997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

ECU Tunes for the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
notso5 is infamous around these parts
ECU Tunes for the track

I am considering a tune for the Turbo. GIAC, Softronic, FVD….etc
What is the consensus for the use of them for track days?
The tunes seem to produce an abundance at power but is this power a detriment to the life of the engine?
If Porsche didn’t ‘uncork’ this power at the factory has anyone considered why?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i would consider a tpc tune. they make tunes specific for the track.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
make sure your coolant pipes are FIXED first before doing any track stuff.

Last edited by sharkster; 01-17-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
make sure you're coolant pipes are FIXED first before doing any track stuff.

+ 1 good advice!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by notso5
I am considering a tune for the Turbo. GIAC, Softronic, FVD….etc
What is the consensus for the use of them for track days?
The tunes seem to produce an abundance at power but is this power a detriment to the life of the engine?
If Porsche didn’t ‘uncork’ this power at the factory has anyone considered why?
We work with many race teams, and as such have the luxury of testing all of our files on the track. We have done the software for GMG's cup cars, Motorsport Services Limited in New Zealand, E51 Tuning in Taiwan, and others. This allows us to test the cars in a variety of racing scenarios, whether it be a simple autocross or a full endurance race like the Bathurst 12 Hour.

Most owners purchase our software upgrade because they want better performance on the track, and if the cars were having issues with the tune we would certainly hear about it .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48-hours-of-sebring-porsche-2012.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	323547   Click image for larger version

Name:	420230_10150720319300289_157807665288_11622349_661755533_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	323548   Click image for larger version

Name:	420445_10150720289065289_157807665288_11622185_1155791916_n.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	323549   Click image for larger version

Name:	E51entry2.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	323550  

Last edited by Andrew@GIAC; 01-21-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
The other thing I would reccomend is descent coolers for track work as no matter what tune you descide to use heat soak is imminent.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
The other thing I would reccomend is descent coolers for track work as no matter what tune you descide to use heat soak is imminent.

^^ What he said.

http://www.championmotorsport.com/pr...s-997t-int.htm

Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Oh and make sure that if you do buy intercoolers that the vendor provides real data logs of why they are better than what you have in your car and not just because they say so.

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-21-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
The best suggestion for track software would be to find a local shop that supports local track customers and go into more depth on the reliability issue. We have a few dealers in your area who have many Turbo track customers that are running our software. They can give you a local perspective on how our software will perform on the track and give you a better idea of what to expect. I just pm'd you their contact information.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I'm interested in intercoolers that would significantly improve charge air cooling with no pressure loss over the 997.2 turbo S intercoolers I currently have. Are their such intercoolers?

Champion, can you provide data logs to show that your intercoolers will significantly improve on what I currently have?

Thanks,

Walt

Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by WaltB
I'm interested in intercoolers that would significantly improve charge air cooling with no pressure loss over the 997.2 turbo S intercoolers I currently have. Are their such intercoolers?

Champion, can you provide data logs to show that your intercoolers will significantly improve on what I currently have?

Thanks,

Walt

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oler-test.html

Post 148 are the results.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
GTRNICK,

Unfortunately I don't understand any of that. I have no idea what an aerospace intercooler is or what the others are or even if mine is the same as a GT2RS intercooler?

Can you break it down into a simple paragraph as to what I have and how it compares to what Champion is selling?
Would I see a significant performance increase by switching to the Champion intercoolers?

I have no idea.

Thanks,

Walt

Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM
GTRNICK,

Unfortunately I don't understand any of that. I have no idea what an aerospace intercooler is or what the others are or even if mine is the same as a GT2RS intercooler?

Can you break it down into a simple paragraph as to what I have and how it compares to what Champion is selling?
Would I see a significant performance increase by switching to the Champion intercoolers?

I have no idea.

Thanks,

Walt

Right you have a gen 2 turbo.

The coolers in your car are also known as the GT2 RS coolers.

That test was an independent test in a special wind tunnel designed to test intercooler cores for race teams and OEM etc...etc... between the coolers that use an aero space fin design vs your coolers aka GT2 RS vs techart coolers and at 28 degree C at a maximum wind speed of 20mph using 1.5bar of boost the aerospace coolers won and the GT2 RS coolers came in second over the techarts!!!

As for the champion coolers I have know experience with them so I cannot comment how great they are in comparison and it's one of those situations where you have to maybe buy them and take data logs before and after to see the difference.

Great wheels by the way I have them in matt black.

Have you ever felt such a light weight wheel?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks,

Until I can get some comprehensive testing that shows another intercooler will in fact improve significantly over what I currently have I am not interested in swapping them out. I am also not interested in purchasing and testing to see IF they improve or not.

The OZ Supers are very light,,,,,surprisingly so actually.

Walt

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Thanks,

Until I can get some comprehensive testing that shows another intercooler will in fact improve significantly over what I currently have I am not interested in swapping them out. I am also not interested in purchasing and testing to see IF they improve or not.

The OZ Supers are very light,,,,,surprisingly so actually.

Walt
For what it's worth, the Champion intercoolers are the only added requirement for our "9-second" file. We recently had a Turbo S on our dyno that added the CMS intercoolers and received the corresponding file upgrade.

Here is the before and after dyno, the first being a comparison with CMS intercoolers and the upgraded file on 91 octane, and the second being the results on 91 and 100 octane.

Tom likely has all the specific data, but from what we see on the dyno and through data logs, the CMS intercoolers will produce lower IAT's and have less pressure loss than the 997.2 intercoolers. This equates to added timing advance and more boost at the same duty cycle. These results are further amplified as you step up to larger turbos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pifer_extreme_91_v_old.png
Views:	267
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	323729   Click image for larger version

Name:	pifer_extreme_91_109.png
Views:	261
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	323730  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tunes for the track