997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does anyone offer flexifuel ecu for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Does anyone offer flexifuel ecu for Porsche?

Ecutek has this for the GT-R. You can run either regular pumpgas or e85. in their new version it lets you mix the two, you dont have to run the tank empty before putting in e85 or regular gas, you can mix them and the ecu adjusts. I have never seen anything similar for Porsche turbo. Its just strict E85 if you do a conversion? Is their any tuner that offers flexifuel for Porsche? That would make life much easier if youre considering E85 conversion.

Last edited by sideWays_swe; 01-12-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
A few tuners do E85 tunes but all of them that I have seen have done fuel upgrades while moving to E85. This leads me to believe the stock fuel setup(either injectors, pump or lines) cant keep up with the fueling needs of E85.

A lot of tuners do Pump and Race gas (100 octane) tunes though.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
A few tuners do E85 tunes but all of them that I have seen have done fuel upgrades while moving to E85. This leads me to believe the stock fuel setup(either injectors, pump or lines) cant keep up with the fueling needs of E85.

A lot of tuners do Pump and Race gas (100 octane) tunes though.
Yes you have to do injectors etc when going E85. You have to do that on the GT-Rs aswell. But on the GT-Rs (with Ecutek tune) you can still choose to run it on pump gas or e85 and the ECU adjusts to what gas you are running. I have not heard of any tuners offering that for a Porsche turbo. Not every gasstation offers E85 so it would be awesome if you could fill it up with 91 from time to time.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Guys are running 91 with E85 tunes if need be but most are staying out of the boost when they do.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
Guys are running 91 with E85 tunes if need be but most are staying out of the boost when they do.
I understand that you can do that. But with ecutek flexfuel you dont have to worry about hitting boost when youre filling up 91. Is there not something similar for Porsche?

http://www.ecutek.com/Products/Trade...ntrol-(2).aspx

Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
swe,
the ecu doesnt allow it. you'de have to do a standalone, and then just put a flex fuel sensor in the gas tank.

Last edited by DNugget991GT3; 01-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
Ecutek has this for the GT-R. You can run either regular pumpgas or e85. in their new version it lets you mix the two, you dont have to run the tank empty before putting in e85 or regular gas, you can mix them and the ecu adjusts. I have never seen anything similar for Porsche turbo. Its just strict E85 if you do a conversion? Is their any tuner that offers flexifuel for Porsche? That would make life much easier if youre considering E85 conversion.
If you want complete FlexFuel (any blend of ethanol from normal pump gas to straight E85), you're gonna need to go standalone. ProEFI was the first to release FlexFuel mapping, but I do believe that Syvecs & the AEM Infinity also have this feature. Not sure about AEM Infinity, but I am 100% sure that both ProEFI (BBi & Evolution Motorsport both support it) & Syvecs (Switzer) work on Porsches.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
swe,
the ecu doesnt allow it. you'de have to do a standalone, and then just put a flex fuel sensor in the gas tank.
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
If you want complete FlexFuel (any blend of ethanol from normal pump gas to straight E85), you're gonna need to go standalone. ProEFI was the first to release FlexFuel mapping, but I do believe that Syvecs & the AEM Infinity also have this feature. Not sure about AEM Infinity, but I am 100% sure that both ProEFI (BBi & Evolution Motorsport both support it) & Syvecs (Switzer) work on Porsches.
Thank you both for your answers. So you have to do a standalone because the stock ECU does not allow it, to bad. A standalone Ecu are a bit to much modifing for me. I was thinking about getting a tune and all the other bits that is needed for e85 and to be able to run pumpgas when needed on my GT2.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
My car is flex-fuel. I have a syvecs ECU. Contact Ryan at syvecs and he will get you squared away.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
EPL has my car tuned for E85 and I also have a 93 map. Keep in mind e85 needs supporting mods for cooling and fueling such as injectors. You just need to download the tune to your laptop off the EPL server and have wifi connected to switch it on your car. They suggest you empty the tank all the way. I only do it in my garage where Wifi is available but im sure there are some sort of tablet devices that can give you internet from anywhere that you can have the software downloaded on and obd cable to flash!

