997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trade My 07 TT for a 10 ZR1 - Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Trade your Turbo for a ZR? Yes. Trade your Turbo for a C7? Hell no.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Thank you for your review and comments. Although my TT is a GREAT car it's still a TIP. I was a novice who didn't do due diligence before I bought it and as of late I've re-discovered the manual. I recently found several 09 TT 6-speeds and have considered those too. And, I found a 2008 Audi RS4 6-speed, convertible ($34K) that is also interesting. But, IMO, nothing to-date compares to a ZR1 when it comes to the " run and fun factor". It's truly an impressive car. But, it's true the interior isn't as good as Porsche's or Audi's but it has improved quite a bit from previous models. Anyway, as I narrow my search and define my requirements the ZR1 is still the leader.

Originally Posted by 512bb
I have a highly modified 2007 TT (engine and suspension, lightened about 200 lbs and have the GT2 carbon seats) and a 2008 Corvette Z06 with the engine totally modified with intake, cam, full exhaust, tune and intake). Both have about 570 hp and 530 lb/ft of torque to the wheels.

I love both cars and would be a very tough call as to which one I will keep if I only had to choose one. They are so different and engaging in their own rights. I have driven many ZR1's and know how they behave.

I have tracked all of the above and I have to say that from an engagement and fun factor, both on the road and on the track I will pick the ZR1. It is just a much more engaging car and just the fact that you are putting that much power through the rear wheels gives you a heightened sense and appreciation for the car.

All my cars are manuals and I refuse to go to PDK or automatics so far. There is a crowd that loves them because they go around the track faster, but they are not made into better drivers. The turbo with its all wheel drive masks so much and to boot it is much slower based on nurburgring times (if you choose to go by that). Those who have not gotten a turbo out of shape have not really pushed it hard enough to see how terrible that car is when/if you push it beyond it's limits. The Corvette in the same manner will bite you but in an entirely different way.

I am beyond impressed with the Vette's around the track and for the monies I put in to make the turbo a great track car, it is still an entirely different experience. I would much prefer driving the Vette as fast as I can rather than the turbo.

Having said all the schizo crap above, I refuse to get rid of one for the other but for fun I find that I tend to pick the Vette when I go for a ride (I generally take both keys with me as I park them side by side) , but as someone mentioned if you want to have a better smelling leather or better fit and finish take the turbo.

Let me know if you want me to go into any more details.

Cheers and good luck as you are a lucky man to be in the position you are in :-)

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM
roybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really nice
Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thank you for your review and comments. Although my TT is a GREAT car it's still a TIP. I was a novice who didn't do due diligence before I bought it and as of late I've re-discovered the manual. I recently found several 09 TT 6-speeds and have considered those too. And, I found a 2008 Audi RS4 6-speed, convertible ($34K) that is also interesting. But, IMO, nothing to-date compares to a ZR1 when it comes to the " run and fun factor". It's truly an impressive car. But, it's true the interior isn't as good as Porsche's or Audi's but it has improved quite a bit from previous models. Anyway, as I narrow my search and define my requirements the ZR1 is still the leader.
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure the interior isn't as bad as everyone says. German car owners love to use that as an excuse to say that any car that isn't their fav brand is crap . I wonder how chevy dealers treat ZR1s? I have never owned a Corvette, but w/ my other experiences with American cars it's been better to just ignore the minor quibbles rather than expect the dealer to care (not that Porsche would be any better).

Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roybotnik
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure the interior isn't as bad as everyone says. German car owners love to use that as an excuse to say that any car that isn't their fav brand is crap . I wonder how chevy dealers treat ZR1s? I have never owned a Corvette, but w/ my other experiences with American cars it's been better to just ignore the minor quibbles rather than expect the dealer to care (not that Porsche would be any better).

Yes the Corvette interior is garbage, I owned an 08 Z06 along with my 07 997.1TT and there was no comparison. I almost considered a ZR1 but it was not worth the extra 50k over my Z06. The seats were junk, the steering wheel garbage. Even with the 3ZR and the leather coverings it was not up to Porsche standards of the time. And yes the Porsche dealer and staff are much better than at a GM dealer.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM
topherxom is infamous around these parts
I traded my old Z06 for my current turbo. I've never owned a ZR1, but a very close friend of mine currently owns 4 (2 first gen's and 2 second gen's). He's owned around 9 total. I was going to buy one of his second gen's (MY2010) until I found my turbo for a great deal. Personally, I think its one of the fastest, most comfortable, and most fun daily drivers you can buy right now. My advise would be to buy MY2010 or newer, so you'll have PTM. Also make sure the ZR1 you choose doesn't have the dreaded steering wheel shakes. Normally happens between 65 and 75 mph. My friend said in his experience about 1 out of 3 have it. Its caused by the carbon rotors. Many people have cured the problem by replacing the old rotors with new ones or having the rotors balanced with the wheels. GM tightened their tolerance requirements with Brembo each year, which is why replacing them with newly manufactured rotors works.

If you need help finding the right car I'd be happy to get you in touch with my friend. If it's out there, he can find it for you. Good luck with the purchase and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Too bad you can't find a dealer to let you take it our for several hours and or over the weekend. I realize it's unrealistic to set that expectation but I believe it would provide you with much of the information you'll want.

In time we all get comfortable/accustomed to driving whatever it is. Performance wise these are very close. Yes the driving experience will be different, especially in the beginning and NA vs. turbo, but the AWD turbo is a beast too.

In time that's where fit and finish come into play. Personally I don't believe it's overstating the interior short comings for the vette in this regard. It's been a documented issue for some time and they now have finally done something about that with the incoming model.

Take your time and get some seat time as much as you can. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Used to own a C6 Z06 that went from stock to making 722whp while I owned it. Fun car, but I hated the interior. A month ago, before putting my deposit on a '14 C7 Stingray, I took this '09 ZR1 home. Car had 3k miles and was perfect. Drove the car for two days, and ended up taking it back and ordering the C7 instead (the C7 is a fantastic car, by the way). Again, hated the C6 interior.

The C6 ZR1 is pretty fast for a stock car, but overall it doesn't come close to the quality and feel of a 997. Only my opinion, of course.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	307701  

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Ryane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura aboutRyane8182 has a spectacular aura about
Vettes are a dime a dozen. You see them on every street corner. Great cars but just to common. The tt says a little more and I think is way more upscale.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 PM
lightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the roughlightning4570 is a jewel in the rough
No comparison in terms of overall quality and fit/finish IMHO. I've read that the new Stingray makes progress on some of these areas (seats, for example) but too many parts are coming from the GM bin…not likely to hold up in the mid-term, much less the long run. Current TT is my 3rd Porsche; all were fantastic in terms of build quality and reliability. My 2 cents...