997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Modified Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Would this be a suitable stand-in for bilsteins or even some stiffer springs? For a car with high horsepower, but only street driven (aggresively). Would this handle some of the handling/feel issues?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:46 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
i have been using either #1 or #3 for my street only 07 TT with stock suspension- bought it 6 months ago- it transforms the suspension without having to worry about rubbing front everywhere- very satisfied customer-

Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Thenewguy
Would this be a suitable stand-in for bilsteins or even some stiffer springs? For a car with high horsepower, but only street driven (aggresively). Would this handle some of the handling/feel issues?
Whether it is suitable depends on what you are looking for. I consider all 3 methods excellent improvement over stock and would recommend them highly, but here are the main differences to consider:

1. PASM modification (here you change the dampening force setting of the damper): does not lower the car, excellent reviews by all users. If you don't want to lower the car, this is the ONLY way to improve your suspension. It is also the least "invasive" way.
2. Lowering springs (here you change the spring): lowers the car fixed 20mm, also excellent reviews by users. Lowering is important both for look (the car looks much better to my eyes, but YMMV), and for handling (reduces center of gravity and weight transfer).
3. Coilover (here you change the damper AND the spring): lower the car varying amount 5mm to 20mm (better flexibility), damper designed for spring so better matching. If the car is going to see track work, this might be the one you should consider as it allows flexibility in ride height and spring rates. (TPC offers more expensive suspension tuning that combines Bilstein with PASM modification.)

Where you drive are important as to how much you should do: if your driving is all big city's freeways, I don't see much benefit in modifying the suspension too much. OTOH, if you live in mountainous area with tight canyon roads, the suspension of the Turbo is loose and ponderous and will have to be tightened in a big way. The smaller the turn radius (canyon vs. big oval), the more suspension tightening is needed.

All 3 systems are excellent - you will have to decide which one is best based on what you are looking for, and where you drive. And of course people have reported excellent result by combining 1, the TPC PASM modification, with 2 and 3.

Last edited by cannga; 06-13-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 40TO60N1
I've been waiting for a group buy since the start of this thread back in Dec 2013. I couldn't hold out any longer and picked it up two months ago. (It's worth it!) Not sure have others done the same.
I'm still waiting

Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Harris, do you have any at normal price?
Wondering if it just makes sense, instead of waiting for the group buy to fill up.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 AM
40TO60N1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Wondering if it just makes sense, instead of waiting for the group buy to fill up.
Yes, its a saving of $120... Don't torture yourself waiting for a group buy.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cannga
Whether it is suitable depends on what you are looking for. I consider all 3 methods excellent improvement over stock and would recommend them highly, but here are the main differences to consider:

1. PASM modification (here you change the dampening force setting of the damper): does not lower the car, excellent reviews by all users. If you don't want to lower the car, this is the ONLY way to improve your suspension. It is also the least "invasive" way.
2. Lowering springs (here you change the spring): lowers the car fixed 20mm, also excellent reviews by users. Lowering is important both for look (the car looks much better to my eyes, but YMMV), and for handling (reduces center of gravity and weight transfer).
3. Coilover (here you change the damper AND the spring): lower the car varying amount 5mm to 20mm (better flexibility), damper designed for spring so better matching. If the car is going to see track work, this might be the one you should consider as it allows flexibility in ride height and spring rates. (TPC offers more expensive suspension tuning that combines Bilstein with PASM modification.)

Where you drive are important as to how much you should do: if your driving is all big city's freeways, I don't see much benefit in modifying the suspension too much. OTOH, if you live in mountainous area with tight canyon roads, the suspension of the Turbo is loose and ponderous and will have to be tightened in a big way. The smaller the turn radius (canyon vs. big oval), the more suspension tightening is needed.

All 3 systems are excellent - you will have to decide which one is best based on what you are looking for, and where you drive. And of course people have reported excellent result by combining 1, the TPC PASM modification, with 2 and 3.
Perfect! Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping someone would explain for me. The car in question is a big hp car (1000whp range) and will not see track duty. It'll mostly be highway and roll events. I may take it to the blue ridge parkway every once in a while to enjoy the curves. What would you suggest in that instance? I'm thinking lowering springs because it handles both the aethestic AND some of the handling issues. Does that sound like a decent path to go down?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
subscribing

Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pureporsche
The normal price is $1,190.00 and with the group buy you save 10%

We have units in stock!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 AM
2K7TTMIA is infamous around these parts
Hey Harris, it's Ed from RL. do we call TPC to place an order ? Also sent an email

Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM
TurboRexed is infamous around these parts
I also could not wait any longer and received my DSC controller last week. Thanks Harris!

Agree with vaportrail on the changes to the handling. This is how it should have been as oem. On the RHD cars the unit is hidden on the left side of the passenger footwell, just in front of the door.

I actually prefer to do normal city and highway driving on the first position, but purely because the suspension light does not flicker.

Last edited by TurboRexed; 06-15-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Perfect! Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping someone would explain for me. The car in question is a big hp car (1000whp range) and will not see track duty. It'll mostly be highway and roll events. I may take it to the blue ridge parkway every once in a while to enjoy the curves. What would you suggest in that instance? I'm thinking lowering springs because it handles both the aethestic AND some of the handling issues. Does that sound like a decent path to go down?
You are welcome. 1000 hp, by Switzer? I assume then budget is not too much of an issue?

