997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Extended warranty opinions…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
CodeBlue911 is infamous around these parts
Extended warranty opinions…

Hey all.

I'm quite sure I'll be keeping my Turbo S for the next 5+ years. I only have 1 year left on the factory warranty and was thinking of getting an extended warranty. I was hoping for some opinions. Here are my options...

1. Pay approx $2800 for a Porsche extended warranty for two additional years. I have a contact where I can "purchase" a CPO on my own car. Obviously, the draw back is it's only 2 more years. (which will only be 7-8k more miles.)

2. Buy an aftermarket warranty. I don't know where to even start and I was hoping for some input of prices, deductible, & length of warranty.

3. Don't buy an extended warranty and just pay for any issues that may occur (hopefully, nothing major.)

Of note, I only drive 3-4K per year. So far, I've only had a window motor issue and creaking visor issue. She has 9500 miles. No track driving.

Big thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
You will find lots of posts about this. More on the 997.1 than .2 but same dilemma nonetheless.

I was in a similar position 3.5 yrs ago. Factory warranty about to expire and wanted the piece of mind that comes with the protection. I weighed the pros/cons and opted to purchase the warranty. I bought it direct from the dealer - EasyCare 4yr policy, 75k miles and $250 deductible. The 75k in miles was of little concern as I had 12k miles at the time and 3.5 yrs later the car has 20k. (send me a PM if you want the price i paid)

I based my decision on some of the "little" things that can creep up on these cars and decided what was best for me. Now I have only used the warranty once to have all 4 TPMS sensors replaced. This was great as the bill was more than 1k @ the dealer. I know some will argue this can be done for much less elsewhere but I have the car serviced at the dealer every year and this met my needs.

I believe the CPO is great but not worth the expense at the point you're at. If considering spending that much I would pay more and get double the coverage through EasyCare, Fidelity, etc. It's a fairly easy process to purchase these policies at most Porsche dealers.

In the end its really up to you. My guess is based on your mileage you can find a policy in the $3,500-$5k range with the mileage and deductible you want.

Good luck.