997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best Exhaust for 997.2 Turbo at Any Price

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Lots of Europipe lovers here (and rightfully so). I personally have a GMG and love it.

Edwin

Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Karman is infamous around these parts
Thanks Tim! I'll ask my dealer in the spring for the install.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yumaverick
Found the thread I was telling you about:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pics-vids.html

Best exhaust for the .2 hands down IMO. Yes he does have annoying loud brakes, but listen to the whistle of the turbos. Sounds very aggressive!
Originally Posted by JmanE55
Europipe gets my vote for both form and function.
Originally Posted by Tims997TurboS
I did a lot of reading and research before settling on an exhaust selection for my 997.2 Turbo. I wanted the best quality and sound at any cost. In the end, I went with the Europipe, and could not be happier.

Tim
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Lots of Europipe lovers here (and rightfully so). I personally have a GMG and love it.

Edwin
Thanks everyone for the info re Europipe...and yumaverick for the sound vids. In that regard, maybe the vid is picking up some strange tones but on decel, the turbos sound like a trash truck. I'm all for turbo whine when you floor it and you hear the WHOOOSH sound but when you let off the gas and you hear the turbo spool down it doesn't sound exotic at all...and sounds like the trash guy outside doing a pick up.

Am I just hearing this wrong??

Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dynamic gt2
Protomotive 3" NO drone at all and flows like race pipes.
Ok I'll look into this one.

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Couple of things, you get caught without cats in CA and you can expect to have your car yearly smogged and inspected at the State Referee, not a gas station, DMV or dealer. That ticket is not a regular fix it ticket and cannot be signed off and might cause the VIN to be flagged so future owners might have to go through the process. CHP loves the modified exhaust tickets much more than city traffic cops which I was and just the sound alone is PC to pull you over. I have cited dozens of these modified exhausts citations mostly for street racers and they are really pissed because it is a pain in the butt to get it smogged and most of them have stolen motors and all the smog equipment removed. Because of this I ended up buying the Shark Werks .2 exhaust which is much less than any other brand and will not fail a smog test or ear test.

If I were you I would just stick with the basic muffler replacement which will give you the sound you like and not fail a smog test or a red flag for cops. The exhaust I found at the best price and sound was the Shark Werks .2 exhaust. Very fair price, $1600 is 1/3 the price of others and easy install.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=329
Thx for the info. Reminds me to drive safe on the road so as not to give the police a reason to pull me over in the first place. Haven't had a ticket in Cali since the 80's (only one ticket when living in Hawaii for a few years). My M3 is loud and catless so this is a reminder to take it easy.

With the stage 2 system at 22psi, a catted system with the cats near the turbo will not work. EGTs will get too high. If there's cats, they need to come after the 90 deg bend.

Originally Posted by ryem3
Kline really makes a nice product. If cost were no object, I'd have them make one in Inconel. Not a lot of others offer such a product.
Cool I'll look into Kline also. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
honestly Adam, you know that turbo cars wont sound as good as a NA V8 engine! *flame suit on*

Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Thanks everyone for the info re Europipe...and yumaverick for the sound vids. In that regard, maybe the vid is picking up some strange tones but on decel, the turbos sound like a trash truck. I'm all for turbo whine when you floor it and you hear the WHOOOSH sound but when you let off the gas and you hear the turbo spool down it doesn't sound exotic at all...and sounds like the trash guy outside doing a pick up.

Am I just hearing this wrong??

You are hearing that correct. With a catless exhaust you'll get the trash truck sound between 1500 rpm and idle. That's with all catless exhausts on a 997.2 Turbo.

This is the same Europipe muffler but now with 100 cell sport cats at cold start. Once warmed up the sound becomes more civilized.

With the stage 2 system at 22psi, a catted system with the cats near the turbo will not work. EGTs will get too high. If there's cats, they need to come after the 90 deg bend.
From my experience 22psi with 100 cells works just fine. The older 993 Turbo has its cats after the 90 degree bend but whether the cats are positioned before or after the 90 degree bend doesn't really matter. What counts is the amount of resistance or backpressure inside the system. The stock exhaust has about 5.8psi backpressure while with our 100 cell system it is down to 2.2psi.

Here is a older thread about backpressure: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...kpressure.html

Hope this info helps.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
You are hearing that correct. With a catless exhaust you'll get the trash truck sound between 1500 rpm and idle. That's with all catless exhausts on a 997.2 Turbo.

