997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best Exhaust for 997.2 Turbo at Any Price

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Best Exhaust for 997.2 Turbo at Any Price

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for an exhaust system for my 997.2 Turbo S. Interested in your input as I further my research.

The two overriding factors are power and sound. I don't want to say that money is no object, but I don't want to compromise with the exhaust system whatsoever. I didn't go cheap with my e92 M3 exhaust and I'm extremely happy with it. I paired the Akrapovic titanium mufflers with the bespoke MRF catless X pipe and it makes a deep hollow sound when cruising but an incredible almost F1 sound at higher RPMs and makes more HP than other M3's with the same supercharger system.

So in terms of power, whatever system I get cannot have cats next to the turbos as I'm going with the Champion/GIAC Stage 2 system with 22psi and so it either has to be catless or have the 100 or 200 CEL cats after the initial 90 degree bend from the turbos to prevent EGT's from getting out of control. I prefer having cats. There is at least one owner with a catted system running the Champion Stage 2 system with no EGT's issues (according to GIAC)...and the cats are after the 90 deg bend.

As far as sound goes on the 997.2's, I understand from searching other posts that's the car is still fairly quiet but that's ok. I don't want loud just to be loud. Sound quality is much more important. I would like the most exotic sound possible. I don't like "farting" or "rasp". Hollow and deep at lower RPMs (similar to the stock exhaust in "Sport" mode) and as high pitched when screaming toward redline. Not sure if this even possible with this motor ??

So far I'm considering the BBI Autosport 200 cel catted unit and the Champion Tubi catless system. I've heard good things about Klein sp? and while I like the sound (heard in simulation only) from the Ruf R 12, it has cats next to the turbos so that system is a non-starter.

Any input on the systems mentioned above in terms of my criteria? And any others that I should be thinking about?

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Klein makes a great exhaust for the money! I had a e92 m3 before this car with a AE performance slip on and fab speed x pipe. Sounded awesome. Going to be tough to match. I do love the sound of a euro pipe on the .2 turbos. If it was me I would do the Europipe if $ didn't matter and Klein if I was looking for an exhaust on a budget!

Look up europipe 997.2 Catless and there are 3 very good vids on 6speed from a white 997.2. They don't make Catless anymore, but the 100 cell cats won't hurt you for the power your making. I've heard the BBi exhaust and I wasn't really impressed. Tubi has horrible resale.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:23 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Found the thread I was telling you about:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pics-vids.html

Best exhaust for the .2 hands down IMO. Yes he does have annoying loud brakes, but listen to the whistle of the turbos. Sounds very aggressive!

Old 12-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Found this *New tubi for sale in the 6speed marketplace:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...brand-new.html

Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Protomotive 3" NO drone at all and flows like race pipes.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:39 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Couple of things, you get caught without cats in CA and you can expect to have your car yearly smogged and inspected at the State Referee, not a gas station, DMV or dealer. That ticket is not a regular fix it ticket and cannot be signed off and might cause the VIN to be flagged so future owners might have to go through the process. CHP loves the modified exhaust tickets much more than city traffic cops which I was and just the sound alone is PC to pull you over. I have cited dozens of these modified exhausts citations mostly for street racers and they are really pissed because it is a pain in the butt to get it smogged and most of them have stolen motors and all the smog equipment removed. Because of this I ended up buying the Shark Werks .2 exhaust which is much less than any other brand and will not fail a smog test or ear test.

If I were you I would just stick with the basic muffler replacement which will give you the sound you like and not fail a smog test or a red flag for cops. The exhaust I found at the best price and sound was the Shark Werks .2 exhaust. Very fair price, $1600 is 1/3 the price of others and easy install.

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=329

Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM
kqnjml has a spectacular aura aboutkqnjml has a spectacular aura about
The man did his homework!! Great advise.

Originally Posted by yumaverick
Klein makes a great exhaust for the money! I had a e92 m3 before this car with a AE performance slip on and fab speed x pipe. Sounded awesome. Going to be tough to match. I do love the sound of a euro pipe on the .2 turbos. If it was me I would do the Europipe if $ didn't matter and Klein if I was looking for an exhaust on a budget!

Look up europipe 997.2 Catless and there are 3 very good vids on 6speed from a white 997.2. They don't make Catless anymore, but the 100 cell cats won't hurt you for the power your making. I've heard the BBi exhaust and I wasn't really impressed. Tubi has horrible resale.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:38 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Europipe gets my vote for both form and function.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:43 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
How much is the Europipe.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
longboarder,

We have a great system/solution for the 997.2TT - our center muffler delete X-Pipe. It's very reasonable priced, offers the best sound we have heard on the 997.2TT and is constructed with 100% T304 stainless steel right here in the USA (fully tig welded by our very experienced and talented fabricators). IMO, this is the best sound and quality you can get for the 997.2TT regardless of price.

The .2TT is a very quiet motor and any muffler system sounds about the same as OEM. A muffler delete allows a little more sound to escape and our "X-Pipe" design adds a fantastic note to it - an exotic scream at WOT which transforms an otherwise weak sounding system...

The SpeedTech 997.2TT system is available as just a center muffler delete to be used with the OEM cats or with our cat by-pass pipes for unrestricted flow in high performance applications.

Pictured below...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	997_2TT_X_Pipe_center_muffler_delete_001.sized.jpg
Views:	4376
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	314709  
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Tims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to all
I did a lot of reading and research before settling on an exhaust selection for my 997.2 Turbo. I wanted the best quality and sound at any cost. In the end, I went with the Europipe, and could not be happier.

Tim

Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
I'm very happy with my Sharkwerks exhaust (muffler bypass).

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=329

Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Karman is infamous around these parts
Does changing the exhaust to Europipe Stage 1 void the warranty?
Anyone know of an excellent installer in MA?
I have a 2012 997.2 TT.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Tims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to allTims997TurboS is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Karman
Does changing the exhaust to Europipe Stage 1 void the warranty?
Anyone know of an excellent installer in MA?
I have a 2012 997.2 TT.
I asked my authorized Porsche dealer (who did my Europipe install) if the install voids any warranties on my 997.2 Turbo S. They stated that the exhaust warranty is void (this is a given), but all other engine and mechanical warranties remain intact.

Tim

Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Kline really makes a nice product. If cost were no object, I'd have them make one in Inconel. Not a lot of others offer such a product.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 997.2 Turbo at Any Price