomas,

Did you guys get any vbox data from this weekend? 60-130?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
I'm on the same boat. Thinking of doing 65mm vtg and hold me off for a little or just jump into gt30's.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yumaverick
It's gonna be tough to get a sub 5 on vtg's. Gt3076
Until there is a built motor 68mm car, you can't say for sure

Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
how much are 68mm vtgs? what do we do with our current vtgs ? send them in for the upgrade ?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
how much are 68mm vtgs? what do we do with our current vtgs ? send them in for the upgrade ?
Tom@Champion will have to confirm the price, but yes you would send in your OEM VTG's for modification.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor
Thomas,

Did you guys get any vbox data from this weekend? 60-130?
I was able to get the vbox on the car for a couple runs at Shift Sector. Elevation was just over 400 feet, temperatures at 90 leaving us in a sauna-like density altutide of 2800 feet

Vehicle is full weight, OEM tires and wheels. We also dialed back the power slightly, as we have a good knowledge at this point of where this setup will begin to stress the connecting rods. Power was at 660 whp and 660 wtq for these runs.

I'll have some more runs soon in a more favorable DA, so we can see what the stock motor setup can really do.

6.76 60-130
0.7% decline

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Former Vendor
First page has been updated with video content.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Thomas@GIAC
I was able to get the vbox on the car for a couple runs at Shift Sector. Elevation was just over 400 feet, temperatures at 90 leaving us in a sauna-like density altutide of 2800 feet

Vehicle is full weight, OEM tires and wheels. We also dialed back the power slightly, as we have a good knowledge at this point of where this setup will begin to stress the connecting rods. Power was at 660 whp and 660 wtq for these runs.

I'll have some more runs soon in a more favorable DA, so we can see what the stock motor setup can really do.

6.76 60-130
0.7% decline

What fuel was this on?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
What fuel was this on?
This was on the race file for 100 octane.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM
This was on the race file for 100 octane.
Wow that's impressive. I honestly think it was 93 degrees out there(my buddies were there and it said 93 on my iPhone lol). I think with more experience in the car, better temps, E85 if it's an option, and you could hit 5's.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I would love to see this race a bolt on e85 ams gtr. Would be a good race! Props to Giac and champion for making making a great kit!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

6.76 60-130
0.7% decline

nice! I presume this was the car mentioned in your first post with the full package?

I've done some runs in temperatures like this and it definitely makes a difference compared with temps in the 50s and 60s.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Bogg
nice! I presume this was the car mentioned in your first post with the full package?

I've done some runs in temperatures like this and it definitely makes a difference compared with temps in the 50s and 60s.
Correct, it was the car mentioned in the first post with the supporting modifications (inlet pipes, injectors, intercoolers). As I said, for this run the car was turned down slightly from the original dyno due to it being stock motor and the torque coming on so early. We were right around 660 whp and 660 wtq for this run, 22-23 pounds of boost.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
If you are able to get some pump gas numbers in cooler weather that would be awesome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate GIAC/Champion Motorsport 68mm VTG Upgrade Thread!