This is the same Europipe muffler but now with 100 cell sport cats at cold start. Once warmed up the sound becomes more civilized.

From my experience 22psi with 100 cells works just fine. The older 993 Turbo has its cats after the 90 degree bend but whether the cats are positioned before or after the 90 degree bend doesn't really matter. What counts is the amount of resistance or backpressure inside the system. The stock exhaust has about 5.8psi backpressure while with our 100 cell system it is down to 2.2psi.

Here is a older thread about backpressure: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...kpressure.html

Hope this info helps.

Ahhh yes that sounds much better Stef. Looks like I'm going to want cats for sure then. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 PM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
I am in the same position as you are right now, and After days of research in my opinion is the Borla exhaust system or the bbi autosports stage 2, sound wise speaking, but start watching videos on you tube with a nice set of headphones, that will be your best judgment.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by 997ttR
I am in the same position as you are right now, and After days of research in my opinion is the Borla exhaust system or the bbi autosports stage 2, sound wise speaking, but start watching videos on you tube with a nice set of headphones, that will be your best judgment.

Thx for the info. Interesting that you like Borla and BBI.

I've always known Borla in general to make a sound on cars that I like. It tends to provide a uniform sound (no raspiness or farting) with deep tones down low and a higher pitch up top (so I need to hear it on a 997.2).

Interestingly probably why you like BBI as well because I just got a ride in a 997.2 Turbo S with the BBI 200 cel catted system (straight pipe no mufflers) on a 19psi car yesterday and it was fantastic!

The car sounded much more exotic than I expected. Pretty mello when cruising in Normal mode and then Sport mode made it much deeper. Top end was amazing. Screamed like a supercar should. Oh, and because of the cats, it didn't sound like a dump truck on decel. Of course the price of the BBI system is high but you get what you pay for right?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all

I've always known Borla in general to make a sound on cars that I like. It tends to provide a uniform sound (no raspiness or farting) with deep tones down low and a higher pitch up top (so I need to hear it on a 997.2).

Interestingly probably why you like BBI as well because I just got a ride in a 997.2 Turbo S with the BBI 200 cel catted system (straight pipe no mufflers) on a 19psi car yesterday and it was fantastic!

The car sounded much more exotic than I expected. Pretty mello when cruising in Normal mode and then Sport mode made it much deeper. Top end was amazing. Screamed like a supercar should. Oh, and because of the cats, it didn't sound like a dump truck on decel. Of course the price of the BBI system is high but you get what you pay for right?
I'm curious how the BBI car sounded. I'm guessing it sounded close to mine? (Cargraphics 200 cel cats with Sharkwerks straight pipe -- muffler bypass).

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I'm very happy with my Euro Pipe!

Walt

Old 12-28-2013, 09:18 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Ahhh yes that sounds much better Stef. Looks like I'm going to want cats for sure then. Thanks for the clarification!
Im down in Sun Diego if you want to meet up for an sound audition before you buy the EP!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
Any time, and bbi it is, you can't go wrong specially if you test drove it, I personally ordered the borla system, because I tried to get a hold of Betim at bbi several times but they are really hard to get a hold of so I got tired and ordered the borla, I should get it some time next week, and as soon I install it I will post some videos so you can listen to it.

Bobby P.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Zero911
I'm curious how the BBI car sounded. I'm guessing it sounded close to mine? (Cargraphics 200 cel cats with Sharkwerks straight pipe -- muffler bypass).

Good question. Can you describe the sound both crusing and also at WOT? Thx.

Originally Posted by JmanE55
Im down in Sun Diego if you want to meet up for an sound audition before you buy the EP!

Hey thanks for the offer!

Originally Posted by 997ttR
Any time, and bbi it is, you can't go wrong specially if you test drove it, I personally ordered the borla system, because I tried to get a hold of Betim at bbi several times but they are really hard to get a hold of so I got tired and ordered the borla, I should get it some time next week, and as soon I install it I will post some videos so you can listen to it.

Bobby P.

Cool I'm sure the Borla will sound awesome! Please do a vid of the sound (maybe Go Pro it while driving). Thanks!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Good question. Can you describe the sound both crusing and also at WOT? Thx.
Well I would say it is similar to your description but again I would think a lot of folks would use the same terms for their setups. I should probably make a video at some point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 997.2 Turbo at Any Price