997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

GT2 style plastic spoiler lip for 997TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015 | 09:16 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
Take a picture of the box/label when it arrives and let's compare notes...
Will do...

Old 05-24-2015 | 02:28 PM
Uberm3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rix
I got it from "Xpert Tuning". It looks like most people have gotten them from 4caroption. I have a feeling though they are all drop shipped from the same place. I'll report back with some comments when it gets here, scheduled delivery is Wednesday via UPS.

Dan
Thanks - ordered mine from 4caroption as well. It probably is the same guy/"company" as Xpert Tuning (and the others). Fingers crossed.

Old 05-30-2015 | 11:50 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Uberm3
Thanks - ordered mine from 4caroption as well. It probably is the same guy/"company" as Xpert Tuning (and the others). Fingers crossed.
Received my front lip. Thought I would post up my experience. I'll start by saying I typically hate "knock off stuff" and am happy to pay a reasonable premium to get the real thing.

That said the price difference between the stock lip and aero lip is just complete BS - pure margin for Porsche and I really wanted the aero spoiler look. My car is a daily so I'm realistic that this thing will wind up like the factory standard lip currently on the car that I installed back in Sept of last year - scratched to hell.

I've vacillated on whether I like the deviated black lower trim vs. body color, but being a daily is the main reason I'm not painting it body color (then requiring the consequential clear bra wrap). I've driven lowered cars (I mean slammed like a DTM car) my whole life and have never experienced an overhang like that of the 997.

On to the spoiler: It came without warping in its box. The ebay lip is definitely not "OEM" quality, but at $175 all in, what can one expect? The finish is rough - too rough to slap it on IMO.

My process to get it in presentable shape was the following:
1. sand with 200 grit electric sander to get the flashing and rough edges and get a scuff on it so the paint would adhere. wipe with tac cloth.
2. paint with SEM Bumper coat - color: flexible black ($15).
3. wet sand with 400 grit - wipe with tac cloth
4. spray
5. wet sand with 800 grit - wipe with tac cloth
6. finish coat

Sounds like quite a bit of work, but I've got a decent amount of experience painting and enjoy these types of projects. All in I spent about 1hr (not including drying time in between). I'm happy with the results - the finish is what I'd call a 2ft job. The only change I would make in doing it again is perhaps make the first coat a high fill primer or flexible primer to improve fill a few more of the imperfections.

I'll try to post some pics once I have it mounted. All in all I think it will do just fine for the 6 months it will likely last

Last edited by Uberm3; 05-30-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:05 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Good objective write up Uberm. I believe that the quality may have declined a bit since I got my two last year. I could have installed mine with no refinishing at all, and I believe that it would have been acceptable. I did, however have it finished in body color for aesthetics, but my car is not a daily driver and is not lowered.

Old 05-30-2015 | 02:13 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Received my front lip. Thought I would post up my experience. I'll start by saying I typically hate "knock off stuff" and am happy to pay a reasonable premium to get the real thing.

That said the price difference between the stock lip and aero lip is just complete BS - pure margin for Porsche and I really wanted the aero spoiler look. My car is a daily so I'm realistic that this thing will wind up like the factory standard lip currently on the car that I installed back in Sept of last year - scratched to hell.

I've vacillated on whether I like the deviated black lower trim vs. body color, but being a daily is the main reason I'm not painting it body color (then requiring the consequential clear bra wrap). I've driven lowered cars (I mean slammed like a DTM car) my whole life and have never experienced an overhang like that of the 997.

On to the spoiler: It came without warping in its box. The ebay lip is definitely not "OEM" quality, but at $175 all in, what can one expect? The finish is rough - too rough to slap it on IMO.

My process to get it in presentable shape was the following:
1. sand with 200 grit electric sander to get the flashing and rough edges and get a scuff on it so the paint would adhere. wipe with tac cloth.
2. paint with SEM Bumper coat - color: flexible black ($15).
3. wet sand with 400 grit - wipe with tac cloth
4. spray
5. wet sand with 800 grit - wipe with tac cloth
6. finish coat

Sounds like quite a bit of work, but I've got a decent amount of experience painting and enjoy these types of projects. All in I spent about 1hr (not including drying time in between). I'm happy with the results - the finish is what I'd call a 2ft job. The only change I would make in doing it again is perhaps make the first coat a high fill primer or flexible primer to improve fill a few more of the imperfections.

I'll try to post some pics once I have it mounted. All in all I think it will do just fine for the 6 months it will likely last
You have just scared me with your reply, mine gets in on Monday😁

Old 05-30-2015 | 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Boosted TTS
You have just scared me with your reply, mine gets in on Monday😁
Well, I consider myself pretty **** (my wife would say very). The finish I have now is miles away from where it was and has a "factory look". That said the real issue with these is the seam on the sides where it just wasn't assembled well and isn't flush. I think the for will be for so it really about the cosmetics. I wouldn't be scared - assess yours when you get it and go from there.

Old 05-30-2015 | 05:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I just installed mine. I simply sanded with 600 grit spending more time on the side seams making them near invisible, then flexidip or whatever its called 3 coats so now you cant see the seam at all. Let it dry overnight and installed this morning. Fit is tight and on the sides it sticks out just a mm or so but so did the stock one on one side so cant complain.

Its worth 3x the price if you ask me.

Old 05-31-2015 | 01:26 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Well, I consider myself pretty **** (my wife would say very).
TMI!! TMI!!

Mine came from Xpert Tuning this week. Box dimensions were 59 3/4 x 2 1/2 x 27. It was a slight bit narrower than the front lip, but it was not bent or otherwise damaged by being squeezed a little bit.

Address it came from;

15305 Stafford St.
City of Industry, CA 91744

I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet other than tear back a bit to check the finish. Seems like a surprisingly high quality part for $159 in the Porsche world, I'm going to have it painted and clear bra covered this week. I'll post pics when it's done.

Old 05-31-2015 | 12:23 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !

Some pics to go along with my post above:

Old 05-31-2015 | 02:53 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Looks good - Gmoney...

DC

Old 05-31-2015 | 08:59 PM

Looks good.

Manuel

Old 06-01-2015 | 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by rix
TMI!! TMI!!
Sorry dude - . Maybe "particular" is a better word. Bottom line - mine was a turd out of the box compared to the stock $200 OEM porsche one I bought - now it looks closer to factory quality. It also had a blem on the left corner in addition to the ridges on the ends. The one from GMoney looks much better. YMMV.

Old 06-01-2015 | 10:30 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !

Looking Good G'Money! Guess I should consider dipping mine.

Nice!

Old 06-01-2015 | 10:34 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
TMI!! TMI!!

Mine came from Xpert Tuning this week. Box dimensions were 59 3/4 x 2 1/2 x 27. It was a slight bit narrower than the front lip, but it was not bent or otherwise damaged by being squeezed a little bit.

Address it came from;

15305 Stafford St.
City of Industry, CA 91744

I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet other than tear back a bit to check the finish. Seems like a surprisingly high quality part for $159 in the Porsche world, I'm going to have it painted and clear bra covered this week. I'll post pics when it's done.

Mine came from the same address. Shipment came in just fine.

Old 06-01-2015 | 10:44 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Have had mine on for almost a year now. I painted it to match Basalt Black Metallic and Clear coat. It was held up very well IMO.

DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 style plastic spoiler lip for 997TT?