997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD plenum installed today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Ok guys so the dyno/plenum install is going down tomorrow at Cobb Tuning.

As some of you know, Cobb has a linked-AWD Mustang dyno. I've actually dyno'd there recently with my 2013 STi and it reads a bit low but no worries we will have a before (stock) and after (with the IPD plenum) on the same dyno, same day.

As I understand it (although I could be wrong), the plenum is supposed to produce the most gain in the mid-range with taper at the top end. So I'm guessing on a lower-reading dyno like Cobb's, it makes +30 AWHP at something like 4,000 rpm, tapering to single-digit gains at redline.

Anyway whatever happens I'll post up in less than 24 hours from now.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM
swc
swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !swc Is a GOD !
Wow it became really interesting thread!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM
DJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the rough
I can't wait. Better than a matinee movie.

Jay

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Guys give me a buzz when you head out there. I may join!
31o6oo185o

Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Sub'd

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Oh boy this is a good one I'm excited

Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Guys give me a buzz when you head out there. I may join!
31o6oo185o
Hi Sam, sure the more the better! The dyno appointment begins at 9am. Cobb SoCal is in Fountain Valley (just off the 405 near Huntington Beach).

Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM
spoiled996 is a jewel in the roughspoiled996 is a jewel in the roughspoiled996 is a jewel in the rough
Subbed and ready to buy if it produces

Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Of course we can even discount that the results are on a .2 tts, which is a very tuned platform. Results on a .1 tt would likely be easier to achieve. Heck, if I could get 30hp with a diy bolt on for $1k, I'd do it too. Let's see, exhaust with 200 cell cats, should add at least 20hp, so I'm at 500. Plenum and I'm at 530. How much more do I get with a tune?

This is interesting discussion on the turbo forum. Plenums were HOTLY debated on the 997 forum a long time ago and I don't recall ever seeing evidence of gains.

Last edited by ryem3; 11-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
Exhaust +20 plenum +30 doesn't work that way. A plenum on its own could add the 25. Exhaust on its own could add the 20 on otherwise completely stock cars. Combined, maybe 30-35. Theres always diminishing returns.
On my car, we did before and after with proto's plenum, and it gained ~8whp, then another 7 with the larger TB. That was on top of big vtgs, ic's, fenderwell intakes, etc etc. You just dont see the big gains once you've gone up in power. But there are legitimate gains. Price/performance is up to you and where you're taking the car.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Just got back from SEMA to a pile of work. Wish I could make it. Have fun with it guys.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
Exhaust +20 plenum +30 doesn't work that way. A plenum on its own could add the 25. Exhaust on its own could add the 20 on otherwise completely stock cars. Combined, maybe 30-35. Theres always diminishing returns.
On my car, we did before and after with proto's plenum, and it gained ~8whp, then another 7 with the larger TB. That was on top of big vtgs, ic's, fenderwell intakes, etc etc. You just dont see the big gains once you've gone up in power. But there are legitimate gains. Price/performance is up to you and where you're taking the car.
Well put. Some of us will keep going until we get to 1hp! Plan things around what your goals are. Gains are there, just depends on your goals and over-all set-up. Be careful with the "calculator dyno".

This test on a stock car will be nice.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chkmgnt59
I confused matters by talking about crank numbers. Based on crank numbers, even cumulatively, these should be easy to achieve. I was aware of diminishing returns. The alleged gains were 30-35 at the wheels. 30 at the crank on top of only exhaust? Should be easy. Should be even better! What's the benefit of increased intake flow if the exhaust is restrictive?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Results

Exactly as advertised.

Greg will post up the more granular results of the dyno graphs but it made a peak gain of 30 AWHP and 34 AWTQ from what I remember.

I will also post up pics etc of the install on the dyno in a new thread/review but for now I will just leave you with the following info and dyno graphs:

First dyno below is "corrected" graph of the highest bone stock run vs highest run with the IPD plenum installed. It made the power in the mid-range as expected and tapered up top. It was hotter when we did the runs with the plenum installed and had to do a number of pulls first to get the ECU to adapt and because of the additional heat from those pulls, you can see it started pulling timing on the top end. Probably due to the fact that I had 91 octane in the car and airflow just can't replicate real-world conditions.

Second and third dyno's below are my stock dynos before the plenum was installed. Second dyno is "uncorrected" and the third is "corrected".

I was pretty much shocked as was everyone else with the stock dyno results. Check out the uncorrected peak of 501/536 AWHP/AWTQ. And the two other runs were stable as well. Again, this is on 91 octane on a Mustang AWD dyno.

After the dyno I drove back to my office (only about 5 miles but did a lot of pulls including my normal 40mph/2nd gear roll-on starts and WOW there is a huge seat-of-the-pants difference. You spend a lot of time in the mid-range on these cars this power delta makes a big difference.

I'm convinced this product is a terrific bang for the buck.

Thanks to Mike and Greg of IPD for taking the challenge. Their product is the real-deal and I'm one happy customer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997.2 Turbo S Stock vs IPD.pdf (589.0 KB, 375 views)
File Type: pdf
997.2 Turbo S Stock Corrected.pdf (601.7 KB, 370 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
IPD FTW!!!

Congrats Mike and Greg. Turbo Mike installed my plenum and throttle body himself - class act that guy is. And funnier than sh#t.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD plenum installed today