If you want to lower the car (and I do highly recommend this - car looks so much better when lowered IMHO, and of course handling will benefit also), then yes, you need to use lowering springs or coilover. Then you choices will come down to the following - all of them have been well reviewed and you won't go wrong with any:

1. Lowering springs alone - I would suggest something like GMG springs and sway bar, but Techart/TPC are all good combinations. This is probably the most popular choice because of relative simplicity and low cost. People who have these love the better handling, but only if you use stiffer springs like GMG/TPC/Techart (H&R springs are not stiffer than stock). 2 problems with this: one, you lower the car a fixed 20-24 mm and this might be too much for some, and two, you are still stuck with the schizophrenic stock 997.1 PASM (Normal too soft, Sport rock hard).

2. Lowering springs with TPC PASM module. An improvement over 1, because now you have TPC PASM settings, which from report is a big improvement over 997.1 stock PASM. The minor issue here is one, you lower the car a fixed 20-24 mm, and two, you are still using the stock damper (shock absorber), and three, the cost now approaches number 3 below.

3. Coilover (by KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc .): not as popular as the 2 above because of cost and complexity, but if you are the OCD type, I recommend this because it is all things considered the most "complete" (if not the cheapest) solution. You now have damper and springs that are made for each other and designed together as a package. The lowering is flexible 5-20mm; in my car it is 10mm. And if you eventually track the car, coilover gives you the most flexibility. Why the OCD comment? Change coilover and you don't have to wonder "what if"; there is nothing "better" at this point. In the case of Bilstein, you also know it is designed by the same engineers for the stock system, so there is nothing "after market" about it. You also retain PASM if you go with Bilstein Damptronic and note that the PASM is no longer schizophrenic when you switch to Bilstein coilover. If you don't care about PASM (like me) then buy the non-PASM version of Bilstein, or KW, or Ohlins.

4. Bilstein with TPC PASM module: It gets a little expensive here. You don't really need the TPC PASM module with Bilstein coilover as PASM program with Bilstein is pretty good, but you might want it . TPC is a racing concern and they "know" suspension, so whatever they do, you know is going to be "pretty good."

Last edited by cannga; 06-15-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
You are welcome. 1000 hp, by Switzer? I assume then budget is not too much of an issue?

If you want to lower the car (and I do highly recommend this - car looks so much better when lowered IMHO, and of course handling will benefit also), then yes, you need to use lowering springs or coilover. Then you choices will come down to the following - all of them have been well reviewed and you won't go wrong with any:

1. Lowering springs alone - I would suggest something like GMG springs and sway bar, but Techart/TPC are all good combinations. This is probably the most popular choice because of relative simplicity and low cost. People who have these love the better handling, but only if you use stiffer springs like GMG/TPC/Techart (H&R springs are not stiffer than stock). 2 problems with this: one, you lower the car a fixed 20-24 mm and this might be too much for some, and two, you are still stuck with the schizophrenic stock 997.1 PASM (Normal too soft, Sport rock hard).

2. Lowering springs with TPC PASM module. An improvement over 1, because now you have TPC PASM settings, which from report is a big improvement over 997.1 stock PASM. The minor issue here is one, you lower the car a fixed 20-24 mm, and two, you are still using the stock damper (shock absorber), and three, the cost now approaches number 3 below.

3. Coilover (by KW, Bilstein, Ohlins, etc .): not as popular as the 2 above because of cost and complexity, but if you are the OCD type, I recommend this because it is all things considered the most "complete" (if not the cheapest) solution. You now have damper and springs that are made for each other and designed together as a package. The lowering is flexible 5-20mm; in my car it is 10mm. And if you eventually track the car, coilover gives you the most flexibility. Why the OCD comment? Change coilover and you don't have to wonder "what if"; there is nothing "better" at this point. In the case of Bilstein, you also know it is designed by the same engineers for the stock system, so there is nothing "after market" about it. You also retain PASM if you go with Bilstein Damptronic and note that the PASM is no longer schizophrenic when you switch to Bilstein coilover. If you don't care about PASM (like me) then buy the non-PASM version of Bilstein, or KW, or Ohlins.

4. Bilstein with TPC PASM module: It gets a little expensive here. You don't really need the TPC PASM module with Bilstein coilover as PASM program with Bilstein is pretty good, but you might want it . TPC is a racing concern and they "know" suspension, so whatever they do, you know is going to be "pretty good."
I like the idea of the lowering springs. How is 24mm too much of a drop? It obviously is because people complain about it but coming from someone that isn't familiar I can't see why such a relatively small amount (24mm) would hurt anything? Would sway bars be mandatory with this?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor
Harris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant futureHarris@TPCRacing has a brilliant future
I like the idea of the lowering springs. How is 24mm too much of a drop? It obviously is because people complain about it but coming from someone that isn't familiar I can't see why such a relatively small amount (24mm) would hurt anything? Would sway bars be mandatory with this?

Sway bars are not mandatory for this upgrade, but they will definitely help better the handling of the car.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fskof
Which setting do you like the best on city streets?
I'm not the best judge to start with and I still havent put any real miles on the Turbo since I installed. All three settings were grouped much closer than before.

I'll report back after some I log some real miles later in the month.

One rather annoying thing, the light on the shock button flashes in accordance with the shock setting. I'm sure there is not any other practical solution for this but a flashing light anywhere in the car does bother me a bit. I'll get over it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified Stock Suspension