This is one way of having e85 without a standalone ecu, and I have also heard that standalones are great but have no place being in a street car.

Last edited by salerno713; 01-13-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by salerno713
I have also heard that standalones are great but have no place being in a street car.
Who says?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
Thank you both for your answers. So you have to do a standalone because the stock ECU does not allow it, to bad. A standalone Ecu are a bit to much modifing for me. I was thinking about getting a tune and all the other bits that is needed for e85 and to be able to run pumpgas when needed on my GT2.
You can have a stock DME tune with different maps, one for 93 octane and another for E85. But what you're looking for (complete FlexFuel, the tune automatically adjusts for varying ethanol percentage) you'll need a standalone EMS on a Porsche.

Originally Posted by salerno713
This is one way of having e85 without a standalone ecu, and I have also heard that standalones are great but have no place being in a street car.
This isn't what he was looking for. And what you heard is different from what's true. For high power setups, a Standalone EMS will allow for the motors full potential to show while offering significantly more protection for the motor. You can only readjust so many OEM tables (that were designed for K24/K18/VTG turbos and very conservative street tunes) before you've exceeded the capability of the factory setup. If we look at some other high HP "street cars", please explain why UGR's Lambos are run off Motec, ProEFI/AEM Infinity on Turbo E46 M3s, ProEFI/Syvecs on the GTRs.

There's a reason why some high profile shops are picking up standalones -- BBi & EVOMS both support ProEFI, Switzer uses Syvecs, and AMS has experience with both.

Originally Posted by kpt6
Who says?
Tony from EPL, who tunes on the stock DME.

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 01-13-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying Tony from EPL is wrong, but he simply made a statement and provided zero reasons for his beliefs. Not that I have a ton of experience on the Porsche side of things, but I don't really know of any negatives for running one on a street car. If there truly are negatives, I'd like to know what they are, rather than just have someone say there are negatives with no reasons to back that statement up.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of

For high power setups, a Standalone EMS will allow for the motors full potential to show while offering significantly more protection for the motor. You can only readjust so many OEM tables (that were designed for K24/K18/VTG turbos and very conservative street tunes) before you've exceeded the capability of the factory setup. If we look at some other high HP "street cars", please explain why UGR's Lambos are run off Motec, ProEFI/AEM Infinity on Turbo E46 M3s, ProEFI/Syvecs on the GTRs.

There's a reason why some high profile shops are picking up standalones -- BBi & EVOMS both support ProEFI, Switzer uses Syvecs, and AMS has experience with both.

I cant speak for everyone and their tuning setups with such different variables between tuners,parts and budgets; there is a way to make your car run on 91/ e85 truly flex fuel, but such little info/proven setups so far in the tuning world of big hp. Best opinion you can get on here is just to locate your local tuner and see what he/she says. Standalones typically try to maximize performance by showcasing their anti-lag launch features and boost by gear options(hence the nefty price) but rarely utilized mainly for the sake of using flexfuel but hey technically I guess its possible.

In my case, accommodating an ethanol setup on a budget without a standalone is possible.Not true flex fuel but capability to switch with full potential of each fuel. From my experience I know the stock ecu can safely control high horsepower on built motors like mine for instance with enough power to max out our fuel systems, and even a pair of gt3076 or gt35s on e85 with the capability to adjust tables,control boost smoothly and have stock like drivability. I was skeptical about making the switch over to e85 but it is becoming more available in my area and I never really run 93 anymore for the sake of leaving that power on the table whenever I drive. Addicted to the Tortilla juice.

Good luck!

Last edited by salerno713; 01-14-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 AM
Stroker is infamous around these parts
I will use a socket with 2 chips and a switch.
This is available for the MED7.
So you are able to switch between two
mappings one for "normal" fuel
Or low boost and one for something else.

Regards

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone offer flexifuel ecu for Porsche?