997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tunes and Plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
dm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant future
Tunes and Plugs

So I am at the point where I am ready to pull the trigger on a tune for the car. I am debating between Softronic and GIAC. I have read numerous threads on tuning philosophies and a lot of it makes no sense unless you are an engineer. Of course softronic reccomends going to colder plugs and some on the board mentioned that they have had problems if they didn't. Also seems the frequency of plugs changes is increased. After talking with GIAC they don't require a plug change except for the standard 997 turbo intervals. Whats the deal here? Can someone explain in simple terms why they are so different. BTW i will be using strictly 93 octane.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM
dm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant futuredm620 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We also recommend the use of a stock plug at flashed power levels. Service interval's are generally shorted slightly at high power levels.
That's good to know but in your experience why would a colder plug need to be used in the first place?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Softronic recommends the stock plugs re-gapped for stock applications and colder plugs depending on other mods such as Turbos , injectors and so on. The life will be reduced in the plugs as the loads are increased.

Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winner programmed by Softronic!
Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dm620
That's good to know but in your experience why would a colder plug need to be used in the first place?

You can call us and discuss if you like for a more in depth explanation.

Best,
Scott

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.

Last edited by Softronic; 12-16-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Text
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Just as an FYI, we even use the stock plugs, stock gap, at full power levels with both our 65mm and 68mm VTG's. I would agree that the service interval for changing them is shortened slightly, but that would most likely be the case with any plug in a higher HP application.

Heck, our built motor 3.8L cars are even using the stock plugs at power levels between 750 - 840 to the wheels. GIAC would have to chime in and explain the technicality of why/how that works, but we've got dozens of higher powered cars out there without any issues on the stock plugs.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
Giac can you chime in and explain ? I was under the impression we had to run colder plugs once tuned.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
This is a Tech link to NGK plugs pdf that offers a good description on heat ranges etc.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/te...plications.pdf

Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Still no real answers as to why. I have been impressed reading reviews on both companies and how their tunes perform and softronics excellent price but if you have to factor in a 1k spark plug job if you go with softronics then there isn't much difference. Hmmm what do, but at this point with softronic the only company that specifies a plug change it gives me a little pause. I know Scott said call but I think it would nice to share that info here for everyone.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
Still no real answers as to why. I have been impressed reading reviews on both companies and how their tunes perform and softronics excellent price but if you have to factor in a 1k spark plug job if you go with softronics then there isn't much difference. Hmmm what do, but at this point with softronic the only company that specifies a plug change it gives me a little pause. I know Scott said call but I think it would nice to share that info here for everyone.
I think I had already stated in a prior post that a plug change is NOT required and we recommend stock plugs.... I'm not sure why you are stating a 1k spark plug job is required with our software? Should you change turbos as in 30/76 as an example with exhaust, injectors and increase rpm etc then yes a colder plug would be used as a matter of mechanics. The post prior in which has the NGK Tech bulletin explains heat temps on plugs and use in these cases.
When your plugs are worn and require replacement does it matter who's tune you have as they have mechanically failed? At this time they will still have to be replaced and perhaps a tuner with knowledge in these areas is beneficial.

Just to clarify... Lets say you have a 997TT 2007 MY and you buy a Softronic flash. Do you HAVE to install Spark plugs at the same time? NO. Now should you have 15k on the stock plugs and run a Softronic flash or perhaps another flash should you replace the plugs? No unless they are mis-firing and a 93 octane flash would do so more than a 91 file by the boost and timing creating higher plug temps.

Best,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 12-16-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added info .
Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
From softronictuning.com:

Note: With the increased boost and horsepower, we highly recommend changing your spark plugs out to a 1 step colder plugs such as the Denso IK22 or the NGK BKREIX. Stock plugs with over 5000 miles will typically cause the car to misfire at peak torque around 4000rpm

BTW I have heard nothing but good things about your product, just trying to make sure I make the right choice. Thanks

Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
I think I had already stated in a prior post that a plug change is NOT required and we recommend stock plugs.... I'm not sure why you are stating a 1k spark plug job is required with our software? Should you change turbos as in 30/76 as an example with exhaust, injectors and increase rpm etc then yes a colder plug would be used as a matter of mechanics. The post prior in which has the NGK Tech bulletin explains heat temps on plugs and use in these cases.
When your plugs are worn and require replacement does it matter who's tune you have as they have mechanically failed? At this time they will still have to be replaced and perhaps a tuner with knowledge in these areas is beneficial.

Just to clarify... Lets say you have a 997TT 2007 MY and you buy a Softronic flash. Do you HAVE to install Spark plugs at the same time? NO. Now should you have 15k on the stock plugs and run a Softronic flash or perhaps another flash should you replace the plugs? No unless they are mis-firing and a 93 octane flash would do so more than a 91 file by the boost and timing creating higher plug temps.

Best,
Scott
Scott....Thanks for the link and the explanation! Good stuff. I have had your tune for a couple of years and still think it is an awesome tune. Not taking anything away from any other company/vendor/tuner....Just my personal opinion of your tune. I have the 93 Octane tune on a 997.1 TT and also Fabspeed Maxflo Ver 3 and a few other goodies. I think it runs like a scalded ape...Also always appreciate your great customer service and willingness to help and explain things....

