997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Trade My 07 TT for a 10 ZR1 - Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Trade My 07 TT for a 10 ZR1 - Opinions

I test drove a red pristine 2010 Corvette ZR1 today. The price is $73,900 with 12K miles. What a car, it's everything I've ever read about it and more! I'm thinking of trading my TT for it. Who has owned a ZR1 in the past and would you do it?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM
E90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to all
I can't say that I've driven a ZR1 but it all depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle.

I owned a M3 at one point and sold it for a C63 after I became intoxicated with the torque and AMG exhaust noise. It turned out to be a short affair and I was soon longing for the quality and craftsmanship behind the M3.

Point is...both are great sports cars but the ZR1 is quite a different kind of vehicle...make sure to give it some good thought before you pull the trigger.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
ZR1 is a beast for sure. Ultimately you should do what you think makes you happy....but here's a thought....instead of trading in your TT, why not mod it up and fall in love with it all over again!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Keep both. See if the honeymoon fizzles, if so, then you still have the TT. If not, he who dies with the most toys wins.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM
DevonaBorel is infamous around these parts
thanks for the update it is really an impressive one for us

Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by 4ocious
I test drove a red pristine 2010 Corvette ZR1 today. The price is $73,900 with 12K miles. What a car, it's everything I've ever read about it and more! I'm thinking of trading my TT for it. Who has owned a ZR1 in the past and would you do it?
From an AWD car to a RWD is a real change in performance and safety. Off the line, vette can't hook up like your turbo and even in 1st-2nd gear change, the ***-end swings left if too much gas is applied. And too, this RWD change will be especially noted on wet pavement acceleration where you are going from great traction to slim to none. The seating in the vette is much lower getting in/out than ur turbo as well. Are they both manual trans?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
From an AWD car to a RWD is a real change in performance and safety. Off the line, vette can't hook up like your turbo and even in 1st-2nd gear change, the ***-end swings left if too much gas is applied. And too, this RWD change will be especially noted on wet pavement acceleration where you are going from great traction to slim to none. The seating in the vette is much lower getting in/out than ur turbo as well. Are they both manual trans?
with the 2009 in competition mode, with a tune on stock run flats you will not break the tires loose unless youve done extensive mods. i know i tried my damndest to beat the Traction/suspension setup loose it just wouldn't.
now not in competition driving mode it would kick out and was as you say.

the ZR1 is a very refined car, and i almost traded my 996tt for one. still think about it from time to time. its just a great touring car and alot of fun to drive.

i was amazed at how well it drove and handled beating on it and the carbon brakes perform great on the same level as pccb's and Ferrari's version.

comparing it to a gt30 kit protmotive 996tt making about 700whp the ZR1 is a a few car lengths slower but add a pulley and headers and that gap gets alot closer. (both cars manual transmission)

one thing to think about is the electronics in the car help you go faster if you like to track. read any of the reviews where they tested the Competition mode on the track its impressive.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM
roybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really nice
Originally Posted by 4ocious
I'm not sure this would be the best time to buy one since the new stingray just came out. I wonder what the new Z06 will be like? But wow that is a great price for that kind of performance..

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
prices on ZR1's have already taken a pretty good hit due to C7 roll out $10-15k in the last 6months or so

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
roybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really niceroybotnik is just really nice
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
prices on ZR1's have already taken a pretty good hit due to C7 roll out $10-15k in the last 6months or so
Personally I'd take a lesser C7 over a ZR1... I just love the way the new C7 looks inside and out. Just my opinion

Old 12-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by roybotnik
Personally I'd take a lesser C7 over a ZR1... I just love the way the new C7 looks inside and out. Just my opinion
they are great in picstures in person not as impressed id have to do some cosmetic upgrades some how, but a twin turbo kit on a C7 would be fun

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
You will find the materials in the Corvette as garbage compared to the Porsche.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
GRN96WS6 is infamous around these parts
They are both excellent cars, that would be one tough choice IMO. GM interiors leave a lot to be desired there's no doubt about that.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
clubspec330i is infamous around these parts
I was in similar boat..M3 to ZR1. After a long a hard consideration, ZR1 wasn't for me...handling wise. Though, it was an amazing car bar none.

Good luck..

Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
I have a highly modified 2007 TT (engine and suspension, lightened about 200 lbs and have the GT2 carbon seats) and a 2008 Corvette Z06 with the engine totally modified with intake, cam, full exhaust, tune and intake). Both have about 570 hp and 530 lb/ft of torque to the wheels.

I love both cars and would be a very tough call as to which one I will keep if I only had to choose one. They are so different and engaging in their own rights. I have driven many ZR1's and know how they behave.

I have tracked all of the above and I have to say that from an engagement and fun factor, both on the road and on the track I will pick the ZR1. It is just a much more engaging car and just the fact that you are putting that much power through the rear wheels gives you a heightened sense and appreciation for the car.

All my cars are manuals and I refuse to go to PDK or automatics so far. There is a crowd that loves them because they go around the track faster, but they are not made into better drivers. The turbo with its all wheel drive masks so much and to boot it is much slower based on nurburgring times (if you choose to go by that). Those who have not gotten a turbo out of shape have not really pushed it hard enough to see how terrible that car is when/if you push it beyond it's limits. The Corvette in the same manner will bite you but in an entirely different way.

I am beyond impressed with the Vette's around the track and for the monies I put in to make the turbo a great track car, it is still an entirely different experience. I would much prefer driving the Vette as fast as I can rather than the turbo.

Having said all the schizo crap above, I refuse to get rid of one for the other but for fun I find that I tend to pick the Vette when I go for a ride (I generally take both keys with me as I park them side by side) , but as someone mentioned if you want to have a better smelling leather or better fit and finish take the turbo.

Let me know if you want me to go into any more details.

Cheers and good luck as you are a lucky man to be in the position you are in :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade My 07 TT for a 10 ZR1 - Opinions