997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Ultimate GIAC/Champion Motorsport 68mm VTG Upgrade Thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
dunno man check this out with ams

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...-alpha-16.html

18g's for 1500hp ... even if you put 20k in labor you are still far from that 100k

Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alexo

18g's for 1500hp ... even if you put 20k in labor you are still far from that 100k
That's basically just the turbo kit though. So for Porsche, you're looking at the Champion 68mm kit and inlets as a comparison reference. You still need fueling, intercoolers, transmission, driveline, etc.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !

That $18g's does not get you the motor build, transmission upgrade, or any of the other necessary parts (intercoolers, axels, fueling, etc). If you read their site, it states the 1500hp is on their 4.0L engine and a ton of other mods. You're not getting anywhere close to 1500hp out of a GTR (or any car for that matter) for $18 g's unfortunately.

Believe me...the cost of making GTR's run those insane times is probably double what it would cost to make a 1000hp Porsche. Once you get above a certain level, each HP gets more and more expensive, for any car...lol.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM
alexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the roughalexo is a jewel in the rough
so does that mean you two are agreeing its about 100k for a 1000hp dfi engine

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
My buddy has a gtr and got a quote on the alpha 12 kit, which came to $107,000 turn key installed at AMS.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:24 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yumaverick
My buddy has a gtr and got a quote on the alpha 12 kit, which came to $107,000 turn key installed at AMS.
holy ****... hahah that's another gtr!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I would say that it's at least $100k to get you there...maybe a little more. But since we haven't actually done one yet, it's speculating.

We know based on the .1 non-dfi engines that our complete race engine build (with larger displacement) will run you roughly $50-$60k. Between the complete new fuel system and upgraded PDK, I'd say you're looking at another $20-$30k most likely. Then you also need the basic turbo package, which is about $25k.

So yea...overall, you're at $100k or just over it.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I would say that it's at least $100k to get you there...maybe a little more. But since we haven't actually done one yet, it's speculating.

We know based on the .1 non-dfi engines that our complete race engine build (with larger displacement) will run you roughly $50-$60k. Between the complete new fuel system and upgraded PDK, I'd say you're looking at another $20-$30k most likely. Then you also need the basic turbo package, which is about $25k.

Would that be a 4.1 engine? What kind of warranty do you guys give with your built motors?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
Would that be a 4.1 engine? What kind of warranty do you guys give with your built motors?
On the 997.1 cars we've done a lot of turbo 3.8L's and now a couple 4.2L NA engines.

On the DFI car, we'd most like go for a 4.0L or 4.2L, depending on whether we want to just bore, or bore/stroke the motor.

Built motor cars get the same warranty as any of our builds...completely covered for the life of the factory original or Porsche CPO warranty. If the car happens to be out of warranty, we would offer a 2 year warranty on the engine build.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Well clearly what Champion says would trump my opinion, but it looks like we're agreeing that it's in the six-figure ballpark depending on the options.

Personally if I was looking for 1500whp I would buy a Gallardo and take it to Underground Racing.

Last edited by rix; 10-14-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by rix

Personally if I was looking for 1500whp I would buy a Gallardo and take it to Underground Racing.
+1

I can honestly say I would be interested in a built motor down the road though. Wouldn't mind having a Porsche that runs a 3.5 60-130

Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
If the car happens to be out of warranty, we would offer a 2 year warranty on the engine build.
So if anything at all went wrong it's covered 100% parts and labor and transport to get the motor to champion?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
+1

I can honestly say I would be interested in a built motor down the road though. Wouldn't mind having a Porsche that runs a 3.5 60-130
Me too, and I hope someone does it. That's a little beyond my financial commitment level. My wife worries when I go out in our family Ford Edge... She would probably lose her mind if I had a 1500hp car.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Updated the first page with some more racing footage.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Liquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of lightLiquid Assets is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Tom,

I am going back and forth with a 997.1 and a 997.2 I really can't believe with all the money being thrown out there at these GTRs and Gallardo's, having them at 1500whp+, that people don't want a 997.2 PDK Turbo. I would feel this car would be a great contender with the GTR and Gallardo for obvious reasons. Would probably not even need the same hp to contend.

I would love if you could pm me the specs on this build for a 997.2 and what kind of power levels and performance numbers you think we could see.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate GIAC/Champion Motorsport 68mm VTG Upgrade Thread!