For others out there....Scott spent a bunch of time on the phone with me when I was having issues with my car and helped me determine the real problem, which was an O2 sensor going bad.

The only "SUCKY" part about any of these tunes is the plug change. This car is a huge PIA to change plugs....I changed my Cayenne coils and plugs in no time...my wife's 987 Boxster S...Piece of cake....The Turbo....10 hours to fail! Unbelievable! That said, I bought a lift and am going to try it again...I think

DC

Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by therock88
Scott....Thanks for the link and the explanation! Good stuff. I have had your tune for a couple of years and still think it is an awesome tune. Not taking anything away from any other company/vendor/tuner....Just my personal opinion of your tune. I have the 93 Octane tune on a 997.1 TT and also Fabspeed Maxflo Ver 3 and a few other goodies. I think it runs like a scalded ape...Also always appreciate your great customer service and willingness to help and explain things....

For others out there....Scott spent a bunch of time on the phone with me when I was having issues with my car and helped me determine the real problem, which was an O2 sensor going bad.

The only "SUCKY" part about any of these tunes is the plug change. This car is a huge PIA to change plugs....I changed my Cayenne coils and plugs in no time...my wife's 987 Boxster S...Piece of cake....The Turbo....10 hours to fail! Unbelievable! That said, I bought a lift and am going to try it again...I think

DC
Hello,

Thank You for the input and yes the 996 and 997 Turbos as a rule are a bit a pain in the .... well you know to change the plugs. Since you have a lift I will personally fly up to your area while visiting other Porsche Dealers and install your plugs if you like for free? I will also go through your car as a certified Porsche Master mechanic and offer any tips or suggestions . Perhaps we could make it into a Porsche article for technical aspects

Best,
Scott

Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,

Thank You for the input and yes the 996 and 997 Turbos as a rule are a bit a pain in the .... well you know to change the plugs. Since you have a lift I will personally fly up to your area while visiting other Porsche Dealers and install your plugs if you like for free? I will also go through your car as a certified Porsche Master mechanic and offer any tips or suggestions . Perhaps we could make it into a Porsche article for technical aspects

Best,
Scott
Wow! If you are not joking, that is the nicest offer I have ever had. I would love to learn more about the car...This is how I relax....tearing it apart and usually(hopefully) getting it back together

If you are NOT joking, that would be awesome! I posted a picture of my car on my new lift...likely not up to snuff for what you are used to, but goes up until it hits my garage door opener. The two nearest dealers to me here in central Illinois are Isringhausen Porsche in Springfield, and Autohaus - Porsche of Peoria...Both about 45 min to 1 hour away from me...Not sure if you ever go to them.

I have the new coils and plugs ready to go....The weather here kind of crapped out, so the cars are just in the garage....So anytime between now and early next year / springish would be fine....Car runs OK...just hesitates with heavy boost.

You can document anything you want about the car, and I am happy to help to the extent I can....

I have your email from other correspondence and requests you and I have had regarding my car....So we can follow up there if you are serious....

Either way..always appreciate your help with issues...Thanks!

DC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lift1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	312094  
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
From softronictuning.com:

Note: With the increased boost and horsepower, we highly recommend changing your spark plugs out to a 1 step colder plugs such as the Denso IK22 or the NGK BKREIX. Stock plugs with over 5000 miles will typically cause the car to misfire at peak torque around 4000rpm

BTW I have heard nothing but good things about your product, just trying to make sure I make the right choice. Thanks

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion yet that site is not Softronic's and as stated run by Vivid as a dealer on the front page and also linked for payment. Vivid sells Softronic as does many other companies and we are looking into the conflicting issues. For future reference Softronic can be located directly at Softronic .us and forwarded to our new site of SoftronicSoftware.com . The site that is linked on 6speed by our advertisement and other forums is correct or by our signature below. Contacting us directly for any questions at 203-723-8928 could also eliminate any other issues.

Best,
Scott

Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by therock88
Wow! If you are not joking, that is the nicest offer I have ever had. I would love to learn more about the car...This is how I relax....tearing it apart and usually(hopefully) getting it back together

If you are NOT joking, that would be awesome! I posted a picture of my car on my new lift...likely not up to snuff for what you are used to, but goes up until it hits my garage door opener. The two nearest dealers to me here in central Illinois are Isringhausen Porsche in Springfield, and Autohaus - Porsche of Peoria...Both about 45 min to 1 hour away from me...Not sure if you ever go to them.

I have the new coils and plugs ready to go....The weather here kind of crapped out, so the cars are just in the garage....So anytime between now and early next year / springish would be fine....Car runs OK...just hesitates with heavy boost.

You can document anything you want about the car, and I am happy to help to the extent I can....

I have your email from other correspondence and requests you and I have had regarding my car....So we can follow up there if you are serious....

Either way..always appreciate your help with issues...Thanks!

DC

No I'm serious and lets get a date set up.

Best,
Scott

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tunes and Plugs