997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1TT To GT2 Clutch Slave Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
997.1TT To GT2 Clutch Slave Conversion

I am on my second accumulator in my 2007 997.1TT. I have a Sachs clutch installed and an AWE tune (ECU and exhaust).

Before I replace the accumulator, I think I need to strongly consider doing the conversion to the GT2 slave.

I have searched several threads and tried to read up on it, but I have a few questions remaining.

1) What is the preferred source for the conversion kit? EVOMS? Others?
2) Which kit is the easiest install (for my mechanic)? I've read some may require dropping the trans....
3) What should I look out for and what should I be sure to alert my mechanic about?
4) Where to buy the kit?

I understand that many keep the assist spring to help reduce clutch pressure required. And, if one goes with the EVOMS, to make sure to get the braided line version.

Thanks!!

Last edited by InTheAir; 11-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Many results can be had utilizing the forum search function. EVO and SpeedTech kits are both good using OEM parts. I do not have to drop the trans when I do the service. Make sure to remove ALL OF THE PENTOSIN from the system. If not - components will fail due to the composition properties of the pentosin.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Check your PM's please. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by InTheAir
I am on my second accumulator in my 2007 991.1TT. I have a Sachs clutch installed and an AWE tune (ECU and exhaust).

Before I replace the accumulator, I think I need to strongly consider doing the conversion to the GT2 slave.

I have searched several threads and tried to read up on it, but I have a few questions remaining.

1) What is the preferred source for the conversion kit? EVOMS? Others?
2) Which kit is the easiest install (for my mechanic)? I've read some may require dropping the trans....
3) What should I look out for and what should I be sure to alert my mechanic about?
4) Where to buy the kit?

I understand that many keep the assist spring to help reduce clutch pressure required. And, if one goes with the EVOMS, to make sure to get the braided line version.

Thanks!!
1) I have the evoms kit.
2) There is a DIY for the conversion. I didn’t read through it in detail as I just had my mechanic do the conversion when my accumulator/slave were otherwise being replaced under warranty. With that said, I just did a clutch bleed last week and I have no idea how you would do this without some sort of transmission drop.
3) Make sure they FULLY bleed the system. Residual pentosin in the clutch master cylinder can prematurely wear out the seals. I was having an issue where the pedal would get ‘stuck’ about 2” from being fully up when releasing, and it had a sort of crunchy feel in to it at this position. I replaced the clutch master cylinder and shot some WD40 in the return spring and it has been OK since then. Make sure you have a nice smooth pedal all the way down AND all the way up, slowly and smoothly pushing/releasing it.
4) Bought from john@speedtech here who is awesome.

While I do not know what an actual GT2 clutch feels like, when you are done with this conversion I can confirm for you that your clutch will feel like a GT3RS

The kit comes with a new return spring... you definitely want to use it.

Also, I did not know Porsche was making a 991.1TT as early as 2007! :P

Last edited by djben; 11-05-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Awesome feedback. Thank you, sir!!!
Originally Posted by djben
D'oh! It seems to be incorrectly stated in your quoted part, but correct in my initial post (with edit notation).

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
While I do not know what an actual GT2 clutch feels like, when you are done with this conversion I can confirm for you that your clutch will feel like a GT3RS

The kit comes with a new return spring... you definitely want to use it.

I have a client with a 996 GT2. Clutch pedal is lighter feeling (less stiff) than a converted turbo. No by much IMO.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
I have the EVOMs kit bought direct, and it is a great upgrade. Porsche fitted mine, but they did drop the box (so I had it done with my clutch). They also did not want to cut the lines from the power steering pump, but removed them completely, so that it could be restored if need be. This might be why they wanted to drop the box.

