997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Steering Wheel Oscillation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Steering Wheel Oscillation

I have a 997.2 Turbo S but just spoke with the owner of a 991 4S at the track yesterday and he said that he had the same issue.

It's more pronounced with PASM on, but I've felt it with PASM off as well.

Bottom line is that on hard cornering, the steering wheel oscillates and is extremely bothersome. So bothersome that I refuse to even take it to the track or even corner hard on the street.

What is causing this oscillation and what is the cure? For a car with such a racing pedigree, it doesn't make sense to me that Porsche would do this to any car in their lineup.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
What do you mean by oscillate? And yes I understand what the word means, I just don't understand that in the context of your steering wheel. I can understand shake, shudder, vibrate. But oscillate?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
What do you mean by oscillate? And yes I understand what the word means, I just don't understand that in the context of your steering wheel. I can understand shake, shudder, vibrate. But oscillate?

From Wikipedia: Oscillation is the repetitive variation, typically in time of some measure about a central value (often a point of equilibrium) or between two or more different states. A familiar example includes a swinging pendulum.

In a turn, the steering wheel moves clockwise, then counterclockwise then clockwise, etc maybe 1-2centimeters (very quickly) for the duration of the turn.

Last edited by longboarder; 01-06-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Never noticed it on or off the track. What are your alignment values? Oscillation as described maybe what you feel as a result of under steer

Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
it happened to me once during spirited driving. The steering wheel sort of felt loose.

After the KW's haven't experienced it all. May have something to do with less body roll.