The pedal feel is a vast improvement, and the clutch biting position is always the same, unlike with the accumulator, where it feels different almost every time. This means no stalling on low throttle starts, and no over slipping on the big throttle starts.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
Even though the original accumulator on my '08 Turbo never failed, a few months ago I did a preemptive strike and had the EVOMS GT2 clutch actuator kit installed along with a Sachs Performance clutch at my local independent shop. No issues whatsoever with the installation or the followup performance. The combination is great. Very predictable clutch pedal take up. Much stiffer at first but I've gotten used to it. Now it feels like I've always had it. The Sachs clutch has all the clamping force I need for the FVD Brombacher tune and exhaust that I did a couple of years back.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
I was considering this conversion until I sat in a GT3 and felt the clutch and thought it was too stiff for an everyday drive and traffic!

Still toying with the idea though.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-05-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i did the oem conversion with 512$ worth of parts. dilled and clearanced the inside of the trans in 30 min. its an easy swap. the hardest part was actually getting the new master cylinder in place. tight quarters to work in.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
This is actually perfect timing for this post as I want to get a bit of feedback as well, however slightly different.

I did the GT2 hydraulics conversion kit in my 997.1TT a few months back when I installed my ERP Triple Carbon clutch. Install went fine and the clutch feel was excellent as far as I was concerned. (we of course dropped the tranny as we were replacing the clutch, I also removed the power assist)

However about a month later I had a catastrophic clutch failure on a clutch that is designed to handle 1300+ WHP (I have about 650whp). After pulling it apart and sending the clutch off to ERP to be inspected and rebuilt, we found out that the clutch failure was due to the pin in the slave cylinder conversion being too long, which caused the clutch to always stay "partially engaged" creating massive amounts of heat which destroyed the clutch. This was confirmed by 2 other parties as well and it was said "oh, your supposed to shave the pin down some, they vary in length sometimes due to machine differences"

So my question is two fold, one has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the slave cylinder pin, and two, how do you know how "much" you are supposed to shave the pin to ensure it is functioning properly?

-Sayajin

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sayajin
This is actually perfect timing for this post as I want to get a bit of feedback as well, however slightly different.

I did the GT2 hydraulics conversion kit in my 997.1TT a few months back when I installed my ERP Triple Carbon clutch. Install went fine and the clutch feel was excellent as far as I was concerned. (we of course dropped the tranny as we were replacing the clutch, I also removed the power assist)

However about a month later I had a catastrophic clutch failure on a clutch that is designed to handle 1300+ WHP (I have about 650whp). After pulling it apart and sending the clutch off to ERP to be inspected and rebuilt, we found out that the clutch failure was due to the pin in the slave cylinder conversion being too long, which caused the clutch to always stay "partially engaged" creating massive amounts of heat which destroyed the clutch. This was confirmed by 2 other parties as well and it was said "oh, your supposed to shave the pin down some, they vary in length sometimes due to machine differences"

So my question is two fold, one has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the slave cylinder pin, and two, how do you know how "much" you are supposed to shave the pin to ensure it is functioning properly?

-Sayajin

"machine differences?" I hope that was a joke for the manufacture. What manufacture said that? I will be sure not to go near them.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:45 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
so that's it? topic goes dead.

I have found EVOMS and AMS alpha kit....look very similar. Yet, I only find postings about the EVOMS kit. Anyone have any insight into AMS one?

Also...I like the idea of removing lines and possibly swapping out to GT2 power steering pump and reservoir as well. Has anyone done this?

Old 09-12-2014, 03:09 PM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
I had the lines removed, but left the original pump. We sealed the holes on the pump.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by turboslut
so that's it? topic goes dead.

I have found EVOMS and AMS alpha kit....look very similar. Yet, I only find postings about the EVOMS kit. Anyone have any insight into AMS one?

Also...I like the idea of removing lines and possibly swapping out to GT2 power steering pump and reservoir as well. Has anyone done this?
I have the AMS kit paired with an ERP Triple. It seems to function quite well, no issues so far. Pedal is stiff as hell

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1TT To GT2 Clutch Slave Conversion